Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sidewinder 'Dip'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:

Getting rid of that dip

We are yet to adjust the fuel and timing in that area too.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If it was just a different intake length it would have shifted the swings, but it smoothed it out, so you must be dampening the intake pulsations with the airbox.

The intake and exhaust tune very different but both have swings like that.

Your test DOES prove that the intake is causing that primarily, but....
Still can be made far better or worse depending on how the intake and exhaust tuning "lines up" through the rpm range.

Calvin Elston once said about intake and exhaust manifolds, tri-y VS four into one, IR VS plenum intakes... that you "Need a plenum on one side or the other" to smooth the pulsaitions and I don't necessarily agree but it is very interesting idea indeed.

Thought of something funny right after I posted that.
My latest exhaust design does have an added volume at the final collector, so..... that's irony.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

We'll just keep throwing different parts at it. So far it's had 4 different size throttles with predictable results , small incremental increases at the top end and next we're onto a manifold change
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Ever since we took the muffler off, and connected it up to dyno extraction system, we have had a large volume collector. Paul will confirm but it's something like 3" dia connected to the header.
Should that have done something to the dip?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

modok wrote:
modok wrote:
If it was just a different intake length it would have shifted the swings, but it smoothed it out, so you must be dampening the intake pulsations with the airbox.

The intake and exhaust tune very different but both have swings like that.

Your test DOES prove that the intake is causing that primarily, but....
Still can be made far better or worse depending on how the intake and exhaust tuning "lines up" through the rpm range.

Calvin Elston once said about intake and exhaust manifolds, tri-y VS four into one, IR VS plenum intakes... that you "Need a plenum on one side or the other" to smooth the pulsaitions and I don't necessarily agree but it is very interesting idea indeed.

Thought of something funny right after I posted that.
My latest exhaust design does have an added volume at the final collector, so..... that's irony.

It is correct. Take a look at a power curve from most any engine equipped with say Kadrons or stocker plus engines. They hardly ever have the dip if the cams are within reason.
UK Luke 72 wrote:
Ever since we took the muffler off, and connected it up to dyno extraction system, we have had a large volume collector. Paul will confirm but it's something like 3" dia connected to the header.
Should that have done something to the dip?

Opening to "free air" right after the collector, which is basicly what you do if the suction is 3", will skew the results quite a bit actually, Mostly in the lmidrange, but also a little on peak power.

Last edited by Alstrup on Sun May 15, 2022 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Modoc, you mentioned earlier about getting the proportions different by going over the top af the engine. That is what I did on this one. What I was really after was a tee pee style exhaust for off road clearance but with the tri Y low end advantage. Then by default, trying to fit in a larger quieter muffler I ended up with a long tube after the second Y. There just wasn't room to get that big muffler closer to the last Y. The end result is the primaries and secondaries are about equal in length and the third tube before the muffler is about 3 times that length.

Not a lot of science in this system, more convenience but I wish there was a dyno somewhere nearby so I could graph the results. Just interested in the curve more that the actual numbers to see if I accomplished the low and mid range that I was after. The butt dyno says so but that is not that accurate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one shows the additional length and muffler I added. The first muffler was creating too much back pressure at full throttle.

Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Once we've completed the intake testing I've go a couple of header muffler combos to put on there and I might even have a stinger. It's going to be like engine testing episode of "Myth Busters" a refreshing change from the "Dysney Channel" Wink
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
... but I wish there was a dyno somewhere nearby so I could graph the results.[/img]

I have been looking for a stand alone G meter performance measuring tool but haven't found an affordable one yet.

A long hill and a stopwatch will document changes but no way to convert to hp/tq
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Far too late to get any "before" data! And beside that a timed run is more an indication of top end power, not so much an indicator of low and mid range improvement. I suppose if the rpms were limited to 3000 it would mean something...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

No idea if it's ideally tuned, but far as I know should be decent.
Thanks for building it....worth it for the pics, just to prove it can be built.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

It feels pretty lively for a 1641 single port but then it's in a light car...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Look at the THIS "sidewinder", it's a bit different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwKJb5n7sk&t=89s&ab_channel=CBperformance
IMHO the tubing after the collector is too big.slowing the gasses and letting the pulses stagnate and "get confused" dancing around in the big pipe loosing velocity &direction witch will affect scavenging. eye wood try 2" from the collector to the muff. you could make it sleaveable and test lengths to find the place where it needs steped back up to muffler size.. also varrying the 2" dia wouldent be expensive to test other size's the see just what worked best. if you have programable timing you may also be able to do some timing work to complement it. also.put some gaskets on the booster vents and the stacks. and if the boosters are not straight as many arnt, you can fix then now too., rejet as necessary. but remember all engines have dips&highs your trying to minamixe them and maximize the ENTIRE package.

if you have ever watched a fighter jet and seen the flame out the back it will varry in length and how close to the after burner it is at differnt speed&thrust. you can also see different rings in the flame moving,our exhaust is dam neer the same. Shocked they go in waves.and when the waves are in the rong place in the rong pipe....you get a wonkey scavenge. the header is a fixed length on most of these cars so thats not adjustable but after where all the scavagning is taking place is. usualy a cone after the collector cone helps, but how big it gets is what your tuning with as well as length of cone & the pipe comming off it and its lenght&dia. I have a set fo extreamly expensive adjustable stahl headers hear they have 2,4,6,9" "tunable changeable" sections , slip joints for fine tuning different cams shaft,engine size ,intake length whatever. so you can tune and maxamize your combo. sorry no there not for a vw.there for a 67 vette nhra class drag car 287 ci 5 speed zinger.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

I suspect the same but it should be tested to prove it.
EYE wood try 2 1/8, but there MAY be some reason it is how it is, that isn't clear.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Anyone not a fan of the AA sidewinder? I have one in the garage ceramic coated. Never used it. 1 5/8
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

So no complaints on the AA? There are ZERO traditional merged systems available anywhere. I guess I'll use it.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

My CSP Python JUST showed up at my doorstep. After inspecting their work, I would spend the extra money on the Python instead of AA's Sidewinder. Hell, after seeing A1 seemingly slip in QC, I would still go with CSP. They have it in stock. Just need to wait a bit for shipping/customs.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

The quality of the CSP python ain't that great and it's well over priced. Don't know about the A1 and the mufflers on the chinese systems are total crap
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

I have never held a CSP, but the price seems crazy, especially getting one here in the US. The A1 is absolutely not amazing, especially for the money and the wait. I know CB quit selling them a while back also. They do fit decent, but the mufflers are nothing fantastic.

The AA header is great for the money, but the muffler is junk. The header is typical build and welds. Similar to what the CB house brand looks like. I have had a mild steel AA 1 5/8" sidewinder on my lowered bay for 25k miles now. Driven mostly year round (in South Dakota snow and crap roads), and it is still holding up great. I sandblasted it when it was new, and painted it with BBQ paint. I built my own muffler section with a Hooker brand Super quiet straight through muffler.

I think this "dip" is greatly caused by the sidewinder itself. I have seen it on multiple different engines I have built, and seen it on other guys with sidewinders. Most every one will go super rich in the 2000-3500 rpm range killing power and making it bog. I have been trying forever to jet around it, but I cant get it to work out in my favor. A very similar engine with a standard merge, or a vintage speed doesn't have the super rich spot.

My own sweep the floor 1835cc w/DCNF's had the super rich spot with a AA 1 1/2" sidewinder. I swapped to a CB hideout, and the rich spot went away, and the jetting went back to normal.

I am a fan of vintage speed mufflers for the 145hp and down guys. Good build quality, good fit, quiet, and so far, no odd tuning.

Brian
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

I think this "dip" is greatly caused by the sidewinder itself. I have seen it on multiple different engines I have built, and seen it on other guys with sidewinders. Most every one will go super rich in the 2000-3500 rpm range killing power and making it bog. I have been trying forever to jet around it, but I cant get it to work out in my favor. A very similar engine with a standard merge, or a vintage speed doesn't have the super rich spot.

My own sweep the floor 1835cc w/DCNF's had the super rich spot with a AA 1 1/2" sidewinder. I swapped to a CB hideout, and the rich spot went away, and the jetting went back to normal.

I am a fan of vintage speed mufflers for the 145hp and down guys. Good build quality, good fit, quiet, and so far, no odd tuning.

Brian

I think these dips are just a symptom of people over camming the engines
or maybe cheap poor quality chinese mufflers

This engine had a sidewinder and was slightly over cammed with a C35
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:

I think these dips are just a symptom of people over camming the engines
or maybe cheap poor quality chinese mufflers

Maybe, but I am running only a [email protected] cam in a 2332cc, and I replaced the China muffler with something pretty decent. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Mine still has the big dip in AFR.

I really don’t know what it is, and I don’t have the time to get the dyno running and spend a week trying to figure it out right now. I do know it has happened on most all the engines I have worked with, and the only real common thing is the sidewinder.

I am really interested to see what you guys get figured out. 👍🏻

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: