Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfershaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Hi all, my first post. I live in Australia but own a 1971 Kombi currently in storage in San Diego. In mid July I'm coming over to visit and need some work done on the van.
After a previous big trip to Mexico the transmission needs replacing. Brakes will also need some attention. Any recommendations for a quality stock transmission, and or a decent mechanic in the SD area (closer to the border the better) would be much appreciated.
I contacted Rancho Performance in Fullerton but they never replied.
Thanks very much comrades.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

I’m your guy.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

See above
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

X2.
Robbie (Airschooled) would be another good choice but he is on tour - I believe - for much of the summer. Gary is closer to the border and uses a great transmission shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Gary is your guy. You won't find a better solution.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I’m your guy.

Concur
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

transmission shop
a good dude

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

I'm yet one more here to vouch for Gary Aeromech's extensive knowledge. If I were in closer proximity to Gary, I'd trust him with my Bus as if it were my first born child.
Surfershaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your replies. I'll be in touch with Gary soon.

I know this is not a travel forum but forgive me for a bit of unusual background to my Van. I've owned it since 1986, bought in San Diego. Soon after, a good friend and great VW mechanic Bob Badenoch/ now retired, did a top end rebuild using low compression components to deal with bad Mexican gas. I store it with a friend for my US forays. It's a stock 1600 dual port.

During the past 35 years I've driven my van from SD to Panama and return via Utah and N. Oregon. Three trips to mainland Mexico. 2 via Nogales and 1 from Cabo on the ferry. It's been all over the West coast. Only broken down seriously once in Costa Rica when the engine almost fell out after the rear engine carrier was ripped out of the case hitting a deep pothole. I had a tractor tow me to a friend's place in the jungle where we repaired it and I met a lovely girl in the bargain.

Two broken clutch cables and an accelerator cable is all apart from the above. I do most of the work on it myself/you have to down south. Now, it's driveable but the tranny is pretty noisy and needs to come out.
What a great site this is.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
transmission shop
a good dude

Yup you can see Gary is well respected on this forum and knows a thing or two. Plus his good buddy Telford is a member on the Samba and is an electrical savant and knows these old cars.

My buddy restores Aircooled VWs. He uses Benco transmissions. The few problems he has had. Benco stood behind their product. He prefers them over Rancho. That said. I’ve heard positive things about Rancho from some other people I know.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Brian wrote:
transmission shop
a good dude

Yup you can see Gary is well respected on this forum and knows a thing or two. Plus his good buddy Telford is a member on the Samba and is an electrical savant and knows these old cars.

My buddy restores Aircooled VWs. He uses Benco transmissions. The few problems he has had. Benco stood behind their product. He prefers them over Rancho. That said. I’ve heard positive things about Rancho from some other people I know.

for Transmissions in SoCal use Eric at Transworks in San Diego (El Cajon)
Squareback619
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Hi, took my square to Griffins Auto in Downtown SD. The guys at Vee Parts in National City recommended them. They adjusted the valves during an oil change service and I have had to take it back because of the amount of oil it leaked after the services was done and it continues to have excessive leakage around valve covers and other spots. Would like to take it in or have someone look a it. I live in the Chula Vista area and I am a SD Aircooled member. Anyone know a good mechanic that can take a look at it. I do not recommend Griffins Auto. I have had the square fro about 2 years and it has been a great car. I dont know much about the history of the car. Thanks for any advice or recommendations in advance.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Tim Kotter in Escondido ("Kotter's VW Service") is a great guy and knows his stuff. His shop has been around for a long time and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone with an old VW. You can't go wrong with them... other than the fact that they get super busy. I've sent a couple people their way.

People on SD VW Facebook groups really seem to like Erkom's .. although I can't say I have any first-hand experience.

All that said, I don't think you're gonna find a better solution than a dude like Gary personally working with you.

Almost all the OG VW shop people are retired at this point.... places like BRU have closed down. Thankfully most of those shop owners purchased their shop locations and now are able to sell the spaces for millions of dollars and have a proper retirement.

For transmissions --

TransWorks is a family business and they really know their stuff.
They'd be my first pick for a VW tranny builder.... and they're very local.

that said, I have 2 Rancho transmissions.. one I inherited and the other I picked up because I won the Buses by the Bridge raffle Rancho gift certificate. They are busy as hell but good people and know what they are doing. They also are a rep for Guards transaxle and can fit that killer Bus specific quaife-style diff... if you are looking to pick up some more traction on questionable roads in baja.

I've heard lots of good things about Benco, too.. but no personal experience at all.
Squareback619
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Thanks fort he Reply. Will look into the shops you recommended!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

All that said, I don't think you're gonna find a better solution than a dude like Gary personally working with you.

Squareback619 - See above...don't go to a shop, go to a fine person like Gary. You don't want to drive to Escondido or North County. Gary is much closer to you.

Just contact Aeromech.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
metahacker wrote:

Squareback619 - See above...don't go to a shop, go to a fine person like Gary. You don't want to drive to Escondido or North County. Gary is much closer to you.

Just contact Aeromech.

One more vote for Gary, also one of the nicest guys I've met.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Gary is not a traditional shop or mechanic in the sense people are asking for the name of a shop. He helps fellow VW owners get back on the road and solve their issues honestly, but he isn't a "for hire" mechanic or shop. Many of us help fellow VW owners out because there really aren't a large number of VW shops out there any more so we have to help each other.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

I wouldn't be driving my bus without Gary. +1
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

The original inquiry was in May. Did you guys link up?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Honest and competent VW mechanic recommendations in San Diego Ca Reply with quote

Nope
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: