Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evap issues at high altitude
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highaltitude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

I have spent a good part of the last two days researching this topic, and yet I am still at a loss. I just purchased a 2000 Eurovan camper and it is having gas tank pressure, gurgling (gas in evap lines). I live at 9000’ so any altitude issue is going to be an issue.
I dropped the charcoal canister expecting to find it was clogged, but when I blew on it there was no resistance.
Question one: there is no vent from the canister directly to the atmosphere correct? Vapor can only be sucked through the purge valve to the engine?

I noticed the fuel line had a little easy to separate spot so I opened it up and dumped out some gas accompanied with gurgles.

The previous owner had taken the van to the shop for this issue and they had dropped the tank, checked the valves, and blown out / dried the charcoal canister (at that time it was wet with gas)
They would have replaced it but it is NLA.
They sent him on his way with the recommendation that he not fill his tank past 3/4
Has anyone successfully troubleshot this issue and come out the other side with a gas tank that vents properly at altitude? TIA
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Probably need to put a different thermostat in it, for your coolant. Needs to open much later than it is. Probably also need to run 20/50 oil. And iridium plugs.
The catalytic converter needs to get hot and clean out once in awhile too.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Highaltitude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply - I need a little help understanding what you mean. How is the coolant and thermostat affecting the gas tank pressure? Are you giving me general high altitude recommendations aside fro the evap issues?
Thanks
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Highaltitude wrote:
I appreciate the reply - I need a little help understanding what you mean. How is the coolant and thermostat affecting the gas tank pressure? Are you giving me general high altitude recommendations aside fro the evap issues?
Thanks

I'm thinking the previous poster replied to the wrong post, or the forum hiccuped and put this here, as this advice is totally nonsensical for your situation.

I'd check that the purge valve actually opens when triggered for starters, and that the ECU can operate it. There should be an "output test" that triggers the evap solenoid. This problem seems most likely, as others have reported it being the problem for the symptoms you report (gurgling, pressure, etc.).

Failing that, I'd inspect and test every component individually. Look for stuck one way valves, collapsed hoses, leaks, etc.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Highaltitude wrote:
Thanks

I’m not writing a Bentley Manual today, nor does it even cover this level of technical diagnostics. You bought the van from low lands right?
The answer will confirm my suspicions, being that you did.
I post more if we proceed further down this path. It’s up to you, who you want to listen to.
If you didn’t and it’s always been up there, it’s just reaching a new spot in its service history. My first post still stands either way. There are ways to test the options fairly cheaply by yourself. But again, I’m not arguing with other members.

What you will need to provide is work history, as in paper documents if you got any in the sale.
And your comfort level in doing some tests.

You need to tell thesamba everything you know about your van, you cannot give too much information. Trust me.

Choose 2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Highaltitude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Your manner is something, VWfixer, like a cranky wizard or something. Your divination is not without it’s merits either, this van did come from the lowlands.
Still, I sense that you are willing to help.
I do have service records and am able to perform simple diagnostic procedures, I have a multimeter, although I do not have an OBD-2 reader.
This link has a video from the mechanic who had it apart before:
https://x8con.xtime.com/asrportal-inspect2/?&w...mQsB1CfRXX

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Looks like the van had a catastrophic overheating event. I don’t think the ecm system is working correctly. Maybe just overlooked details by the poster.
I consider this matter closed and will not be adding additional advice.

Choose 2

TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
Looks like the van had a catastrophic overheating event. I don’t think the ecm system is working correctly. Maybe just overlooked details by the poster.

Where are you seeing evidence of a catastrophic overheating event? The broken fan won't, of itself cause overheating, unless it shakes so hard and ejects pieces and pierces the radiator, or the lack of airflow causes overheating, but that would take quite a while, and there's not evidence that the OP ran it like this for an extended period.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

This thread is funny.

Back to the OP, check out the following thread.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/passenger-cars-...ister.html

Sounds like vent is blocked somehow.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

Troll
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

I have followed the gas tank vent issue with much interest. My EVC has trouble filling. The linked thread was the first time I have read of a clogged paper filter. What is also interesting is that my filling trouble seems to come and go. Maybe my vent valve is closed for evap leak testing longer than it should.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
I have followed the gas tank vent issue with much interest. My EVC has trouble filling. The linked thread was the first time I have read of a clogged paper filter. What is also interesting is that my filling trouble seems to come and go. Maybe my vent valve is closed for evap leak testing longer than it should.

If you've got '01-03 there is no paper filter in the system. I took mine apart in the hope of a quick fix, but no luck. Running a wire (or hedge trimmer line in my case) through all the yards of tubing did help a little bit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764115&highlight=charcoal
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Evap issues at high altitude Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

Where are you seeing evidence of a catastrophic overheating event? The broken fan won't, of itself cause overheating, unless it shakes so hard and ejects pieces and pierces the radiator, or the lack of airflow causes overheating, but that would take quite a while, and there's not evidence that the OP ran it like this for an extended period.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769388&highlight=

If I’ve learned anything on car website’s, is hobbyists confuse their passion for experience. I’d bet most of these eurovans are eating themselves from poor maintenance. VW and Honda both thought they should turn their production cars into unserviceable, it’s been a trend in the entire industry for awhile now. First it bites the customer in the but, then it bites the manufacturer. My diagnostic check list is quite long. Of course it’s proprietary information, my labor rate is $500 an hour. I take PayPal and can teach anyone, it’s not my responsibility if they can’t retain the information. I’ve provided many solutions over the years and I think one or two actually thanked me for my time. I’ve run out of altruistic fluid for this business.

Choose 2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: