Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

During assembely of an early 40hp engine I wonder why the adjusting screws don't meet the valve shaft as I would think they should and I know from the 36hp and 30hp engines. I would like to concentrate on the sideward offset given through the VW bulletin, but it isn't really possible as the adjusting screws hardly meet the valve shaft end. They nearly hit the edges of the shaft ends. For my taste, the rocker shaft sits too far downwards.
This is observed at the current cylinderheads with index "B" with retrofitted original VW short studs, I also keep the original heads with no index in their original condition an there it is absolutely the same. Also, the adjusting srews are nearly set at the end, there are only maximum two turns left.
Is this normal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For me it should look like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

The adjusting screw center being offset is to aid in the rotation of the valve.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
The adjusting screw center being offset is to aid in the rotation of the valve.

Yes I now, but my question was not about this. It is offset in height and not sidewards as it should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

Rocker geometry can be affected by pushrod length, spacers where rocker shaft mounts, as well as along shaft between rockers. Good luck!!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Rocker geometry can be affected by pushrod length, spacers where rocker shaft mounts, as well as along shaft between rockers. Good luck!!

Ok, right, but this is still not the point. Before disassembly the engine was in an untouched original condition. On both kinds of cylidner heads, before and after the assembly, it's the same picture. I have no choice and leave it as is, just wonder if someone else observed the same thing.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

Did you split the case and inspect lifters? When I rebuilt my 1500 to 1600, lifters were so worn as to be concave (instead of convex as they should be) where they ride on cam lobes. This might explain your need to extend rocker adjusters out so far as to make them contact valve stem ends too low? There are engine builders with way more experience in the performance forum, maybe post your issue here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. Independend, I can turn the adjusting screw in and out, it never comes to a position I would think is normal.
My hope here is that Glutamodo or Rome come with their early 40hp experience telling me it is just normal.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

are the rocker blocks upside down by chance?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

will check it.
Got back today an engine block of a 1962 engine I already know and have driven for two years. I will have a close look on the situation there, as the cylinder heads are also old ones.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: early 40hp: adjusting screws don't meet valve shaft properly Reply with quote

Today I had time to look under the valve covers of the 1962 engine. The same story, so it seems to be original like that. Only difference was, the blocks for the rocker shaft have a bevel. Perhaps they improved the alignment for the adjusting screws with cylinder head index "C".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: