Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few observations on Thing safety
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I ran across an old thread about Thing safety. The general consensus was that Things are a deathtrap tin can of a car (but of course we love 'em).

For whatever reason, I've always been interested in crash testing and auto safety and have followed it closely over the years. Modern cars can protect you in a 50MPH crash into a bridge abutment with their multiple air bags, restraints, crumple zones, etc. Not even trying to compare a Thing with modern cars, just other older cars. I'm not sure Things are all that unsafe in that context. Hear me out:

1) A Thing has a very high sill and rides higher than many cars, making it side impact resistant. The other car's front bumper will hit the sill rather than the doors.

2) A Thing weighs 200 pounds more than a '74 bug, making it a bit more solid.

3) Front and rear bumpers on a Thing are truck type, much heavier than a Bug's bumpers. The heavy front bumper helps protect the gas tank from crash damage.

4) Thing's have a collapsible steering column and padded steering wheel and dash. Many older classic cars do not.

5) Many Things are equipped with padded roll bars (ones that are heavy steel and welded at all points, not a show bar). This provides more side impact protection and roll protection, along with a mounting point for 3 point safety harnesses (I installed those on mine). Lots of owners install high back buckets for whiplash protection.

6) Things have excellent brakes and even better ones if converted to discs. They steer quickly and handle well, helping the driver avoid an accident.

Bottom line: while you
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wouldn't want to tangle with a modern Escalade, I think you are reasonably safe driving your Thing in a VW convoy to a show or event.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Automotive crash safety ratings should use Volvo as the standard. What the Thinger lacks in modern safety crash technology; high strength steel, airbags, disc brakes, anti-lock brakes, et al; is the fact that lower carbon steel absorbes more energy overall and they are extremely light. But! the odd factor plays a huge part, people notice and stare, and hit someone else. Laughing

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

these Volvo "drive a tank" safety *sh**t* has plagued the industry for years now...and made people believe that they can crazy drive because the car can stand it.

I don't give a damn on "passive safety", we should be doing more "active safety" while we have in mind that we are vulnerable:

- respect speed limits (actually drive below the limit)
- keep a safe distance with the car in front of you
- (you get the idea)

only this keeps you real safe.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I love driving my Thing but it is not a safe car by today's standards in any way, shape or form. For this reason I avoid high speed freeway driving whenever I'm out with it, despite that my Thing is capable of 70 mph.

The stock steering wheels were never padded and the padding on the dash is minimal and positioned in a way that your head would hit the windshield long before it ever touched the dash pad.

I do have a VWoA dealer installed roll bar. It looks cool and, because of the attachment points at the B pillars, it keeps the body straight. I'm sure that it adds an incremental amount of protection, especially in a roll over situation, but I do not consider it a safety feature.

The bumpers? Truck style? They will fold up (or under) like a two dollar bill if a heavy modern car decided to hit you.

You can try to rationalize and argue that a Thing/Type 181 is relatively safe to drive but it is nothing more than a single-walled tin can that I would never ever consider putting a child seat in.

Last edited by wbailey2112 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

If you get t-boned by a large SUV, you'll be dead.

It's just a fact.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I tell my passengers that the Things greatest safety feature is that it is yellow.
72 Baja
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
Automotive crash safety ratings should use Volvo as the standard. What the Thinger lacks in modern safety crash technology; high strength steel, airbags, disc brakes, anti-lock brakes, et al; is the fact that lower carbon steel absorbes more energy overall and they are extremely light. But! the odd factor plays a huge part, people notice and stare, and hit someone else. Laughing

You reminded me of point # 7, which I left out. Things tend to be painted in bright colors like orange or yellow. They don't blend in with the scenery, causing inattentive drivers to miss seeing them.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I doubt the extra 200 pounds would’ve helped this car out. One step above a motorcycle as far as safety. Be safe.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
I tell my passengers that the Things greatest safety feature is that it is yellow.

I am definitely going to steal that line from you, Jakokombi!!

Well done. Cool
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

perello wrote:
these Volvo "drive a tank" safety *sh**t* has plagued the industry for years now...and made people believe that they can crazy drive because the car can stand it.

I don't give a damn on "passive safety", we should be doing more "active safety" while we have in mind that we are vulnerable:

- respect speed limits (actually drive below the limit)
- keep a safe distance with the car in front of you
- (you get the idea)

only this keeps you real safe.

Obviously you have never had a Volvo on a frame rack, or had the experience to know it’s not a myth. Since I have, I rest my verified point.

We’ve all had someone hurt in a car crash, your painful experience doesn’t make the car any better or worse because of it. Attacking opinions, especially professional ones does a disservice to the community.
Air bags are the real reason modern cars are safer. Not much else.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Hell, if you cared about safety you'd never put your butt in one...

Re:Volvo's, I saw one take a side hit right in front of me. A car ran a rural stop sign. The Volvo got flung into a field, stayed upright, came to rest, and both passingers walked away with only minor injuries. They ARE tanks. It was a Volvo station wagon...I forget the model number.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

The sticker on the visor says it all.

mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:

My wife and I experienced this with our last classic car, a '48 Lincoln Continental convertible. Returning from a car show at dusk on a four lane highway, a car zoomed by us, oblivious to where he was, staring at the car, and somehow went over the median and ended up in the oncoming lanes. Fortunately there was nothing coming and he was able to correct.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

An accident in any car is no fun.

You cannot rely on airbags either. How many cars have you seen that have been in a crash and the airbags have not deployed when they should have?

Being an alert driver and defensive driver is the safest solution, but that still does not completely save you from distracted drivers or ones that make bad decisions or now self driving vehicles controlled by computers (since computers are so reliable, right).

I understand that when I drive my VW, and if I have passengers in my car I drive even more defensively.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I hope to not die wadded up in my Thing, but that warning sticker above pretty well sums up my thoughts on the safety aspect of them. A Subaru Outback is about the smallest, and lowest, vehicle I can rightly hope to be hit by where I'm at, and I'm not convinced the Thing is up to the task. Probably best to just be realistic about Things, and keep your head on a swivel.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Drive your Thing like you would drive a motorcycle...
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Joe 20 said it best.

Nothing beats a top-down Thing road trip, just take it cool!

Safe travels, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Three point seat belts would help. Roll bars are a mixed blessing. Bonk your head on one in a collision and your brain may well be toast. The unibody design helps with safety, adding some energy absorbing system to the front might help with a frontal collision.
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Three point seat belts would help. Roll bars are a mixed blessing. Bonk your head on one in a collision and your brain may well be toast. The unibody design helps with safety, adding some energy absorbing system to the front might help with a frontal collision.

Roll bar padding is actually something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. To your point, whacking your head on a roll bar seems like it's nearly as bad as getting hit by a bumper or that ground or whatever.

Has anyone looked into SFI roll bar padding? Is that stuff designed for helmets-only or does it still help even without a helmet?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A few observations on Thing safety Reply with quote

I bought padding for my roll bar many years ago from Jegs. It's secured with Velcro tape which makes it adjustable and removable. Not your regular pool noddle in that the the hole is offset so you can rotate the thickest part toward the most potential "strike" area.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: