Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No oil to either head
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Just got the rebuilt 40 hp running. Initially it ran well, got it timed, now working on brakes, windows, etc. This motor does have an external oil filter - oil comes out the cover plate, to the filter, then back to the block at the oil gallery. Large AN-10 lines. When the motor starts, the oil light on the dash goes out.

Yesterday I noticed a knocking sound so I decided to recheck the valve lash. Some were tight, most were a touch loose. Now all at 0.006. These heads have the short stud replacement kits with the bolts holding the rockers down.

Problem is that both sides were completely dry. Not even a light coat of oil on anything. It has been sitting for at least 24 hours, only ran for about 1 minute yesterday, and hasn’t been started for about 10 days before that. I get that its okay to not drool oil when the valve covers are opened, but this is concerning. How do I test this? Should I start the motor with the valve covers off and see if oil is coming up the pushrods? Any other suggestions?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Texasdoc wrote:
Should I start the motor with the valve covers off and see if oil is coming up the pushrods?

Others have done this, just do a few seconds, and it can make a mess !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Well, I said to myself, “Self, I’m okay with messes. In fact, I’m pretty much used to messes. Go for it.” So I did. Started her up for a few seconds (10-ish) with both valve covers off. Essentially no oil coming to either head.

I don’t fully understand the oil pressure diverter/relief valve, so I checked that. The plug was stuck and took a good umph to get it off. Spring came out but no piston, it was stuck in the bore. Lots of dirty oil with grit in that area. (PO was a mechanical engineer whose goal was to put as little money into it as possible for the 40 years he owned it.). Eventually had to get a tap to grasp the piston and got it to come out. Scored a bit on the sides but useable. Once the piston came out, new/clean oil came out (about half a cup). When I start it (for 2 seconds) without this plug/spring/piston, clean oil comes out. I know, no oil is getting to the bearings, I won’t do that any more.

Reading the few books (Clymer… I know) I have says that “unloaded length should be 62-64 mm”. This spring is 78 mm. Is that the wrong spring or is my book wrong? I wouldn’t be surprised if the PO just put whatever spring he could find in there.

Would the stuck oil pressure relief piston or the too-long spring prevent oil flow to the heads?

Edit: after researching more, I have the wrong spring. The single valve OG is not slotted and has the 62-64 mm spring. My plunger is slotted and has a long or heavy duty spring. The plunger was stuck in the up position. Still don’t know if this will restrict oil to the heads.
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

I found my copy of Tom Watson’s book on VW engines. Page 40 explains the oil control valve(s). When the oil is cold, it “should” push the piston down, allowing oil to the bearings (and lifters) without going thru the oil cooler. As the oil heats up, the valve closes progressively, eventually causing the hot oil to go thru the oil cooler.

My theory is that with the piston stuck in the closed position, all the cold oil has to try to go thru the restrictive oil cooler BEFORE it reaches the oil gallery. So, I’m trying to force cold oil thru a restrictive cooler, so I’m likely not getting much flow to the bearings or lifters/pushrods/rockers. I haven’t run it long enough to get the oil hot enough to easily flow thru the cooler.

Am I right/wrong? Any other ideas?
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Oil feeds through the pushrods, from the lifters from the main gallery from the pump.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
Oil feeds through the pushrods, from the lifters from the main gallery from the pump.

Right, I get that, thanks. What I'm trying to figure out is why I'm not getting oil to the rockers when I have oil pressure (oil pressure light goes off immediately after startup). The only thing I've found is the stuck oil pressure relief valve.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Texasdoc wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

Right, I get that, thanks. What I'm trying to figure out is why I'm not getting oil to the rockers when I have oil pressure (oil pressure light goes off immediately after startup). The only thing I've found is the stuck oil pressure relief valve.

Modified oil situations are out of my purview.

Choose 2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Is everything stock?

Are the pushrods clogged?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Is everything stock?

Everything except the full-flow oil setup. I am getting pressure to the pressure sensor so the full-flow system is pressurizing and not blocked.

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Not sure how to check this short of dismantling the entire valve train to get the pushrods out. I’m trying to decide if installing the oil pressure relief plug without the spring or the plunger and running it for a few seconds would allow full pressure to the oil galleys without having to go thru the oil cooler. OR if that would just allow the oil to drain back into the sump thru the bypass hole. If this process allows good oil to the heads, I know the pressure relief valve being stuck was the issue. If still no oil, I’ll disassemble the valve train.

I can’t find a stock spring and plunger for sale. Everyone has the high pressure upgrade kit or dual-spring setup parts. No one has the stock single valve setup (new, used, or NOS). Not even in the classified section.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Tell us a little more about the rebuild. Worst case scenario is they plugged a galley and even though you have pressure and flow for the sender, the galley leading to the tappets might be toast.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Cam bearings wrong?

Choose 2

Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

I know that not all of this applies but here is all the info on the motor and rebuild.

Not sure about the cam bearings. Not sure this one has them. I believe it is the original 40 hp motor. I took it all the way down to the case, but didn’t crack the case open. (My guess is if it didn’t have cam bearings and the journals are severely worn, it wouldn’t make oil pressure and the light wouldn’t go out.) Original crank, rods, lifters, cam, heads, pushrods, rockers, valves, intake, carburetor, distributor, oil cooler (new seals). I *think* I checked the oil cooler for blockage when it was apart - that was 2+ years ago before COVID.

New coil, wires, plugs, cylinders, pistons and rings (big bore kit), new generator, new voltage regulator. I disassembled the heads, lapped the valves, converted one head from long to short studs. I installed a full-flow oil kit - plugged the normal output of the pump, pump cover to oil filter to drilled and tapped oil galley is 10 AN stainless lines. Valve lash is 0.006 all around. New clutch and pressure plate, stock flywheel, stock starter (new bearing).

Did I leave anything out you have questions about?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Texasdoc wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Is everything stock?

Everything except the full-flow oil setup. I am getting pressure to the pressure sensor so the full-flow system is pressurizing and not blocked.

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Not sure how to check this short of dismantling the entire valve train to get the pushrods out.

Do you have a pressure gauge? Maybe the oil pump is just not pumping out high enough pressure or volume. Maybe the oil pump body is partially covering up the output or the input galley holes. Seen that one several times. Something that needs to be looked at during assembly.

I would remove the oil pressure switch and check pressure and volume, then move forwards from there. It really sounds more like a blocked oil galley, than anything else, but these cases are 50 years old!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Texasdoc wrote:
I know that not all of this applies but here is all the info on the motor and rebuild.

Not sure about the cam bearings. Not sure this one has them. I believe it is the original 40 hp motor. I took it all the way down to the case, but didn’t crack the case open. (My guess is if it didn’t have cam bearings and the journals are severely worn, it wouldn’t make oil pressure and the light wouldn’t go out.) Original crank, rods, lifters, cam, heads, pushrods, rockers, valves, intake, carburetor, distributor, oil cooler (new seals). I *think* I checked the oil cooler for blockage when it was apart - that was 2+ years ago before COVID.

New coil, wires, plugs, cylinders, pistons and rings (big bore kit), new generator, new voltage regulator. I disassembled the heads, lapped the valves, converted one head from long to short studs. I installed a full-flow oil kit - plugged the normal output of the pump, pump cover to oil filter to drilled and tapped oil galley is 10 AN stainless lines. Valve lash is 0.006 all around. New clutch and pressure plate, stock flywheel, stock starter (new bearing).

Did I leave anything out you have questions about?

Did it have or did it make pressure before you installed new parts?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

If you do need a new oil pump, here is a 21mm oil pump for 6mm studs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114958659328?hash=item1ac411ef00:g:Zl8AAOSwFORhKlWY

I replaced a worn one in my 1300 with a 21mm and had better pressure.

Casey
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

I don’t know the status of the motor before I got it. It would run, but not well. I didn’t check the pressure before the tear down. I *think* it makes decent pressure since the oil light goes out immediately and never flickers.

I don’t have a pressure gauge. All the gauges I see for sale are 1/4 NPT but the oil pressure sensor hole is 10 mm x 1.0 (I haven’t been able to find a 10 mm to 1/4” converter but only looked for a bit.) I may have to get a 10 mm plug and tap it for 1/4.

I will try running it without the pressure relief spring to see what that does. I that doesn’t work, figure out how to test the oil pressure in the galley. Not sure how to test flow.

Where does the galley to the lifters start? The oil line from the filter goes into the galley boss on the left (above the oil pressure relief). This gives pressure right into the main galley. If the galley line to the lifters is plugged, where does that originate on the case? (Once I’m sure the main galley has pressure). Where does the oil cross from the left to the right side so it can get to the right head? Since both sides don’t get oil, it would have to be a common line that is blocked.
Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
If you do need a new oil pump, here is a 21mm oil pump for 6mm studs.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m not sure what pump is currently in there but it likely is not original and is possibly upgraded already. The PO had converted this to a Baja bug at some point. I received a box that had two other oil pumps in it. I didn’t measure it when I had it out.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Lotta efforts going into a clapped out 40hp. Could be a packed peanut inside one of those oil lines plugging it up. If it’s knocking already just shoot it.

Choose 2

Texasdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
Lotta efforts going into a clapped out 40hp.

Sheesh, tell me about it.

For full disclosure, the PO was my father-in-law. This is the actual car my wife learned to drive in when she was 14 and drove to college later. Her dad is 90 and was still driving it around. Mostly to get it away from him, I agreed to restore it. So, I'm doing it mostly for sentimental value and the safety of others. Not the choice I would have made. My last built was a kit Shelby Cobra with 500 hp.

But, its a labor of love. My labor for her love.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: No oil to either head Reply with quote

Texasdoc wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:
Lotta efforts going into a clapped out 40hp.

Sheesh, tell me about it.

For full disclosure, the PO was my father-in-law. This is the actual car my wife learned to drive in when she was 14 and drove to college later. Her dad is 90 and was still driving it around. Mostly to get it away from him, I agreed to restore it. So, I'm doing it mostly for sentimental value and the safety of others. Not the choice I would have made. My last built was a kit Shelby Cobra with 500 hp.

But, its a labor of love. My labor for her love.

It’s the best kind, and worth it. Just tear it all the way down or get another block depending on your budget and air cooled karma Wink
You can’t rush perfection, and breaking down in it with her, wouldn’t wanna be there. In most cases I’d say recycle a 40 hp, but this one is special. Keep it original with some new bearings and whatever else it may need.
The hardest part is the crank gear and flywheel end play torque without the right tools.

Choose 2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: