Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gasoline experiment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

just finished a carb refurb on my sister's 11.5hp Briggs mower motor that was varnished up, rubber bits including float needle tip swollen beyond use and a bowl gasket expanded beyond reason and general malaise cured only by new parts and a hot Pine Sol ultrasonic bath. she wouldn't buy the non-ethanol premium..... that stuff is evil for small engines. maybe not so good for vintage cars.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It turned out to be about 20% better in total carbon footprint than oil, but recently someone has measured the trapped CO2 released by tilling

Witless Joe wrote:

farmers till the soil for the corn, and put ever increasing amounts of land under tillage,]

who the f*ck is still using tilling in corn production?

we have been using a no till planter since Christ was a cowboy as it totally eliminates DAYS worth of work (not to mention fuel)

we have a 10 row version of this:

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/220525A/item/JR9602?utm_source=machinio&utm_medium=referral

i couldn't imagine going back to using a harrow before planting corn

anyway, when all of this got started we watched grain prices about double overnight. use to be able to feed 1k turkeys for about 7K. it's closer to 22k now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
just finished a carb refurb on my sister's 11.5hp Briggs mower motor that was varnished up, rubber bits including float needle tip swollen beyond use and a bowl gasket expanded beyond reason and general malaise cured only by new parts and a hot Pine Sol ultrasonic bath. she wouldn't buy the non-ethanol premium..... that stuff is evil for small engines. maybe not so good for vintage cars.

I have been using ethanol-free gas for years in my 70's BMW motorcycles. As I understand it, ethanol is hygroscopic and can bond with hydrogen. This invites water from the air into the gasoline when sitting for a bit. This wreaks havoc on the tank liner and promotes rust. Ethanol gas is also destructive to the plastic bits (float and gaskets) in the carburetors.

I just assumed my '85 Westy or anything manufactured prior to the popularity of ethanol might have similar issues and have been using ethanol-free fuel since I bought the van.

Does anyone know if Vanagon tanks or fuel delivery systems are harmed by ethanol gas? The fuel tanks are metal, so I would assume the same rules apply there.

Interesting info on gas mileage. I had not considered that. It would be interesting to compare octane levels and MPG as well though I doubt the cost would be offset. 93 ethanol-free is the easiest for me to find.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Neither number is wonderful 14.373 mpg 10%
15.057 for ethanol free.
Mostly around town short hops under 20 miles.
Automatic trans.

My '91 ALH mTDI Automatic always gets better than 25 MPG and has vastly better performance than a 2.1 WBX. My ALH mTDI is more reliable and less expensive for maintenance than a 2.1 WBX.

At times I do pay a premium on diesel. The local fuel prices are currently (sometimes it flips the other direction and diesel is less expensive than regular unleaded):

4.36 - regular unleaded
4.66 - premium unleaded
5.29 - diesel

That means that I currently pay 22% more per gallon for diesel vs. regular unleaded. I pay 14% more per gallon for diesel vs. premium. I get 67% better miles per gallon.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

drove 425 miles over the weekend to upstate NY and back and averaged 18.17 mpg - regular 87 octane with the 10% ethanol. never went over 65 and did lots of lesser roads with a 48 mile section of interstate.

climbing that last hill on the Taconic to NY 301 was a Bear Wink

BiWerks Design, LLC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

^^^ Trains? Bike rides? I hope it was a good trip.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Here's my experience with ethanol free "pure" gas...

Last year, I was living in New Mexico. I had my syncro with me, so it was
my daily driver for about 10 months Cool

I made a lot of trips to California to see my dad. Usually, this was usually a 13 hour, 800+ mile drive one-way. These were all done in my syncro, except for 1 trip when my van was down with a fuel leak. I rented a car. More on that later.

The first 5 or 6 trips, I used regular pump gas. The last few trips, I used ethanol free gas on the initial fill up (3 tanks to my dads).

2 things I noticed were: race car exhaust smell, and additional driving range, even if I only used ethanol free gas on my initial fill up. If I started out my trip in NM with a full tank of ethanol free gas, I could make it to my dads on my last fill up in Quartsite, AZ with regular pump gas. That last fill up was important as the gas sold there was about $1 less per gallon vs California. Before, when I was using pump gas, I needed to stop and fill up 10-15 miles before my destination in CA.

The downside to the ethanol free gas was that it caused a fuel leak. Seems like all the crappy pump gas was keeping the original seal at my syncro gas tank swollen. When I put in "pure" gas, the seal relaxed and I had a gas leak. Not being able to fix that leak at the time, I switched back to standard pump gas. Leak went away, along with my additional driving range (15 to 20 extra miles per tank). This makes since, because pump gas "may" contain 10% ethanol, whereas pure gas does not, so you are getting 1+ gallon more real gas per tank.

So, IMO, use ethanol free gas if you can, but your gas tank seals and fuel lines will need to be new or fresh.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ Trains? Bike rides? I hope it was a good trip.

you know me too well.

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

It might be my imagination but it might have a bit more "ZIP" pulling some of the daily grades?
The beautiful early Summer days with the windows down may be the reason as well.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It might be my imagination but it might have a bit more "ZIP" pulling some of the daily grades?
The beautiful early Summer days with the windows down may be the reason as well.......

Dave

every single 'ping' not experienced is more power to the wheels. and many are not audible so you may gain more than you think.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Might seem odd from an Iowa dweller to say this, but I drive a 5% climb roughly 1 mile long every day after work. I can hit it exactly the same on each run, with slight variance of load due to fuel tank level, and groceries gotten. Most days I have the road completely open, nobody clogging my run at the hill, so I try to start the climb at 64 mph. I floor it as I hit the grade, and keep it pegged. Some days I can hold 64, others I slowly fall to 55 or slower. My observation (other than gasoline being 100% gasoline/petrol/benzine) is that temperature and humidity are the cause of the 'holds 64' or doesn't --- mid 40's F and 60% humidity are when it holds. Hotter and more humidity are toll takers. Colder and drier don't help either. Obviously I flip the A/C off as I start up the climb in the hot months.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Might seem odd from an Iowa dweller to say this, but I drive a 5% climb roughly 1 mile long every day after work. I can hit it exactly the same on each run, with slight variance of load due to fuel tank level, and groceries gotten. Most days I have the road completely open, nobody clogging my run at the hill, so I try to start the climb at 64 mph. I floor it as I hit the grade, and keep it pegged. Some days I can hold 64, others I slowly fall to 55 or slower. My observation (other than gasoline being 100% gasoline/petrol/benzine) is that temperature and humidity are the cause of the 'holds 64' or doesn't --- mid 40's F and 60% humidity are when it holds. Hotter and more humidity are toll takers. Colder and drier don't help either. Obviously I flip the A/C off as I start up the climb in the hot months.

Interesting...... ^^^^^

My Van has been running strong and really really good ....... but the weather has been amazing too!
Shirt sleeve and sunny.
Maybe there is a very real relationship between good weather and good running?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Another fill up .........
mpg's up to 15.229

I'd love to see that at 17 mpg but I'm toting 5,000 lbs or more in towns and on back roads.
No sustained high speeds at all.

It's running good.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Overall the MPG’s haven’t shown a tremendous change but I do swear it runs better 🤷🏼‍♂️

Three more tank fulls
14.963 mpg
15.413 mpg
And just yesterday
15.743 mpg

Prices keep rising although ethanol free was $5.39/9 is about the same price as a mid range fuel now “Plus” at $5.43/9
Regular 10% is $4.99/9

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Stopped in central Wisconsin during a recent road trip for refueling at a BP. My pump had Ultimate ethanol-free for the same price as regular. I inquired inside and they said that my pump had been overlooked in being reset and that they would shut the pump down after I filled up which I did immediately. Surprisingly, my gas mileage went down by about 2 mpg. I keep accurate records and always do the math as opposed to using the mileage gauge. I usually avoid BP fuels so I don't know if it was simply the brand of fuel that caused the mileage drop or is this proof that premium fuel is a scam? My previous fillup was Shell regular. I would have to say that you are throwing money away if you are using premium when your vehicle does not require it.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

As a premium fuel truck driver for quite a few years I can tell you that when you fuel your truck at the rack and you put the customer code in the computer it pulls from a completely different tank. It is not the same fuel as your convenient store gasoline.

That does not make it better by no means because it can be the best gasoline in the world but if that fuel is dumped in a ground tank with 12 inches of who knows what at the bottom of it then....its now garbage too!

Ask any convenient store clerk when the last time the filters were changed at the pump and I'm betting they don't know there are filters there. And don't even get me started on the seals on the caps on the in ground tanks that allow rain, snow and dirt into the tanks, and I love the just dump that 87 octane in that 91 octane tank it'll be OK! I know for a fact there was a station in Pittsburgh PA with a 91 octane tank half full of diesel because I know the driver that did it and didn't say anything and no complaints ever came back.

I always swore by shell fuel until one day I filled my tank with mud from one of them, now I think they all suck so now I pick the busiest place and hope I stay safe.

I now have a in tank fuel pump with a canister 10 micron fuel filter that lasts about 300 hours before I have to change it out.

All fuel sucks now days because you just have no real way of knowing what you are buying.

my 2 cents for what its worth.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

I’m taking off 5 points for each significant figure error.

You have to use the same station and pump to make these tests meaningful. Volume delivered error is roughly 5% between pumps and 2.5% at a given pump.

Measuring 20 mpg , that means a 0.5 mpg variation due to gas volume alone
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

You have to use the same station and pump to make these tests meaningful. Volume delivered error is roughly 5% between pumps and 2.5% at a given pump.

Since gasoline pricing is measured in tenths of one cent which implies precision, I have to question these figures and the legality of such errors in delivery if true. That would mean at a nominal $5.00 per gallon, you could actually be paying as much as $5.125 or as low as $4.875 at a given pump.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Since gasoline pricing is measured in tenths of one cent which implies precision, I have to question these figures and the legality of such errors in delivery if true. That would mean at a nominal $5.00 per gallon, you could actually be paying as much as $5.125 or as low as $4.875 at a given ump.

here is the standard used in Pennsylvania

Quote:
Weights and measures officials check fuel pumps annually for accuracy. Inspectors measure fuel in cubic inches; there are 231 cubic inches (or 256 tablespoons) in one gallon of fuel. An error of plus or minus six (+/- 6) cubic inches per five (5) gallons (approximately 1 tablespoon per gallon) is the maximum error allowed before a fuel pump is rejected

BiWerks Design, LLC
minah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gasoline experiment Reply with quote

So here is my experience with the pure gas experiment.
I filled up a full tank last week. Drove about 70 miles throughout the week. Van sat over the weekend and when I went to start it today fuel leaked from BOTH sides at the injectors area.
Those hoses/injectors/crimp clamps are new in the last year and have only used the standard 10% E gas here in Colorado.

Why would pure gas cause a leak?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: