Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our project 66, tetanus shot not included.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

A quick update for today - I bought these...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and with them, I cleaned this.

Another hour with the wire wheels, and a bit of time with the beast of a pressure washer my buddy just dropped off to me, and this trans can go back in.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

I recommend changing out the half axle boots, nose cone gasket, and side cover gaskets before putting it back in. Looking good.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I recommend changing out the half axle boots, nose cone gasket, and side cover gaskets before putting it back in. Looking good.

Already on my shopping list brother! Thanks man!
mhodge00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Great job! I've loved reading back through all this (new member here). I've been looking for one here in the area (north east ATL area) to start with. Gonna be a tough one but it'll get done. I'm in no hurry.

In the meantime, keep up the great work!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

I would recommend you paint the transaxle. They corrode decently easily. You got the hard part down. Also, if you are a purist, the factory painted transaxles black from the factory in a lot of cases.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

mhodge00 wrote:
Great job! I've loved reading back through all this (new member here). I've been looking for one here in the area (north east ATL area) to start with. Gonna be a tough one but it'll get done. I'm in no hurry.

In the meantime, keep up the great work!

Hello mate and welcome to the samba. There’s a wealth of knowledge and good folks on here for sure. Thanks for the good vibes. Good luck finding your own car…. There’s a bargain out there for everyone just keep your Volkswagen Radar on the highest setting and knock, call and peek over every fence, at every possibility.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
I would recommend you paint the transaxle. They corrode decently easily. You got the hard part down. Also, if you are a purist, the factory painted transaxles black from the factory in a lot of cases.

For sure! Thanks man. I think the case is magnesium? Definitely soft that’s for sure. It’ll dull up real fast.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Nothing particularly exciting done on the 66 this weekend aside from I began sound deadening, and also cleaned up the proportioning valve and ordered all the brake parts from WW.

Myself and wifey spent some time working on our vanagon together. It was a beautiful day.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Decided to pull the front brakes apart and see what’s what.

I now have a tool cart organized for when I get all the new parts. Old parts are here to be cleaned when I can be bothered (Sunday night we went to SLC to see a band so we are soooooo tired today)

Until tomorrow!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Update: the parts from Wolfsburg West have shipped and should be with me by Wednesday 5th end of day. Lovely jubbly.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Update: the parts from Wolfsburg West have shipped and should be with me by Wednesday 5th end of day. Lovely jubbly.

It's looking GREAT man!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

BSheldon wrote:
The Pilch wrote:

It's looking GREAT man!

Thank you brother!
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Just read the whole thread, great work! Your pan looks awesome! I wish both of mine looked that fresh!

Casey
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
Just read the whole thread, great work! Your pan looks awesome! I wish both of mine looked that fresh!

Casey

Thanks Casey!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Wed 4th May and it's always exciting to return home from work and find this...

Incredibly, my CIP1 order and my Wolfsburg west order arrived at exactly the same time. In the boxes, lovely fresh brake parts, and various rubber seals, trans mounts, steering coupler, body to pan seal, bushes and stuffs an' things.

Unfortunately, the next couple of weeks are taken up by another job - I've agreed to help a friend out with some VW work, which will go a long way towards more parts for this project. I think Sunday will be the first available slot to start installing these brake parts, so my progress is going to take a substantial hit. Eeeek.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

For sure! Thanks man. I think the case is magnesium? Definitely soft that’s for sure. It’ll dull up real fast.

Yeah, good advice, that trans looks great, but it'll be covered with white fuzz in no time, and that would be a shame.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Hi guys, hope you are all doing well and had a good week?

My week was a tough one, overworked at my day job, and I've been helping out at my friends shop on this cool little '70, that needs a body-off heater channel job

...and while I'm at my friends shop, I've been eyeing up this sweet little '58 for us. We want it. It should be ours!

Anyways, today was the first day I've had to start installing the new parts. Firstly, old vs new...

...and I have to get busy cleaning and overhauling the pedal cluster, because this one is a little haggard

I dropped the new fuel line grommets in

and began work on the m/c and the lines to and from.

the long line from the m/c to the rear proportioning valve came from WW folded up! So it took me ages to straighten it out. I won't show you a pic as I'm not very happy with it.
Here's it coming into the proportioning valve and out again.

...and a new nose cone bushing

This took much longer than expected, but it's moving forward. Still lots to do. Monday already tomorrow Sad
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Today was a long day, I did a lot of hours on the Vanagon body, then moved over to the 66. Firstly, axle boots...

Then with the new bushings in place I put the trans back in...

tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

Lookinʻ good, man- keep plugginʻ. Any leads on a body yet?
Youʻre right about that ʻ58- really sweet! Just hop in and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Our project 66, tetanus shot not included. Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Lookinʻ good, man- keep plugginʻ. Any leads on a body yet?
Youʻre right about that ʻ58- really sweet! Just hop in and go...

Hi mate, no leads on a body yet. A 61 came along but my glass won't fit that. I'll keep on plugging brother!

Today, I bolted up the rear end and snapped three of the six bolts that hold the spring plates to the axles. oooops...add to shopping list.

Then it was time to replace the axle seals. A lovely job. If you like bad fitting stuff.

Nothing of much interest but she is moving along nicely. I have 4 matching correct rims now, and I'm rebuilding the brakes on each corner, which as you know takes a while.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: