Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plug Brand - Help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlybaymitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Thank you so much Glenn!
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

So, seems i have now fouled the new Bosch plugs. FML. Running rich still. Car idles really nice, after a few minutes a slight misfire develops. Hard to notice during idle, but definitely it there under load (on the gas).

Dizzy cap good, no burn marks or archcing
Rotor good
Seems to idle nice, had the timing adjusted last year and should still be set the same as I haven't touched anything. Can the timing just be off on its own?

Carb is stock 30 pict 1 air mixture screw adjusted till the car stumbles then 2.5 turns back to even out.

Appreciate any input. Plug wires? Condenser would be bad on start up I think? Seems ok on start up.

Sean
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Your mixture screw isn't set correctly. It isn't "in until stumble then 2.5 turns out", it should be tuned as follows:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two and half turns out from fully in is simply the common starting point for the mixture adjustment.

What size idle jet do you have installed?
What is your fuel pressure?
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

I will re-set the air/mixture screw and see. 127.5 main jet. Unsure of fuel pressure, how do I check that?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

To test your fuel pressure you'll need to temporarily install a fuel pressure gauge, one suitable for carburetted engines, teed inline between the pump and the carb. For a single screw carb you'll want to see 2-3psi -- excessive fuel pressure will lead to an overly rich mixture.

What size is your idle jet, the one screwed into the right side of the carburetor?
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

55 Idle jet - Haven't checked the car yet. Been raining all day, hopefully can do something tomorrow. Appreciate the replies. Very Happy
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Pulled plugs again, cleaned up. Car idles beautiful, I checked air/mixture screw and adjusted as stated above. Still have slight misfire under load. Definitely and improvement though. Not fouling plugs as before.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Good to hear the fouling issue is fixed.

For the misfire under load, are you certain it's a misfire or is it possibly pinging? Pinging will sound sharp, somewhat akin to shaking a metal can with some marbles in it, and typically can't be felt whereas a misfire tends to sound more dull and will often be felt as the car jerks slightly.
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Yeah it was definitely a mis-fire. Only on acceleration though. Couldn't figure it out so I had a new Empi 30 pict 1 carb on the shelf. Long story short, I swapped it out and it's running great.. for now. I know the Empi carbs have some issues, time will tell.

Thanks everyone!
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

I always default to oem of the period. Kinda mental about it.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Got all the parts for my tune up on my 64 1200. The BOSCH plugs are made in Russia!
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Brand - Help Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Got all the parts for my tune up on my 64 1200. The BOSCH plugs are made in Russia!

going to have to confiscate them.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: