Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I think it's great that there are two other zwitters in different stages of decon/ reconstruction at the same time. I've used pictures from both yours Jim, and Neils as a reference while piecing mine back together. Half the reason I document any of this is that I know the pics will help someone else down the road, and the other half is so I can share it with some friends and relatives, without having to send them each a dozen pics every week. MY father and his best friend Shawn drove a 58 bus back and forth cross country from 67-69. Dad's passed but Shawn checks this thread from time to time to see just how crazy VW enthusiast are.
SD

if there are any specific pics you want let me know. ill be happy to run out to the garage and snap a few.

mandraks wrote:
what color is this ashtray?

it looks like it is the same color as my 53 oval. metallblau L35?

im pretty sure its black. ill take some more pics of it with something to calibrate color off of.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

after closer inspection the ashtray is a very dark blue. here are some pics i took to try and show that color.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
after closer inspection the ashtray is a very dark blue. here are some pics i took to try and show that color.

here is what mine looks like:

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

i think we are talking about the same color here. if it is in fact L35 that would make it march 53 at the earliest.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
i think we are talking about the same color here. if it is in fact L35 that would make it march 53 at the earliest.

i think it is L35, and that is a rare color. if you can find some original paint fenders, i would be interested. missing mine.

Uli

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
...if you can find some original paint fenders, i would be interested. missing mine.

i know i dont have any extra fenders, but ill keep an eye out and let you know if i end up finding anything.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

today, while cleaning up some random boxes of junk, i found another pic of the bug. i think this is further evidence of interior modification from a 54 ashtray opening to a 52 ashtray opening. consistent with what i see on the back side and the details elsewhere on the body. the picture was stuffed into the bottom of a box full of outlets, window latches and plumbing parts. the glovebox still has those pencil markings on it.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

dumping some photos that i havent shared yet.

this bunch is from late july/early august of 2021.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

these are some fun angles and colors.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

this one is from the first time i sat in the bug as an adult. july 31 2021. im having a glass of hot pepper mead that i call the spicy steve. i brewed it with my pops shortly before he died. its ~40 proof and tastes like liquid fire.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

My local watering hole, 4 Sons Brewery, put out a Habanero Pineapple beer, that was a decent drink that left the back of your throat tinglely. It was good stuff! I sure your Dad would have raised one with you and smiled at your dedication and enthusiasm for his project! Keep up the great work and story!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
My local watering hole, 4 Sons Brewery, put out a Habanero Pineapple beer, that was a decent drink that left the back of your throat tinglely. It was good stuff! I sure your Dad would have raised one with you and smiled at your dedication and enthusiasm for his project! Keep up the great work and story!

thanks for checking in!

i havent made a ton of car progress recently. ive been working on the house - repainted the living room and dining room and retiled one of the bathrooms - and setting up the garden for the summer. ive also had some work events that took me out of town. i got to do some public speaking about counterfeit detecting early american coins.

its really easy to loose momentum on a project of this magnitude. i plan on diving back in after i take my girlfriend up to wisconsin to visit her family this coming weekend.

as to what i have done recently... i have done some cleaning in the garage. started organizing the power tools.

ive fundraised a bit. it seems useful to have some extra cash availbale to snap up cool parts when they come available. the good stuff seems to sell pretty quickly. ive been paying attention to stuff for long enough now that i feel reasonably confident trying to make deals.

i bought a soda blasting gun. i havent gotten around to testing it yet. i went with the $20 harbor freight option to start with. i like to buy the crappy tool the first time i buy a tool. my thinking goes i dont know what i want and will probably damage it anyway. after it breaks i can decide if i want the good version or am happy with the budget model.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Good to hear you have a plan! You are more than halfway further than most.

My logic on tooling is from my Grandfather, who just turned 99 in January! Anyways, he told me, I was about 16 and could care less what that old geezer had to say, but man did it come back in my time of need!!! Several times now!,, I digress. He said, “Son, I see you are using that old hammer that was purchased from Gemco (remember those stores). I want you to know, those tools are for those that have no use to keep a tool very long. As you mature, you are going to come to rely on these “things” (tools) for your family’s livelihood and you will figure out that you will need a better hammer. So, you will go to the lumber yard or Sears and pick out a decent hammer. And that is fine, IF you only plan to use it a few times. BUT, I plan, and really, I am counting on you to make me money swinging that hammer. And if that hammer breaks, well, both of us will not make any money. So. Always. I mean always, son! Buy the best tool you can afford, and dig deep if you need to!

I agree on testing out tools, to see if you need to fork out more for a better model. Good on you for making progress no matter how it measures up to your standards. My opinion is any forward motion is better than none!

Good luck! And continue to have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Wow! This is a treasure (the thread), that is a Treasure (the car, the parts, the documentation, THE HISTORY). I just stumbled into this forum and couldn't pull away from reading this whole story. What a wealth of info.
I'm usually on the Oval forum getting the wisdom, experience and input to put my '55 together. My car is way too far from original to ever hope to get it back to that state but working with what I have I'll get it back on road one day.
I'm always getting edumacated here on TheSamba. This thread was a great find.
Thanks for the story, the information and the diligence in putting this car together. Smiley is a beauty!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Wow! This is a treasure (the thread), that is a Treasure (the car, the parts, the documentation, THE HISTORY). I just stumbled into this forum and couldn't pull away from reading this whole story. What a wealth of info.
I'm usually on the Oval forum getting the wisdom, experience and input to put my '55 together. My car is way too far from original to ever hope to get it back to that state but working with what I have I'll get it back on road one day.
I'm always getting edumacated here on TheSamba. This thread was a great find.
Thanks for the story, the information and the diligence in putting this car together. Smiley is a beauty!

Jim

hey thanks! im glad youve enjoyed the thread. one of these days there will be more progress and quality updates. sadly my plans of getting the bug running in time for the eureka springs car show wont be a reality. this project has been put on hold for a bit. a relative had some significant health issues and needed help. ive been out of town assisting her for the last month and will probably be occupied with family matters for a while. i am lucky to have a line of work that allows me to drop everything and be there when my people need me. if i never have to work with hospice again i will consider myself lucky.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
these are some fun angles and colors.

i think the passenger door is the same color as your ash tray. Same color as my 53 oval

Uli

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

been a bit since i made an update here. progress continues. ill add some more pictures later.

here you can see the bug split apart. installed the pan gasket.

here is some of the electrical/choke/brake/speedo stuff

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

this was the first time i have popped a bug in half like this. i did it by myself with a jack, a bunch of jack stands and some large chunks of lumber.

here is the gasket. nice and rubbery once i opened it up. its one long strip so you have to cut each section individually. i had maybe a foot of extra material.

the gasket is held in place with little tacks. i used a small screw driver to poke holes. stuck the gasket down with some back silicone variant and taped it up real good.

the bug dropped right back into place when i put it back down.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

I may have missed it earlier, but what plans do you have? Full restoration? Patina build?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

reassembly is probaly the best way to describe it. im focusing on making it mechanically sound with an eye towards original/stock set up. im not going to do any significant paint/weld/body work at this time.

really my goal is to drive it abound the block. the bug has been a basket case for longer than ive been alive. i dont have any formal automotive training so if i can accomplish a functional car ill be quite proud of myself.

im most of the way through wiring and brakes and have some photos to post about that stuff eventually. ill be starting the interior install fairly soon. i have the headliner/carpet/ragtop/glass/rubber/trim all inventoried and ready to start going in.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: