Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Here is your Friday reminder:

GET THAT CAR READY AND GET YOUR RESERVATIONS IN!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roverjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Damn. I’m in VA now and the Notch won’t be ready in time. I’ll plan for that 2024 invasion. After 14 years I might actually start working on my car instead of just driving it.

Send pics!
JJM86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

I should be working on brakes and basics, but a friend of mine told me about a polish that does nice things to old dried up paint, so I've been getting distracted.

Before

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

The color of the images is not totally accurate but it really did brighten and clean up the paint well.

Hey, it'll decrease drag and improve my gas mileage!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Quite an improvement, what did you use JJM?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Primrose Yellow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roverjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Very nice. Most of my car will need to be repainted at this point but I maybe able to save the interior and roof paint and blend the door/body mount sections from the rest of the bolt off portions. Rust down low is my issue and I don't want the patina look as its not good patina...

LOVE that improvement!
JJM86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Roverjosh- Sorry to hear your Notch and you won't be making the trip. I know zero Type 3 people, so I'm looking forward to meeting in person instead of just reading/replying to posts online. Crunchy rust "patina" is definitely not my cup of tea either. I would really like to find someone do do welding/body work and paint my car before it gets further down the rusty road, but that's going to cost a lot for a good job. It presents well but has a lot of hidden problems.

Brian- Shantung Yellow (L12D, I think), according to the sticker in the trunk.

& Big Bill- I used Meguiar's "Professional Show Car Glaze" #7, which was like $20 at the chain auto parts store. First washed with a mixture of dish soap and borax (instead of my car wash with wax). Then used a clay bar to smooth out and remove all the crud/oxidation. Then did a round of the glaze applied and rubbed off with terry cloth towel. Applied a second generous amount of glaze and let it sit for a while (overnight on the hood and roof), then buffed off by hand with more clean terry cloths. Finished with some plain wax I had to seal it in. A friend of mine with a nice original '78 Ford truck told me about this and his came out looking good, so I tried it. The glaze is kind of oily and that soaks into the paint, especially when it's dry and oxidized like mine was. Rubbing with terry cloth removes a lot of crap that didn't come out in the wash/clay steps and buffed the glaze nicely. The wax adds a tiny bit of sheen but is mostly just for protection.

Anyhow, now onto the real prep for the big drive....

-Jeremy
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

It is Friday, so...

Get those cars ready and get a room!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Getting ready.......
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Max
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Wow! Just over a month away! Jill and I head to California just 4 weeks from today.

I made some small updates to the Invaders list and map. I will be placing the order for the Invasion t-shirts on Tuesday this week. Will be adding more info on the charity silent auction in the coming days and some other details to the website.

I have our planned route posted on the Invaders map with a link to the details in the Invaders list under my name. If anyone else wants me to add their route just send me the details.

Getting so, so close now!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

It's getting realerer!
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Guys I just thought I would put this out there. If for some reason any of the west bound travelers are coming through on Hwy 80 or Hwy 50 , If you need a place to stay before making the final leg to Crescent city my place is open. you are welcome to set up a cot in my living room and stay a night. I am south in Gardnerville, but its still easy from my house to pop up over either hwy 88 or hwy 50 over into Sacramento. The neighborhood is safe and you can park your car behind a fence if ya like.

anyway, Just shoot me a line if you could use a place to stay before the final leg.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Guys I just thought I would put this out there. If for some reason any of the west bound travelers are coming through on Hwy 80 or Hwy 50 , If you need a place to stay before making the final leg to Crescent city my place is open. you are welcome to set up a cot in my living room and stay a night. I am south in Gardnerville, but its still easy from my house to pop up over either hwy 88 or hwy 50 over into Sacramento. The neighborhood is safe and you can park your car behind a fence if ya like.

anyway, Just shoot me a line if you could use a place to stay before the final leg.

Very cool!!!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Tomorrow I will be trying to give the restaurant a rough number for Saturday night. Contact about being in the dinner party has been sparse. If you plan on being there, and havn't PM'd me about it, please do so ASAP! I don't want them to call in extra staff and underwelm them.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Well, we are currently at 27 for the dinner. I will be calling at 1pm Pacific today to set the reservations. Please contact me before then. Thank you.
ofcdoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Hello all,
I will not be attending the Invasion this time (sure do miss it). But if anyone has troubles while driving Illinois I am located 2 miles south on Interstate 80 exit 70.

Doug Narczewski
Spring Valley, Illinois
815-993-7788
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

ofcdoug wrote:
Hello all,
I will not be attending the Invasion this time (sure do miss it). But if anyone has troubles while driving Illinois I am located 2 miles south on Interstate 80 exit 70.

Doug Narczewski
Spring Valley, Illinois
815-993-7788

Awesome! Thank you!!!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

To quote Max, "The Home Stretch" is here! Start putting some test runs on your cars to make sure they can travel. I made the journey once in a car that fired off the morning I had to leave. That was and, ummm... adventure. Don't be me!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022 Reply with quote

Fingers crossed, I may have found the cause of Clemmie's latest troubles!

If she runs well for the next couple of weeks, I'll be driving her to the Invasion after all!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: