Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55*
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Alrighty I'm offcially back in the FI camp. Just picked up a 75 westy with a 2.0 swapped in the back full fuel injection hooked up. Its a frankenstine of an engine but all done professionally and seems to be in the right order. Done by the previous owner and sold to me in her current config. Came from south TX Shes a great van overall.

Except Shocked When starting I have to crack the pedal. Just a touch. Then I let her warm up a few min and if the outside air temp is warm. She takes off flawlessly. Runs for hours with no issues. But When its cold out, Like early morning (Yesterday to be exact) even after letting her warm up for 15 min in the driveway she will just spudder and die with any load or more then 1/4 pedal with no load.

I came back from work. Air temp was about 76. she started right up and we cruised for about two hours. its like two different vans!!! Ive read alot about cylinder head temp sensors and cold start valves but none quite fit what im going through. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Have you done a smoke test on it?, much of what you describe could be caused by vacuum leaks.
Testing the TS2 ohms wouldn't be wasted time either.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have you done a smoke test on it?, much of what you describe could be caused by vacuum leaks.
Testing the TS2 ohms wouldn't be wasted time either.

I was also thinking about these. A cracked S-boot could cause it. So could a bad TS-1 in the AFM but honestly I don't think they are that specific as to temps. Another issue is it may not be temperature related at all. If it is temperature rated one would think a couple cans of freeze spray would find the bad component. A condenser could act up if it expands a little, and so could a wire connection. And if humidity was different with those temperatures, it could also be ignition or plug wire related.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Do a correct compression test,

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:

My worst fear. but you never know. The engine was rebuilt 7,000 miles ago by a reputable aircooled shop. Again by the previous owner. But that certainly doesnt rule out anything. just feeding more info into the thread.

I'll go for one more ride tonight and then start pulling it apart.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

I don't think lack of compression is at fault here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

I agree, it's either way too lean, or a component is breaking down when it gets cold.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

I've personally dealt with this issue caused by both of the above (vacuum leak and TS2 issue) as well as bad electrical connections in and around the distributor (including the cap and rotor.)
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

BusKid231 wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

My worst fear. but you never know. The engine was rebuilt 7,000 miles ago by a reputable aircooled shop. Again by the previous owner. But that certainly doesnt rule out anything. just feeding more info into the thread.

I'll go for one more ride tonight and then start pulling it apart.

It’s an easy check, and it’s free. I’ve seen it enough that low compression makes it necessary to “crack the pedal” to get it running under the best circumstances. On any car. Low compression on start makes the chamber pool fuel. It’s not the death of the engine by any means. Could need a thicker oil.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Certainly he has some things to check out. Compression is not temperature sensitive like it works at one temp but not 20 F degrees warmer. It is always worth checking on a tune up. So are a valve adjustments.

What is temperature sensitive is the air to fuel ratio. In the morning when it is dry and cool, the air is denser. In the afternoon the air is warmer and less dense. You need a little more fuel when the air is denser so if an engine was right on the edge of too lean, it could fall over in the denser air as it would run leaner.

Or if the condenser has failed, it could be temperature sensitive
Or if there is a bad connection with some corrosion or ground the temperature change
Or it could be random and just showed up that way so he thinks it is temperature sensitive.
Most of the AFM's have a temperature sensor in them. The TS1. Could that cause it?

He can also get a couple cans of freeze spray and see if hitting any of the components might cause it to fall over.
Heck it could even be a fuel pump that is ready to fail, that needs a little extra temperature to free itself to spin.
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Ok. Went though the vaccum lines and found two tiny leaks both sealed up with some quick gummy tape until I get to the auto store. S- boot was OK. No difference to start up and i didnt let it warm up to avoid working over a hot exhaust. Interestingly I found a II Temp sensor in the cook draw under the stove. It has an extension on it like the Vanagons. I attempted to track down the one that should be installed on cyl 3. No luck but it had gotten dark and I had started to pack up for the night. It very well could be relocated somewhere else on the engine. More digging tonight so long as the rain holds off. She slowly reveals her secrets to me as the nights go on.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

You can eliminate the TSII by grounding the wire that goes from it to the engine computer.

A smoke test on a cool day would be interesting-I kinda like the idea of there is a component with a leak or crack that opens just enough to cause an issue with the cool temps, and then in warmer temps things expand just enough to close that crack enough to let the engine run.

Will it run ok if you can manage to get it started at cool temps and idle long enough to warm the engine up?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Will it run ok if you can manage to get it started at cool temps and idle long enough to warm the engine up?

Thats the strange part. It will not. I let it idle for 15min the other morning. struggled to pull out of my driveway. pulled over and held the pedal at about 1200 rpm for another 10 min and it still acted the same. The min i gave it more throttle it would fall on its face and conch out. then restart and idle fine. limped it back in reverse to my driveway and parked it. Same day came back from work. jumped in. idled for a few min. took off and did a two hour drive flawlessly. Tons of power compared to my 74 1700.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

I'm curious about fuel pump power, a test light stuffed into terminal # 88d on the double relay plug would tell us if something like the AFM contacts aren't closing when cool, or the DR or it's plugs have issues.

Are you sure the AFM plug is fully seated in the unit?

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

I have seen intermittent fuel pumps in my life time. With low fuel pressure the engine might idle but fall over when it needs fuel. Likewise a bad double relay might do something goofy where the fuel pump gets voltage while starting but loses it if the double relay is acting weird. We've seen a lot of condenser failures lately and they can be goofy too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

So you see where I'm going, it's like when you leave the AFM unplugged, it'll start and idle, but quits when you step on the gas.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
So you see where I'm going, it's like when you leave the AFM unplugged, it'll start and idle, but quits when you step on the gas.

yes and I agree. The fuel pump gets voltage from the starting process that changes during the running process. Relays can act weird when they start to fail but so can connections that have corrosion in them.
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

update. replaced fuel pump with new bosch. no change. back to chasing sensors and grounds!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

to refresh the history. Have you:

done a smoke test?

sniffed the mixture to see where it is?
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
to refresh the history. Have you:

done a smoke test?

sniffed the mixture to see where it is?

No smoke test yet. did find 2 vac leaks. replaced line.

exhaust is def rich...

same exact thing yesterday. 50* morning couldnt make it out the driveway after warming up for 20min . came back after work 75* started up and took off for a beautiful 30min cruise.

Atleast shes happy half the time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: