Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oversized brake shoes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

does anybody make O/S brake shoes anymore?

there used to be a kit, 211 698 134 A
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

There are companies that can do that for you.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

why. If the drums are still in spec but have been cut, re-arc the shoes. Most new shoes seem to be arc'd a little over size anyway.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

Having shoes relined seems to be the only way to keep actual bus brake shoes on your 73-79 bus.
All the mfr's seem to have gone to providing Vanagon shoes, which are not the same.
If you're going to that much trouble anyway, might as well have 'em fit the linings to your drums at the same time.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

I don't know. I've found old stock ATE and Pagid brake shoes for bays just by watching for them online. That said, any brake lining shop that does truck brakes can reline old shoes with Bendix or other linings that are as good as originals. That is what I used to do in the 70's and 80's.
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

update: I had a pair of drums turned a couple weeks ago. big hassel... hard to find someone to turn drums, ands no one does drums for VW anymore because of the oddball tooling. I finally found an old school shop that still had the adapter and the drums are in spec at max allowed diameter. they do not arc shoes

the new shoes aren't even close

I asked a dozen shops about arcing the shoes. and no. some on the phone... long pause.... ahhhh what now? some in person,,, they looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead. yeah, an old timer knew what I was talkin about, but... we don't do that anymore.... not in years & years

maybe if there were an antique auto club or two. I can think of one possibility about 400 miles out, but none around here.

yesterday a guy from an old shop gave my brother a brake lathe. gave it to him... we don't do that any more. it takes up space, we gotta train somebody, and the liabilities... etc. thats where its going. modern brake shops buy all new parts to install.

and yeah, I asked if they had the arc machine... and no.

so, I guess I'll make one. all you have to do is get the radius right and feed it into the mill
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

I arc'd mine with sandpaper and the drum. Perfect fit. About 30 - 45 minutes of work. A brake shoe arc machine would have been like 30 seconds. Wear a mask just in case.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

Don't know where you are at, but many cities will still have a business who replaces brake linings and can install a slightly thicker lining for you. I have had this done many times in the past.

Ott's Friction Supply in Portland, OR was who I used.

Porter Webster comes up on a search as another possibility.

If you are just using off the shelf relined shoes, you can usually get by well enough if you keep the brakes adjusted up well for the first few thousand miles until they wear in and develop and good contact patch. I like to set them at a very light drag and then monitor the heat from the drums to make sure things aren't getting to hot. Check/tighten them up at 500-1000 mile intervals for the next five thousand miles or so.

Yeah, our local NAPA gave away all their machinery for relining and rearcing brakes twentyish years ago. The stuff probably eventually got to some third world country.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

dogmeat wrote:
they looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead. yeah, an old timer knew what I was talkin about, but... we don't do that anymore.... not in years & years

too funny Laughing

dogmeat wrote:

yesterday a guy from an old shop gave my brother a brake lathe. gave it to him... we don't do that any more. it takes up space, we gotta train somebody, and the liabilities... etc. thats where its going. modern brake shops buy all new parts to install.

in my recent brake adventures i have been considering a brake lathe. i use to run one at a shop i worked at many moons ago.

it's not a money thing for me, but as your story points out it's a space thing. they are heavy as fuck and do hog up a ton of real estate. i have been keeping my eyes out and may pop for one at some point

i

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

just looking online, there was a smaller high quality arcing machine that sold at Barrett-Jackson for $201 so those auctions might be a place to keep an eye. This is just the arcing machine, and not the brake lathe. Those are available too in many places but the size and cost is too much for the few times it might be used. Right now I just hand arc them.
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

I'm in Anchorage AK. most all the old school shops are gone because the real mechanics are old & retired.

machine work is another thing thats getting hard to find. I was in a shop that deals with foreign cars, and the only place I found that could turn the drums (they couldn't balance the wheels though because the VW tooling was broken a few years ago) (I found another outfit that can balance the wide 5s but they don't turn drums). anyway, I'm standing there and some guy phones asking about getting a flywheel turned. the guy behind the counter says no one in town will do that anymore. I'm surprised.... I didn't know there was still a machine shop in town (actually there is). I know of two in outlying towns 20ish miles out, but the waiting line is months
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

dogmeat wrote:
I'm in Anchorage AK. most all the old school shops are gone because the real mechanics are old & retired.

machine work is another thing thats getting hard to find. I was in a shop that deals with foreign cars, and the only place I found that could turn the drums (they couldn't balance the wheels though because the VW tooling was broken a few years ago) (I found another outfit that can balance the wide 5s but they don't turn drums). anyway, I'm standing there and some guy phones asking about getting a flywheel turned. the guy behind the counter says no one in town will do that anymore. I'm surprised.... I didn't know there was still a machine shop in town (actually there is). I know of two in outlying towns 20ish miles out, but the waiting line is months

yeah. It is getting harder and harder to find machine shops. Most here in the Sacramento area of 3+ million people have closed. It isn't so much that the work isn't there, but rather that the current generation is not interested in coming home smelling of machine oil, grease and dirt. The best shop here was started by a father back in the 1950's. His three or four sons took it over about 30 years ago when he passed then one by one retired and sold to the remaining brother(s). Last time I checked, the remaining brother had it up for sale and he told me that if no one bought it soon he was shutting down and auctioning the stuff off. At one time they ground cams, cranks, did all sorts of stuff not worthwhile today. He told me he can ship a crankshaft out and have it done cheaper and better in LA than he can do it. I am sure California's ever increasing minimum wage law doesn't help. Entry level minimum wage is up to about what I started at the state 15 years ago, and with a degree, and 20 years experience in my field.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

Donny,
Our friend in Arizona has a brake lathe machine
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Donny,

don't do me any good in connectiCUT does it?

(see what i did there?)

i honestly don't have the space in the shop and running to the barn or hangar would be a pain in the ass.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Donny,

don't do me any good in connectiCUT does it?

(see what i did there?)

i honestly don't have the space in the shop and running to the barn or hangar would be a pain in the ass.

Doesn't help me either
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

Arcing alternatives if you don't have the machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n02-GU_VYs
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703136&highlight=drums+grooves+shoes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: oversized brake shoes Reply with quote

thanks... seen the first two

I still lookin but can't find anyone that has the machine so I will prolly make a fixture to do them on my mill. I not going to use a belt sander and "hand job" it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: