Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ww okrasa heads chamber
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: ww okrasa heads chamber Reply with quote

Does anybody know rhe chamber volume of these heads? Also am I suppised to run the copper head gaskets with these heads?
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I called them and was told that the chamber volume is approximately 45cc. The stock heads are 45-47. The add for the ww kit says that the compression with their heads is 7.5:1. How is that? With my math all things being equal otherthan a 2 cc smaller chamber how is the CR 7.5:1? I'm getting 6.9:1 a 40cc would be needed for a 7.5:1. I'm I missing something?
Sharig1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you calculate your CR? How did they calculate CR for their add? Depending on the formula it can be done with as few as 3 measurements and as many as 5 measurements and more for other types of engines.

I'm not questioning what you've done or what your number is and I'm not defending their 7.5:1 claim but I can't say from what you have provided that all things are equal to say something that was claimed is not true. This could be a case of the advertised CR was based on specs that do not match your engine.
~118 mph on the salt at WoS 2012, 7k in 3rd, can't wait to figure out how to drive that engine on that stuff.

1972 914/4, 1.7
1977 911S 2.7
1991 GTI 1.8 8v, 4speed-Sold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are assuming you'll also be using their 69.5mm stroker crank as well. Compression with a stock stroke crank is fairly low. If you use 40hp pistons (.040" taller) you could get about 7:1 compression with a stock stroke crank and that chamber size.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub475 wrote:
Ok I called them and was told that the chamber volume is approximately 45cc. The stock heads are 45-47. The add for the ww kit says that the compression with their heads is 7.5:1. How is that? With my math all things being equal otherthan a 2 cc smaller chamber how is the CR 7.5:1? I'm getting 6.9:1 a 40cc would be needed for a 7.5:1. I'm I missing something?

What is your deck height? Stroke? piston size?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's CBs engine calculator. Plug in your numbers and go

http://cbperformance.com/enginecalc.html

brad
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would need 0.010 deck to get 7.5? Confused im going to fly cut mine to get 8.5 or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called ww to get the chamber volume, witch he said was 45cc. He then told me that the heads bolted to a stock stroke engine should produce 7.5:1 compression. I used CB's compression calculator to get the 6.9:1. Stock stroke of 64mm stock bore of 77 deck height of .050 and stock chamber volume of 47 and it comes out to 6.6:1. 2cc less in chamber volume doesn't bring the compression to 7.5:1 it brings it to 6.9:1. I mean using all stock figures other than the chamber size it doesn't add up to what ww is advertising. They couldn't possibly know what the CR would be with a stroker crank because they don't know how much you would shim the barrels nor would he suggest an amount to him them.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengt H took his original 36hp heads down 3 mm, and got 37cc in the heads (with a little work in the chambers). With 1 mm deck height he got 8.2:1, if I remember right.

1" = 25,4 mm

Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Sunroofgod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub475 wrote:

This is correct for anyone looking into one of these kits. You will need to get the WW heads machined down around 40cc to achieve 7.5:1 with just a top end set up and stock parts.

Just be aware that just bolting this top end on with your stock parts will get you about 6.9:1 as the original poster stated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: