Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon progress update…getting closer!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

A HUGE DAY! Very Happy All the hard work, long hours, and anticipation resulted in success. First I cranked the engine without the ECU connected to build oil pressure. Connected everything up and started her. Took a fair amount of cranking to build fuel pressure and then she fired off. After a few minutes all the smoke cleared. Shut her back down and checked fot leaks or anything abnormal. All good!

Started her up again and adjusted all the basics. After a few minutes she settled into a nice idle…sounds so good! I also tried adjusting the knob on the computer and the idle responded to each click like I haver never seen before…thats a good thing in my book! Went ahead and topped off the automatic trans. Shifted through all the gears and it seemed to respond normally. Shut her back down and went on to finish air intake and fresh air hoses for a couple of hours.

After that started her up again with no problem. Only now my idle was not smooth, not like before. It was like it was dropping injectors…hmmm. I had a feeling about the head temp sensor…it’s an old one. Got the ohm meter out and found OPEN circuit. Looks like I need to try another sensor.

Enough for today. I feel really lucky so far. I am working with very old fuel injection components and a rebuilt original fuel pump. There are so many things that can be wrong. This is all part of the journey. This is to be expected. I take it as a big victory for now.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
A HUGE DAY! Very Happy ....I had a feeling about the head temp sensor…it’s an old one. Got the ohm meter out and found OPEN circuit. Looks like I need to try another sensor.

Bill

By my experience, on D-jet, if the head temp sensor is disconnected (have an open circuit) the engine would stall at once and be impossible to start.
But yes, you should try another sensor if you for sure measure an open circiut. Sensors can have intermittent faults.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Yes, an open reads as infinite resistance, so the ECU richens it up and this kills the engine.

Just be sure to disconnect it to measure its resistance.
It might be just a cleaning of threads and tightening down.
Or a broken wire inside.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon May 09, 2022 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Cool Congradulations! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

The engine started right up today but the idle is not smooth and the exhaust smells pretty rich. Took multiple readings of the head temp sensor and I was getting crazy ohm results all over the place! Some open, some correct, and even these negative readings. Hmmm... Pulled the sensor and found the sealing washer all screwed up. I dont even think the sensor was fully seated.

In the photo mine is on the left. I compared it to an old broken one I had which is on the right. The old one has what looks like a proper captured copper washer...it will not fall off. I think mine is all wrong. The washer is not captured and it is not copper. Gonna need a new sensor and need to match it to my computer? What do you guys think?

Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
The engine started right up today but the idle is not smooth and the exhaust smells pretty rich. Took multiple readings of the head temp sensor and I was getting crazy ohm results all over the place! Some open, some correct, and even these negative readings. Hmmm... Pulled the sensor and found the sealing washer all screwed up. I dont even think the sensor was fully seated.

In the photo mine is on the left. I compared it to an old broken one I had which is on the right. The old one has what looks like a proper captured copper washer...it will not fall off. I think mine is all wrong. The washer is not captured and it is not copper. Gonna need a new sensor and need to match it to my computer? What do you guys think?

Bill

There were only a couple of sensors for D-jet specific. They are pretty much interchangeable though they did change the spec a little bit later on.

There are two different sensors listed in the parts book:

311 906 041 A- This also corresponds to a Bosch # 0-280-130-012
This lists for Porsche 914 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0L and for 912. It is the same for 411 and 412.

022 906 041 A - This number replaced the Bosch # 0-280-130-012. Its the later universal sensor.

This one lists for type 1 75-79, type 2 77-83 (both of these applications are L-jet injection) and 70-73 type 3 which is D-jet (and is listed to use 022-906-041 A....which is the replacement for the original type 3 and 4 D-jet sensor part # 311 906 041 A).

That info is here:
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engine-Temperature-S...6-041a.htm

I am going off memory but I think the change they made was a little more resistance on the high end (cold) and a little more on the low end (meaning not so low when it gets hot....which was a problem).

You do not need to match anything to the ECU.

These sensors have been hard to find. They went out of production a few years back. There have been some issues with the aftermarket replacements. I do not know if they are fixed yet or not. The bay window bus guys have been squealing for a few years about no availability and quality issues because they use the same sensor.

These sensors work when they work...but age poorly. Resistance changes over time. I have had issues with them over the years...and yes...eventually the vibration wears out the wire joint.

When I get my car back on the road...I am getting rid of the TS-2/ CHT sensor. I will have a CHT gauge and dial/knob that dials in the resistance in maybe 7 steps until warmup point. That way it never goes to low, is adjusted better for hot or cold weather. Just something to pay attention to with a warning light during the first 5-8 minutes of driving. No worse than adjusting a choke..

Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
The engine started right up today but the idle is not smooth and the exhaust smells pretty rich. Took multiple readings of the head temp sensor and I was getting crazy ohm results all over the place! Some open, some correct, and even these negative readings. Hmmm...

Just asking to be sure, when you took the multple readings you only took readings when the sensor was electrically disconnected from the wiring harness? I.e. you connected the meter at the FREE female spade connector and at the block (ground)?

/Lars S
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
The engine started right up today but the idle is not smooth and the exhaust smells pretty rich. Took multiple readings of the head temp sensor and I was getting crazy ohm results all over the place! Some open, some correct, and even these negative readings. Hmmm...

Just asking to be sure, when you took the multple readings you only took readings when the sensor was electrically disconnected from the wiring harness? I.e. you connected the meter at the FREE female spade connector and at the block (ground)?

So I probably got funny readings because I took them while it was still connected? Then my bad. I also took readings after dsconnecting the sensor and still got weird results. Took another set of readings with it out of the car at my bench. These readings were normal. So I think the sensor was not seated fully in the head as shown by the bent washer in my photo. It’s an old sensor so gonna get another one anyway.

Bill

/Lars S
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Yes Bill you will for sure get wrong and funny values if you measure the sensor resistance with the sensor still connected to the harness.
Tecnically you are measuring the sensor and the sensor port in the ECU in parallell to ground...and in addition to that, if you measure with the engine running the ECU will put a voltage at the sensor wich fools the meters own restistance measuring voltage.

Thats why one can not measure the connected sensor resistance.

_Lars S
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Yes Bill you will for sure get wrong and funny values if you measure the sensor resistance with the sensor still connected to the harness.
Tecnically you are measuring the sensor and the sensor port in the ECU in parallell to ground...and in addition to that, if you measure with the engine running the ECU will put a voltage at the sensor wich fools the meters own restistance measuring voltage.

Thats why one can not measure the connected sensor resistance.

_Lars S
Many thanks Lars S! Yeah, some of this stuff I’m doing is going off ancient memory…and I’m getting ancient d'oh!. I know better really. I’ll keep you posted on this.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Have not attempted a road test yet because I am still working the running problems out. No half shafts or brakes installed anyway.

The engine does some things well but not everything like I expected right away LOL. Here we go...
Installed a different head temp sensor with the proper washer. Got it to seat well. The cold starting is really immediate, like I remember it when it was virtually a new car. The idle is good as it warms up and the AAR is reacting correctly, but the exhaust smells pretty rich. After maybe 8 to 10 minutes of warmup the idle is very good but still very rich. I can even adjust the computer (ECU) knob and get very good responses for the idle. The big problem is the throttle response. The response is immediate but in that transition there is an unbalanced shake or shudder to about 2500 rpms, like injectors not firing. After about 2500 rpms the engine smooths out and feels normal. No amount of adjusting helped. At idle I do have a really strong response from the idle screw, so it appears to be ok. (I can actually stall the engine when adjusting all the way closed...great response!). I pulled the spark plugs to get a reading. #1 Normal #2 sooty black #3 sooty black #4 normal. Enough for tonite.

This morning another day. Time to check basics, cold engine:

Checked valve adjustment and all good at .006"
Head sensor at 3,700 ohms 51 degrees ambient air temp.
Start engine:
Fuel pressure is 28 to 29 psi and rock steady at all rpms
Timing at factory suggested 27 BTDC AT 3500 rpms both hoses off.
48 degrees dwell and very steady
Alternator charging at 13.96 volts
WR7CC Bosch plugs at .032.

I let it run for about 20 minutes and it was running the same as described above, really rich. Pulled the plugs again and same readings as above.
Any ideas where to go from here?

Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Bill, as for the rich running have you checked the MPS for holding vaccum? Can be done with your mouth,.

As for the shudder when reving up, have you tried to run the engine without the throttle switch plugged in? It is amazing how well the engine can run without the switch plugged in. It will be a bit more hesitating when reving up since it lacks the extra injector pulses ("accelerator pump function") but if it stops shuddering the error might wery well be in the switch, dirty/worn contact trace, fingers etc...

///Lars S
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
I pulled the spark plugs to get a reading.
#1 Normal
#2 sooty black
#3 sooty black
#4 normal

-Bill

Ray, could unbalanced resistance in the trigger points cause this? It's about the only thing that works in pairs.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

A few things to think about or try:

Lars Said:

Quote:
Bill, as for the rich running have you checked the MPS for holding vaccum? Can be done with your mouth,.

As for the shudder when reving up, have you tried to run the engine without the throttle switch plugged in? It is amazing how well the engine can run without the switch plugged in. It will be a bit more hesitating when reving up since it lacks the extra injector pulses ("accelerator pump function") but if it stops shuddering the error might wery well be in the switch, dirty/worn contact trace, fingers etc...

///Lars S

Yes..... check the MPS. A slow leak down of vacuum or fast leak down can cause some o this and the rich running. If there are no vacuum issues....there are still two specific adjustment issues that can cause this that I will get into later.

You need to verify and understand what else might or might not be happening before you get into the MPS. Make no mistake though...I have not found a type 3 or 4...40+ years down the line from stock factory...that DID NOT require a tweak to the MPS.

The TVS....well...yes and no. If disconnecting it allows smoother throttle transitions...and the car does not flat outfall on its face with BIG stumbles.....then it confirms two things:
1. That the switch is out of adjustment and
2. You are running a good deal rich on the baseline fuel mixture.

You should look at my TVS adjusting "how to" if you have not already.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683230

Pepperbilly said:

Quote:
After maybe 8 to 10 minutes of warmup the idle is very good but still very rich. I can even adjust the computer (ECU) knob and get very good responses for the idle. The big problem is the throttle response. The response is immediate but in that transition there is an unbalanced shake or shudder to about 2500 rpms, like injectors not firing. After about 2500 rpms the engine smooths out and feels normal. No amount of adjusting helped. At idle I do have a really strong response from the idle screw, so it appears to be ok. (I can actually stall the engine when adjusting all the way closed...great response!). I pulled the spark plugs to get a reading. #1 Normal #2 sooty black #3 sooty black #4 normal. Enough for tonite.

And KTPhil replied:

Quote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
I pulled the spark plugs to get a reading.
#1 Normal
#2 sooty black
#3 sooty black
#4 normal

-Bill

Ray, could unbalanced resistance in the trigger points cause this? It's about the only thing that works in pairs.

yes they "could" but they would have to be REALLY far different...one very high resistance and the other very low resistance.

This is a more probable cause....first the injector pairs are #1 and #3 inject together and #2 and #4 inject together.

And....injectors #1 and #4...inject when their respective intake valve are open or partially open and injectors #2 and #3 inject when their respective intake valves are closed or nearly closed and in the process of closing.

What this causes is something I have been occasionally speaking of for a long time. The two wet ports vs two dry ports with D-jet.

That is that the two cylinders whose valves are closed at the injection point....the fuel sprays on the back of the valves and all over the ports.

When this happens...once the fuel "wets" to a surface....it requires quite a bit more energy to sweep that fuel off the port wall and into the valve once it opens....but eventually it does get sucked off the port walls and ingested and burned. It may take 2-3 injection/combustion cycles to get all the fuel off the port walls...but since its adding more each injection cycle....its not like its running lean.

So.....these two ports/cylinders...have quite a bit worse atomization and always seem to act a little rich....and here is the caveat.....AT IDLE AND LOW RPM RUNNING.
Above about 1800-2000 rpm...the time interval from injection point to valve opening cycle is just too short for the fuel to really wet to the port.

So over the years....I have noticed that D-jet VW's an Porsche 914 that spend a lot of time in traffic idling.....have two black or brown varnished intake ports ...one on each side of the engine. I can see them in my head....but cannot for the life of me remember if the ports that spray on open valves are the black ones because eventually back spray gets baked and the closed valve ports are the ones that are clean from fuel washing them down....or vice versa. I am fairly sure the black ports are those that are closed valve during injection.

BUT.....if you have this inherent problem....and you are also running RICH on your fuel baseline....which you are......it WILL make plugs 2 and 3 more sooty.

Ok...just a question. Are you running points and a stock coil? What wires are you using? Stock is fine...but be sure you have some very good points. Bosch will not cut it these days. Look at my points article/post and gets some good SMP points from NAPA.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659700&highlight=blue+streak

Just some more points info on the same subject

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687664

As for the plugs you are running......WR7CC.....why are you running resistor plugs?
Most of what that plug has is "correct"...
W= 20.8mm hex- good
R= Resistor (should not have if you have correct wires and rotor)
7= Heat range- good
C= 19mm length- good
C= copper- good

Honestly the best plug I have found for any of the high compression 1.7L is the Bosch W7DTC or the NGK BP6ET. Noticeably more reliable and less misfire at higher rpms on the highway. Even stock.

They are especially better when paired with a Pertronix or compufire basic points replacement module (its just a cleaner more crisp ignition start and cut off point...closer to square wave)...and a Pertronix 42kv coil.

The stock high compression D-jet 1.7L...is under-ignited.

There is more that I have to add and I will get to the MPS but I have to work now and will post more tonight. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Ray and Lars S,

First of all I need to pickup a hand held vacuum pump. About time I had one. I gag too easily trying to hold vacuum with my mouth Surprised . I did pinch off the MPS line while running and the engine wanted to stall. So it may be ok but need better testing here.
Disconnecting the Throttle Switch made no difference…still the off idle shudder.

I am running the Duralast ignition wires with the W. German connectors that I thought were good. Yes, I am running Resistor plugs because that is what a local VW shop had. I can change that. I do have the Bosch points with same brand cap and rotor and the original stock coil.

Today was a jekyll and hyde running situation. I saw alot of crazy running conditions. Starting cold was great and quick. Off the bat though the idle was lumpy. I pinched off the AAR hose and the idle improved alot…so I let it run thru it’s warm up period like this. After that the idle settled in nicely and was very smooth. I could dial it in at 950 to 1000 rpms and even the shuddering when tipping the throttle went away! It was a short lived situation though. The idle became erratic as the engine temp increased and very uneven and tried to stall out. I never got it to run smoothly again.
I again checked Head Temp Sensor, engine off, warm and disconnected. INTERESTING READINGS. Most of the readings were around 150 to 160 ohms but a couple of times readings shot up to 3,000 ohms! Wow! I dont trust this old sensor which was a spare in my stash. New one on the way for sure.

I’ll methodically test every component to the best of my abilities. It’s a slow process. Yes, my problem could be the fuel injection harness. It is the original. But I thought before I replace the harness I would make a damn concerted effort with the stuff I have. I’m a doggone stubborn kraut Brick wall

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I have a long detailed reply that I actually started yesterday. I saved that and replied to some of the new answers today.

I will post the long detailed the reply tomorrow. It gets into the MPS relationship and the knob on the EcU and the idle air bypass.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I went ahead and made more checks today. Warm compression revealed good results for a newly rebuilt engine with only under an hour of running time. Each cylinder cranked out 90 psi on the First stroke then second stroke went to 120 psi…all the same. At least it shows even.

I plugged off the vacuum line to the trans modulator valve. I also removed the cold start injector from the plenum but left the fuel lines on. I sealed the plenum holes to prevent any vacuum leaks. Ran the engine with really the same results as before. So no change. The cold start injector does not leak. Not even a drip so that is good news.

The head temp sensor showed good readings today. I pulled the plugs again and found the same results. 1 and 4 look pretty normal. 2 and 3 are all black and sooty again. It is a very dry soot, not wet at all. I thought if I have a rich condition they would be wet? Included a closeup photo.

I also pulled the distributor to check the trigger points. The plate looked normal but it was oily. Cleaned that with electrical spray. What tests on the bench can I make on the trigger points? That is as far as I went today.

Bill

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Samba friends,

Ready to get back to it. Was gone for a month with my wife trailering it thru BC Canada, the Yukon, and Alaska. What a wonderful trip! If you ever want to get away from it all and see lots of wildlife, beautiful mountains, and NO traffic, this is for you.

First thing I did when we got back is purchase a nice Mityvac vacuum pump set. Can’t be without this when trying to diagnose fuel injection problems.
I first tested the Manifold pressure sensor. Bingo, found it not holding any vacuum at all… ruptured diaphram. I went ahead and tested my original pressure sensor I had stored away and it held pressure. Not sure why I replaced it back in the ‘90s, but I had.

I followed Brad Anders D-Jet Pages. What a wealth of D-Jet information. Now I know for sure that first pressure sensor is no good. My original sensor that I had stored away held vacuum for a 5 minute test but did slowly bleed down to 7 Hg. So it has a slow leak. I did an ohm test on terminals 7 and 15 and 8 and 10 on the sensor and those figures were spot on.

This could possibly explain the running condition of the engine. At the very first few minutes it ran perfectly…I was able to dial everything in for a nice idle. But after about a half an hour the engine displayed very erratic behavior and was never good from that point on. I am thinking the manifold pressure sensor’s diaphram then ruptured.

I have not run the engine with my original pressure sensor yet. I am waiting for my non resistor plugs and new head temp. sensor to arrive. May be a few days before I can run the engine again… hate the wait!

Bill

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Just do not get rid of the one with the ruptured diphragm. It could also be the o-ring but you can buy new diaphragm kits now.

I am as we speak...kind of...working on a "how to" to adjust the MPS for KTPhil...and the MPS SHOULD be adjusted to run better...because nothing these days on these engines 50 years down the line including the gasoline....is the same as it was. All of it affects vacuum signature.

I am in the process of sorting out a "black screen of death" failure on my laptop from yesterday.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Ray,

Don't worry. I keep everything down to tattered old carpeting! Laughing

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: