Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: 2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps? Reply with quote

Ok so I got my 67 wheels sandblasted and epoxy primered. I need to paint the wheels in the next couple days but I would like to know the proper way, or how you guys painted yours.

Im confused at the steps to take with 2 tone rims. Using 2 stage paint makes this a little tricky with 2 toned rims. I know you gotta put the clear on in a certain time to have it properly bond to the base, problem is, the base needs to be dry on the inner so I can tape it off and paint the outer part.

Info: The inner part of the rim is grey/black, the outer is cumulus white.

Do I paint the whole wheel black, clear coat it, let it cure for a couple days, then tape off the middle, scuff the outer rim, paint it white, then clear coat the outer?

Or do I paint the whole wheel black, let it dry for ???, tape off the inner, paint the outer white, then clear coat the whole thing together?
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps? Reply with quote

The window for putting paint on epoxy is pretty close to putting clear on base. Of course I don’t know what manufacturers you’re using so…

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps? Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
The window for putting paint on epoxy is pretty close to putting clear on base. Of course I don’t know what manufacturers you’re using so…

Using PPG OMNI. Specs say 72 hours to put base on. But that doesn't really matter so much cause I am going to gently sand down the the epoxy and fix some curb scuffs anyways. I just want to make sure Ive got the base/clear steps with the 2 tone rims correct.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps? Reply with quote

Put base on sanded epoxy and it highlights your sanding.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2 tone rims 2 stage paint steps? Reply with quote

I am tracking, I originally put down the epoxy to stop flash rust. I will sand/fix scuffs and then reapply epoxy when its time to paint. I need to gather the full steps to a successful rim paint job, before I start laying down color and screw myself with needing to start over from the beginning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: