Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjdemarco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear Reply with quote

Ok, long time viewer, first time post. I recently acquired an awesome trike that is built on a 1972 bus with a type 3 automatic transmission (003.321.105 E). I've slowly been fixing things, like wiring, shift linkage, etc. but now in a spot I need help. The engine runs good (very loud) but it does not shift out of 1st gear. I have replaced the vacuum lines from the dual Dellorto dual carbs to the modulator but that did not help. The engine and trans were supposedly rebuilt and they look nice and clean, including the modulator, and I think on one of my earlier rides it did shift into second so I'm not thinking it is an internal problem...yet anyway. Any suggestions or recommendations?
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768306&highlight=
tjdemarco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Any idea if the same info would be in the Bentley for the 72 bus? I've found the book you referenced as well as the "Volkswagen Bus RV 1968-1976 Tune-up Shop Repair Service Manual Book Bentley 1975" on ebay and would rather have the one that matches the model my trike is based on, but only if the info is just as good.
tjdemarco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear Reply with quote

Mystery Solved!

I found the Techtran VW Transmission manual 003 010
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techt...03_010.pdf
and in the trouble shooting section it states:

Problem: Transmission stays in 1st gear with lever at 2 or D.
Probable Cause: Governor dirty or defective.
Remedy: Clean or repair governor. Fit new lock washer if old one is missing. Remove pan to retrieve old washer See 7.

I opened up the cover and one of the screws was sticking out so the transfer plate was not secure. The screw was bent but I had a spare and after reassembling and installing, it shifts great!
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 automatic not shifting out of 1st gear Reply with quote

Well done Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: