Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mobile-Friendly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see a mobile-friendly interface for TheSamba?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Don't Care
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@Rich Latsch You don't know what a mobile-friendly interface is? It's restyling or remaking the pages so that they're not scaled down to fit the smaller screen of a smartphone and removing the need to pinch-and-zoom, to read, or navigate, or log in etc.

What's a smartphone?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@Rich Latsch You don't know what a mobile-friendly interface is? It's restyling or remaking the pages so that they're not scaled down to fit the smaller screen of a smartphone and removing the need to pinch-and-zoom, to read, or navigate, or log in etc.

What's pinch-and-zoom?
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

@EverettB What do the device usage stats look like today?

Quote:
For March, 2019 (rounded):
57.5% desktop, 34% mobile, 8.5% tablet for 640K users
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

what changes do you propose to make?

how do you feel that would improve the experience?
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Perhaps a read here would get you up to speed a bit. Hard to say exactly what would change, but a lot. Nothing about the site is adapted for mobile use currently.

But I get that some people are used to it the current way, which is why I proposed an opt-out control in the user control panel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
Jimone wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Perhaps a read here would get you up to speed a bit. Hard to say exactly what would change, but a lot. Nothing about the site is adapted for mobile use currently.

But I get that some people are used to it the current way, which is why I proposed an opt-out control in the user control panel.

i mean this in the most helpful and friendly way possible.

linking a wiki isnt an answer to a question.

i think you could stand to reread what i asked.

its not my job to research your plan. its your plan. propose it.

if you want to change something it is to your benefit to be able to describe your proposed changes in a clear and concise manner. describe who they would benefit. how will this plan be put into action. the impetus of action is on the one proposing the change.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

It is though.
I was genuinely trying to be helpful as well.
I personally think this is the purpose of wikis. What I propose to change is explained by the wiki. No need for me to re-explain it in my words when the community there has done such a good job already.
Absolutely happy to show vs tell if there’s interest in me doing the work. And if not, that’s fine as well. I have zero need to argue to do for free what I already get paid to do every day.

Was just about to message how much I love your thread on your ‘54, such a cool project and that you got it from your dad… too cool!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I'm following you @smithprocess. I was leaning toward a mix of responsive delivery and responsive design. IMO there are some things to improve upon that would require more than CSS, although that would alleviate a lot of the awkwardness of using the site on mobile devices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
I'm following you @smithprocess. I was leaning toward a mix of responsive delivery and responsive design. IMO there are some things to improve upon that would require more than CSS, although that would alleviate a lot of the awkwardness of using the site on mobile devices.

Absolutely. CSS as a start would go a long long way. But for sure ideally the template level could use work as well. I figured, hey let’s start small and make it better.

It sounds like you do this for a living as well based on an above comment, would love it if you and me and @EverettB could jump on a zoom and talk about the options. I’m more than happy as I said above to donate a few days to this.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

@smithprocess @EverettB Same here, that would be a good way to knock out some info basics.

I took a stab at it a little while ago, starting with NextJS, built on top of the current site as its source. I started with TailwindCSS but switched to MaterialUI to save me the time of having to write all of the components, etc.

It was fun to work on. I didn't get it all done nor was it a final draft but have a look if you like. At the time, I was only focusing on mobile experience. https://thesamba.vercel.app/
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

@hylomatt woah! Why didn’t you mention you had done all the hard work already? Very Happy

But honestly, that looks great! Next.js + Vercel is my preferred stack these days. We could definitely work from this and take it the rest of the way if there’s interest in that.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I agree.

TS has aged VERY well. However, a mobile version with a better file uploading system would be nice. I would help out with CSS but i dont think you want my skills lol.

Just dont make it like 90% of other forums out there. the taptalk crap drives me crazy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
Jimone wrote:

It is though.
I was genuinely trying to be helpful as well.
I personally think this is the purpose of wikis. What I propose to change is explained by the wiki. No need for me to re-explain it in my words when the community there has done such a good job already.
Absolutely happy to show vs tell if there’s interest in me doing the work. And if not, that’s fine as well. I have zero need to argue to do for free what I already get paid to do every day.

Was just about to message how much I love your thread on your ‘54, such a cool project and that you got it from your dad… too cool!

thanks for your thoughts about the truck. its going to be fun.

i was asking you to clarify your intentions. linking a wiki would be akin to me linking an article on auto restoration when asked about my plans for the truck.

if asked what my intentions for the truck were i would say something like:

i plan to acquire the skills to rebuild the truck with a focus towards historical accuracy. i plan to source original material for this project. i anticipate a 10 year timeline at a cost that will exceed the resale value of the vehicle. i plan to be involved in all of the work and do not plan to outsource labor.

good luck with this project.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

So it sounds like we have some interest, some people don't want it, others are either not opinionated or oblivious. All good, seems like a normal mix.

What I would like to know is... @EverettB what are your opinions on this matter? I think it would be useful to have a conversation about this.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@EverettB What do the device usage stats look like today?

Quote:
For March, 2019 (rounded):
57.5% desktop, 34% mobile, 8.5% tablet for 640K users

Rounded again: 41% desktop / 55% mobile / 5% tablet
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
So it sounds like we have some interest, some people don't want it, others are either not opinionated or oblivious. All good, seems like a normal mix.

What I would like to know is... @EverettB what are your opinions on this matter? I think it would be useful to have a conversation about this.

I am interested in making it more mobile-friendly if possible, whether that is minor tweaks to make pages appear better or something more complete, if possible. Less need for scrolling, etc.

Some of the "modern" technologies mentioned recently in the threads I have no experience with so could be an issue, at least from my end.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I am interested in making it more mobile-friendly if possible, whether that is minor tweaks to make pages appear better or something more complete, if possible. Less need for scrolling, etc.

Some of the "modern" technologies mentioned recently in the threads I have no experience with so could be an issue, at least from my end.

That's a great start. Would love to jump on a call/zoom and talk through the options if you're open to that. We can discuss the various paths from full modern Next.js / vercel stack to simple CSS tweaks and find a path that makes sense and is maintainable going forward. If you're familiar with CSS in general and markup templating in PHP, then there won't be a major conceptual shift in the newer technologies like React - same concepts, just moves logic from the server to a Node.js layer in between client and "server".
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

@EverettB, that makes sense. I figured the mobile usage would have increased since March 2019 but didn't know what to expect.

I'd like to be on that call and hear what you have to say about pain point details such as the scrolling you mentioned and other items like the file uploading that other users have mentioned.

I can give a small but technical overview of the codebase that I have started and we can discuss that approach vs other approaches.
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Any update. Scrolling on the phone is annoying and it looks like 55-60% of you user base is doing this.
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Bump. I'd love to help but have no web design skills
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: