Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Bleeding
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Hi All!

I've been picking away at all the problems the PO left me with on our MANX.

Just replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, along with all wheel cylinders, all brake shoes and rear drums. The reason I changed the wheel cylinders was the buggy had no stopping power, and found that every single one of them had a frozen piston.

About 2 years ago I changed the Single Master cylinder to a Dual Master cylinder.

The problem I have now is that I cannot get any brake pedal to come back.

I started with a vacuum bleeder at the furthest wheel, doing them all, one by one, over and over. Still no pedal.

I tried the old fashion way same order and still no pedal. I'm very careful watching the level in the reservoir too.

What am I doing wrong?? Has the Master cylinder failed??

Please help!

Madmax26
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

My bro had empi calipers he had to remove from car and bleed bc the bleeder isnt on the top so air gets trapped.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

mark.konney@alliedprintin wrote:
... changed the Single Master cylinder to a Dual Master cylinder... started with a vacuum bleeder at the furthest wheel ...

Forget about using vacuum bleeder, they tend to suck air into system. Also, due to the in-line arrangement of the VW dual master cylinder; you should bleed front right first, then front left, and then rear right & left after that.

If you still can't get good pedal; tighten all 8 brake shoes as much as possible, and re-do bleeding process all over again. And if this still fails, jack up front left as high as possible to raise your brake fluid reservoir up high. Then, lower right side of car (especially rear right). Open right side wheel cylinder bleeders, and wait for gravity to do its thing. And if even this fails, it's time to replace flexible brake hoses!

Oh wait, I'm assuming your brake pedal pushrod is adjusted propperly. If not, this could be the cause of your troubles. You need to make sure that when pedal is released so it comes back to floor stop plate, the pushrod will have completely released itself from master cylinder piston. Otherwise, flow from reservoir thru master to wheels will be block'd! So, check that you have the correct dimension "S" shown here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

I would tighten up all of the brake shoes so they are dragging pretty good then get a helper and try bleeding again. Don't bother with the vacuum bleeder.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

I'll start with the pedal push rod, then tighten up all brake adjusters and give it a shot again.

I'll let you know how I make out!

Thanks again
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

I had similar issues. Q-dog's procedure worked for me.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

I have never successfully bled a VW's brakes without tightening all the shoes against the drums.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

To help prime the system, I installed a tire valve stem into a spare resevoir cap and then used a bicycle hand tire pump to pressurize the system and push fluid through. You don't need much pressure, but monitor the fluid level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help!

I'll let you know how I make out!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
mark.konney@alliedprintin wrote:
... changed the Single Master cylinder to a Dual Master cylinder... started with a vacuum bleeder at the furthest wheel ...

Forget about using vacuum bleeder, they tend to suck air into system. Also, due to the in-line arrangement of the VW dual master cylinder; you should bleed...

I've vacum-bled VW T1 brakes since the Eighties, no issues. If you get air in lines during process, it's because you let fluid level in reservoir get too low.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: