Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

So I'm almost at 1000 miles in my restored June '56 oval. A few drips had appeared so on the weekend I pulled off the RHS wheel to get under and check things out. I noticed a small drip of brake fluid on the connector near the hose clip on the axle, and figured it needed a tighten up. While doing that I noticed the shocker paint had been worn off - and investigating that I realised it had been rubbing on the brake line.

I cleaned everything up and gave it a bit of a wiggle, then pressed the brake pedal. Brake fluid squirted out the line. Not good! Thankfully I discovered this, as it would probably have been my next drive that ended in disaster.

So now I'm wondering what went wrong? I always say to people that the three things I left to the pros in my resto was the brakes, paint and upholstery. But it seems the brakes weren't installed correctly!

The line runs along the axle from the clip, and then makes a right-angle turn up and back before another right-angle bend and then attaching to the cylinder. It looks to me as if the left and right lines may have been swapped? That would mean the bend up and back would clear the line from the shock absorber. Or is this just the wrong part that has been used?

And how pissed should I be at the folks that resto'd my brakes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

on my car the brake line curved over the axle nearer the connection so it didn't run past the shock absorber

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

Hmmmmm..........those lines start straight and they are bent to one's liking.

In the 2nd pic, did you happen to pull the line away from the shock to get the pic? Because in that pic it looks like there's plenty of room between shock & line. But swapping wouldn't have solved that as they were bent as they were installed.

(I just did mine & need to see how close mine are now that I see yours because I only had about 1/2" between my shocks and lines, assuming that was enough) Confused
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
In the 2nd pic, did you happen to pull the line away from the shock to get the pic? Because in that pic it looks like there's plenty of room between shock & line. But swapping wouldn't have solved that as they were bent as they were installed.

I didn't have to pull the line away for the photo. It does look like there's a good clearance in that photo, but it's only about 12mm or so, so when the shocker is compressed and the outer section comes down it rubs.

I guess I'll just get new lines and reinstall them with a big clearance this time!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

You need to bend it right after the attachment to the soft line. In your picture the line goes straight for a bit. Not correct and was the leading cause of your issue. Bend the line about an inch after the soft line.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

nic_ your brakelines are just a bit close to shocks.

nic_ original poster have his brake cylinder at 12 o´clock.
Finster have his brake cylinder at 6 o´clock.

Like comparing apples and oranges as brakelines run completly different.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake line worn through - installed incorrectly? Reply with quote

not really - the answer is the same, start the bend closer to the bracket...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: