Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

If you slap a steering wheel onto the bug and sit on a milk crate, can you drive it? If the answer is yes, then you have no problem. Work on Freddy when you feel like it and want to use him shortly, and if you're not in that mood, switch to.....................taking your wonderful lady to Tahiti.

When I had bugs in that condition, I could only think of what else I might be able to do body wise. 356???

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Focus.

Chose one unit and finish it.
Ignore the other until the decided upon task is completed.

Or, harness the energy of ADHD by rapidly flipping from one job to another having fun and not having to force yourself to be something you're not.

I mean, it seems to work for me...

I have focus. My 66 is to fix up and sell. If you take a look at my 66 build thread you'll see the level of focus involved and how far it's come in a few short months. We are broke, and need another form of income so that's what I'm doing. I am also splitting my time between what I consider work (the 66) and Freddie which is mine and wifeys to enjoy. Full time job, Freddie, the 66, wifey and her 4 kids. That's not ADHD, that's balance, and it's hard man, I'm exhausted but it'll be worth it in the end. We will have some extra bread and a cool vanagon to cruise around in. Not bad for a couple of broke-ass white people.

Today, we scored these at a yard sale...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and then we got busy

Wifey removed the remainder of the vinyl stripe which was not fun for me, so she took over

I continued sanding

as did she. What a woman.

Then I showed her how to pull a dent with a stud welder. She dun good!!

That's all for today. I'm hoping another coupe of hours progress tomorrow, and I should have some more exciting photos for y'all soon.

Cheers for now, have the best weekend

Gary & Christina x
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
If you slap a steering wheel onto the bug and sit on a milk crate, can you drive it? If the answer is yes, then you have no problem. Work on Freddy when you feel like it and want to use him shortly, and if you're not in that mood, switch to.....................taking your wonderful lady to Tahiti.

When I had bugs in that condition, I could only think of what else I might be able to do body wise. 356???

Duncan

That's funny you mentioned Tahiti Duncan, that's one of the places we quite fancy a beach wedding! (No we are not married yet but I call her wifey and pretty much have since we met) Haha!!

A 356....ohhhh what a glorious shape!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

More bodywork on Freddie this Saturday - jeez it was a hot one here in Utah! Progress being made!

Best wishes to you all!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi guys, hope you are all doing well.

Here's an update, although it's not the update I ever thought I'd be making.

It's sad and it hurts a lot, but myself and wifey are at a point where we need to go our separate ways. I won't go into specifics but of course it now begs the question of what we do with Freddie - I can't finish him, there's simply not enough time before we have to be out of our house, so I'll have to put him up for sale as-is - driving beautifully and everything (except the AC) working great, just with an unfinished body.

I'd love your guys' input as to what price sticker should I place on Freddie?

Yours sadly. The Pilch.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Pilch--This is the saddest news. You seemed to have everything going. A woman who was super enthusiastic about Freddie and you had made such great progress. I am sure I speak for all who have read your posts and the work you were able to do. Your vision of what Freddie could become was a really good one.

How many dreams we see destroyed during the course of a life. We all sincerely hope you will be OK. I know the pain right now is difficult, but maybe there will still be a great T3 in your future at some other point.

Please keep posting and let us know you are doing at least adequately well. We wish you the best.

Duncan
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

I'd ask whatever you paid for it plus 50% of the cost of any parts you've replaced and have receipts for.

The van has not gone down in value. I see the body work done as enhancing value, but others may not.

I don't think you can fairly charge for your time/labor on resale though.

Sorry about the life change, been there, it sucks no matter what the reasons and circumstances are.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Dang. That's hard. Keep pushing through and there will be good days to follow.

Did you buy this van from the original owner? If so, maybe they want to buy it back.

As far as pricing goes, a forced sale of a project will sell for a discount. If things like the cracked bushings haven't been repaired it will still show deferred maintenance (nice work on the fuel lines).

$3K???

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

3K--no way. A solid running clean tintop, with all you have done, should go for 5 at the minimum. More if the interior is cherry. The paint is a problem. I have no idea, but maybe it's worth painting it all one color even if it's just in prime. Mask and hit it with grey prime from rattle cans and I'll bet you can get at least 4500.

Duncan
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

That's really sad - you had so much enthusiasm for that little van. Sad Best of luck moving it for a satisfactory amount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Jan 7th 2023.

I'd like to begin with a Happy New Year to you all.

I would very much like to let you guys know that since wifey left, we have become closer. It's been horrible living apart, but the universe works in strange ways. The months ticked by, and the closer we became. We've had some fun times - our Doc and Marty Halloween costumes...

...we had a great Christmas as we hope you all did too, and here's a picture of us today...

She's coming back to me as soon as possible.

And while all this was happening, guess who was sitting patiently in the garage, as the other VW's were all sold on...that's right, Freddie is back!!

So excited to be back here, and for this spring. Hello you guys!!!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Fabulous news. Congrats on the reunion. Good luck on Freddie and keep us posted. In a time of unsettling news, this is uplifting. Go for it. What a great way to start the new year.

Duncan
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Pilch, I just read through the whole thread in one go, its great to see another Utahn, theres a few of us lurking here. Looks like you’ve done some great work on your van, keep it up!

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Sorry..... I don't follow the whole story but I guess the bottom line is that you have a restored relationship and a Van waiting for a restoration.

Good to have you back!
Looking forward to updates.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Sorry..... I don't follow the whole story but I guess the bottom line is that you have a restored relationship and a Van waiting for a restoration.

Good to have you back!
Looking forward to updates.

Dave

Note that word. Very important. A mechanical restoration is very different from patch-'n-go, which is what I did, resulting in a less than reliable car. RESTORATION--my New Year's resolution.

Agree whole heartedly in all his observations.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Welcome back to the madness. I am very happy for you and wifey. Sometimes absence does make the heart grow fonder. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Very Happy thats awesome dude! marry her asap and fix the bus!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks you guys, we are very excited to move forward, both with life and an old VW.

We should have some posts/updates here pretty soon, seem to be working lat a bit too much these days but for now, thanks again and here's a random pic of Freddie yesterday...

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Welcome back! Hope your story continues its upward trajectory.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks Red Ryder....I do too. Updates to come Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: