Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

^^^ Beautiful pictures Alex.

It was 65 degrees here and I took the first Beetle ride of 2022.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stopping for gas, I got a Beetle story from the guy at the next pump, right on cue. He told me about the Beetle his "ex ex ex ex girlfriend" owned.

Then he started guessing the year of my car:
"1964?" "No"
"1963?" "No"
"1962?" "Go higher"
"1972?" "Go as high as possible"
"1980?" "Close enough!"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Me, of course - to the park. One person asked me about it, thought it was really cool and looked good !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Me too. Drove to the neighborhood hardware store a mile away, took the long 20-mile route to get there!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runscx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine today!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Since the warmer Spring weather arrived I've been pretty much driving my Super every day. Commuting into NYC on weekends and around town when I get home from work during the week. It's a daily driver, replacing things that have worn out along the way.
Today I took Justice my beagle up to CT. for Easter dinner at my Mom-In-Laws. He loves driving in any car and also rides in my sidecar as well. But he still does not understand what the heck is the story with the Bug.
As in "what's the point of this weird car"?
On the way home he finally relaxed and curled up on the passengers seat. I think he finally accepted the Bug into the family of vehicles.

Here he is riding in the sidecar and the Bug a few days before. You can see how confused he is in the Bug, haha:

Link
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Spring Drive on Easter Sunday with my 1973 Standard Beetle

jellonious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

finally went out for a drive Cool

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Wow, that is a beauty.

Meanwhile, I drove mine 300 miles round trip (ok, 295.x if you're picky that way) to Volksfest in Manheim, PA today. Cool show. But man sometimes you see some things and wonder how the car made it there. Take this vacuum hose setup on a '71 autostick:

I can't help but wonder WTF that does over time. Shred the vacuum advance diaphragm?? I don't know, someone help me here.

The other odd thing to me about shows are the trailer queens. Don't misunderstand me, I've nothing but respect for the effort, dedication, love and expense that goes into those. But mine's a full-on daily driver so I've never quiet figured these queens out. Guess I don't have enough $$ to understand. There was a beautiful black oval at the show, this thing looked like it had just rolled onto the show room floor for sale in 50-something, from the snowflake tail light lenses to the bias ply tires. The car is local and the owner drove it to the show. Then around 11 am there was a brief drizzle - this is spring in the mid-atlantic after all - and the guy was not happy. Car had never been wet. All I could do was say...man, a little water, just wipe it dry. He had a complete car beauty parlor kit w/him, so what's the big deal? Me, I got in my '73 Super a bit later and put-puttted away, after quick swish of my fully functional wipers. Smile

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

The 77 is running quite well these days. I drive it at least once a week to work. I use it a lot at night to drive to the gym, since I need to hold my space on the street in front of the house for my truck. Only challenge with that right now, if the headlights are on, I only get reception on 2 local radio stations. Have to figure out where some weird ground is connected to either the radio or antenna.
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Some shots from my commute to work a few weeks ago when it was still on Long Island, pictures taken at Orient Point. Views of LI Sound, Gardiner's Bay and the Coffee Pot Lighthouse (and Plum Island behind it). Not quite "today", but I don't log on daily. Very Happy

A week later, I made a trip up to a beach on LI Sound to photgraph the former site of a grist mill that was destroyed by a Nor'Easter in 1905.

And then the following weekend, I drove my '84 GMC down to swap with the Bug. I live 160 miles from where I've kept the Bug since August (work is 190 miles away) and have been using the Bug for that last leg of the commute all winter. Well now that my shop space is clearing out and the weather is getting nicer, I brought the Bug back upstate to do some long-needed seat repairs, carpeting, and a couple of floor patches, along with a new steering box.

Prime parking in front of the deli while I got breakfast.

My ship has come in! I don't doubt my work on the Bug nor it, but I do doubt everyone else on the road, so taking it down the LIE, across the Throgs Neck Bridge and across the Bronx is not something I wanted to deal with. I hopped the ferry across the Sound to CT and then drove back into upstate NY.

Fortunately, they put me straight down the center of the boat. I hate when they put me on the fixed 30* ramps!

From Bridgeport, it was a blissful 120 miles (in the rain the entire time). The Bug ran great, never hiccupped. I've put 1000 miles on my case-out rebuild before this trip, but had never run the car that far nor that long, so stress tests are always a little stressful. The wipers worked, the heat worked, the car worked. I kept my speed limited to 65 mph and the car never slowed down, required a downshift or even additional throttle along I-84, even crossing the Taconics. One of my biggest concerns was actually getting rear-ended by people driving far faster than me, so it was fortuitous that I drove in the rain as people kept their speeds down. On more than one occasion, the person behind me would pull to the left lane expecting to need to pass me as we started up long uphill slogs, only to find they never decreased their range and moved right behind me again as we'd crest the hills.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KxBsN7iMCPY?feature=share
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

^^^ Terrific pictures of the beach and ferry.

We went to the Conn. VW Association Spring Dust Off yesterday. While driving to the meet up, we crossed paths with this Dune Buggy looking for directions. The body is one of the 100 units produced by Meyers Manx in 2000. And the pan is a mid 60's Beetle.

My Father spent his career working on the Newport Naval Base. His '56 Beetle had this type of gate sticker on the bumper of course. This really took me back:

A VERY patina and original '54 in strato blue:

A cool front suspension:

Nice Sun reflections:

Samba members Rome and Muzzco were at the meet up, beautiful weather, it was a great time.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Spring drive with my 1984 velvet red Mexican
olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove my 74 Love bug today, and had a little inadvertent adventure after locking my keys in the car getting Chinese food, lucky I hadn’t fixed the hood release cable yet, and I could open the hood, and my tools were in there. Got the speedometer out in about 3 minutes to grab my keys from the ignition
71InvaderGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Who ya gonna call? Reply with quote

olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine

to work today, 120 miles round trip. No issues. I put one of those temperature warning dipstick sensors in the car before I left. Never flickered on. I wanted to get that on the car as we approach summer temperatures. Cooled off a lot in the evening, had to turn on the heat on the way home.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Beautiful! You should never have over heating issues if all the tin, engine bay seals and thermostat are in place and have a good tune up.,

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine around the block... first time it's been on the road in 14 years! 😁

Link
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

plextor wrote:

Nice! But why so long? And why just around the block?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
plextor wrote:

Nice! But why so long? And why just around the block?

Father in law had it in his garage for that long sitting. I had to fix all the problems from that. It's not inspected or registered yet, but hopefully next week! Tires are a bit dicey right now, too.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove to a Cars & Coffee today. I met The Samba's Beetlenut. Having read through his build post, it was great to see the car and how it came back from a major accident.

And I can't just pass by a Dune Buggy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
Jump to:
Page 91 of 108

Jump to: