Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much do you think my van is worth?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
$3-5k

You've got quite a bit working against you:

- It's an automatic
- Paint is not great
- The interior/exterior doesn't present well

while i agree with most of this assessment i wouldn't discount the automatic. never thought i'd like one till i drove one. it kind of beats the self destructing manual trans

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
djkeev wrote:
A tintop carries no value really.

It takes virtually the same effort and $$ to put and keep a Westy camper on the road as it does a tintop.

Laughing
Come on, no value?

You buy a tintop for $5,000.
To get it tip top road worthy you spend $5,000.

You now have a tintop worth $5,000.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

but you toss a $6k hightop on that $5k tintop and some stickers.
now you have a $15k 'campah'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
$3-5k

You've got quite a bit working against you:

- It's an automatic
- Paint is not great
- The interior/exterior doesn't present well

while i agree with most of this assessment i wouldn't discount the automatic. never thought i'd like one till i drove one. it kind of beats the self destructing manual trans

I'm not making any judgement on the auto itself, they just seem to command lower prices usually.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
iliketowalk,
I noticed your signature block lists three vans followed by “[RIP #CarrFire]”. While most will assume this to be an homage to their unfortunate demise from a dreaded Vanagon engine fire, I believe it a reference to your losses from the “Carr Fire” that devastated 230,000 acres near Redding in the summer of 2018. My condolences.

Thanks for the kind words. Smile

Losing all the stuff wasn't so bad, the three vans were almost the worst because they are as close to family members as an inanimate object can get in our case (and I suspect many others).

We are in the process of rebuilding- finding a lot of joy in putting things back better than they were.

If nothing else, it saved our kids a yard sale when we're gone - so that's a plus! Very Happy
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Some people like tintop because they have some ideas like this one (not mine)... Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
I'm not making any judgement on the auto itself, they just seem to command lower prices usually.

Lower than syncro, sure, but I do not believe they have a lower sale value than 2wd 4-speeds. It would be interesting to see a database of actual sale values of similar vehicles. If there is any bias toward the 2wd manuals being more valueable than auto, then it doesn't make any sense. The auto is more pleasant to drive, has a more robust transaxle, and anyone can drive it.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

Lower than syncro, sure, but I do not believe they have a lower sale value than 2wd 4-speeds. It would be interesting to see a database of actual sale values of similar vehicles. If there is any bias toward the 2wd manuals being more valueable than auto, then it doesn't make any sense. The auto is more pleasant to drive, has a more robust transaxle, and anyone can drive it.

At least what I've heard anecdotally around the PNW is that people prefer the Manuals because the autos rob a bit of the already low power of the engine so the 4 speeds go a little better. At least looking at prices here the autos do seem to pull in less from what little I've paid attention to them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
$8,000 for an 87 tintop is stupid expensive. A Proper A/C rebuild at a shop will be an easy $2,000, probably $3,000.

Maybe that $ amount for a great shape 90 or 91......

Dave

In CA, you can sell them for more, especially rust free ones.

Last edited by tjet on Sun May 15, 2022 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

To the op, put it on bring a trailer and you will find out how much it's worth.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Some people like tintop because they have some ideas like this one (not mine)... Very Happy

Building a fire on the roof of one’s van is never a good idea.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

also I'm fairly certain that there would be a different type of trapeez act if I were to attempt to get into or out of that hammock up there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:

Building a fire on the roof of one’s van is never a good idea.

Agree about the fire.

Seems dumb to scramble up on a roof when he seemingly has acres of flat grass land to relax upon......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Clearly, he has run out of gas and the tradewinds have died down. It's not just a hammock,,, it's a drag parachute AND a land sail... Also comes in handy when encountering unexpected "bridge out of service" events..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: