Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wideband Results
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

stop adjusting your pump to cover up another problem.

You are lean on main jets

read what I wrote. Drive it without using the pump jet, very slow on the pedal so it does not squirt at all. IT is only for when you stab the gas to compensate for all the air coming into the engine. thats it.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

read what I wrote. Drive it without using the pump jet, very slow on the pedal so it does not squirt at all. IT is only for when you stab the gas to compensate for all the air coming into the engine. thats it.

I know not to mess with it until the end, just planning.
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

When I'm setting up a pair of idf's I adjust the accel nut all the way to the end so no matter how I drive there will be minimal to no squirt. Once all the jetting is correct you won't need much accel at all.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

VdanielW wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:

When I'm setting up a pair of idf's I adjust the accel nut all the way to the end so no matter how I drive there will be minimal to no squirt. Once all the jetting is correct you won't need much accel at all.

Yes, I will do this.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Anyone use a Autometer a/f gauge? Thinking about buying one. Just over $200 on Amazon with no bad reviews. AEM gets trashed on Amazon.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Autometer owns innovate and they have been doing afr and data logging for a while. When I send in my Lm2 it goes to Autometer and comes back in one of their boxes. Good service.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Anyone use a Autometer a/f gauge? Thinking about buying one. Just over $200 on Amazon with no bad reviews. AEM gets trashed on Amazon.
Got to love Amazon reviews - "Fantastic product, well packaged and fast delivery (haven't had a chance to try it yet)" Laughing
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Hey guys,

After reading through all of this over eons, I think things may have just fully "clicked". Please correct me if I misspeak - the air corrector jets control the timing of when the main circuit starts to add fuel in the overall delivery as the carbs are transitioning from idle to main, through the Progression circuit. Is that correct?

In reading Johns (AC) posts over the years (and way early on in this one), I recall him saying to start with the largest jet you have then increase air corrector jet size until transition is smooth, then down jet the mains until you get a good reading or, for those who don't have an AF meter, lean pop/miss then upjet until you get good plug readings and CHTs.

Is that about right from a rough perspective? If so, it becomes completely logical to me why different weight vehicles with similar setups would need to have completely different jetting - this I already knew based on the basics but just solidifies it since mains would have to come in a little earlier to move a heavier vehicle.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.

Last edited by MikeyM73 on Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Hey guys,

After reading through all of this over eons, I think things may have just fully "clicked". Please correct me if I misspeak - the air corrector jets control the timing of when the main circuit starts to add fuel in the overall delivery as the carbs are transitioning from idle to main, through the Progression circuit. Is that correct?

In reading Johns (AC) posts over the years (and way early on in this one), I recall him saying to start with the largest jet you have then increase air corrector jet size until transition is smooth, then down jet the mains until you get a good reading or, for those who don't have an AF meter, lean pop/miss then upjet until you get good plug readings and CHTs.

Is that about right from a rough perspective? If so, it becomes completely logical to me why different weight vehicles with similar setups would need to have completely different jetting - this I already knew based on the basics but just solidifies it.

Thanks,
Mikey

Yes, I'd say that sounds about right.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Man, that's awesome. Thanks very much.

For the longest time i, too, like the OP have been chasing a very small flat spot through the progression circuit. Clatter's offered to help but I haven't been able to make it down to his place yet. I've gone through many variations of idle and main jets, air correctors from 170 all the way to 210s and was, to be honest, a bit concerned to go any more just due to leaning out the mains. But every time I've gone up on AC jets, it gets better and better.

I'm currently running 135 mains, 210 airs with 28 vents, 52 idles ( I think I need to go to 50s or a hair below), timing is 10* @ idle, 28 all in with a Pertronix FF3. Plug readings look good so far, CHTs are in check, vacuum advance is capped and I'm hard-set to 28* full mechanical because I can't pull much ported vacuum with this C25. Still, performance and drivability are very good, mileage is about 18-22ish on the highway depending on driving conditions. I bet if I go with 215 or 220 airs that would get me just about perfect. If it leans out those 135s a hair on the freeway, I bet I'd probably get a bit better mileage and, according to what I've read here, cooler temps. We'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again, great thread.

Mikey.
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I'm finding that on E85 it's a bit tricky. I went down on air to bring the mains in sooner. I had 210, 205, 200's and always had issues cruising on the freeway. was always 9 afr.

I went to 180 airs and it is bringing in the mains sooner, I now run a 205 main with 180 airs. It has never ran better.

The afr is closer to 11 and for me that's good.I have little to no port velocity at low Rpm's

2783cc on E85 (30 to 35% more fuel, but its 106 octane)
51.5 Ida's
78 idles with 110 holders
205 mains
180 airs
70 pump jets
5.0 aux vents
48 vents
13.4 to 1

Idle at 30 degree then at 1300 drops to 18 to start the curve up to 31 total.(MSD Power grid)
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Dann dude, your motor is a FAR cry from mine! On the WAY more badass side. Would love to have something like that in my bus detuned a bit for the weight factor but still. But same principal on the carbs, right? Where are you finding the 1/2 size jets? I normally go through Pierce Manifolds out of Gilroy CA and they only list the full steps.

Thanks,
Mikey
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I ream them and use pin gauges to make sure they are all the same.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Ahh.. I have none of that but who knows.. maybe in time Smile.

Thanks,
Mikey
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I have a question about tuning for lean cruise. I currently have only a CB Magnaspark II mechanical advance distributor. I realize this will limit me to around 13:1 and no benefit to MPG from tuning for lean cruise. My idles are 47.5.

If I were to lock out my distributor and add the CB Black Box which includes manifold vacuum advance, would I run leaner at cruise in progression simply due to the additional advance, or would I have to jet further lean on the idle jet?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

You would almost certainly need to back down the idle jet sizing a tad. I tried that route, EXACTLY like you describe. I had a Magnaspark without a black box, with 12.5:1 or 13:1 jetting everywhere. I got a black box, and played with a combination of idle jet sizing, float height, and air corrector jet sizing to get the transition into and out of lean cruise just how I wanted it. Both worked, but I settled back on centrifugal distributor and "standard" jetting since it's an off-road car.

I also did the exact same experiment with my Mexican EFI engine running MicroSquirt. Same results, just easier because you type your jetting into a spreadsheet and press 'SEND' with the engine still running. Very Happy Lean cruise really can be a nice cool burn with the timing right and essentially as little fuel as will maintain combustion. Good luck!
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
I have a question about tuning for lean cruise. I currently have only a CB Magnaspark II mechanical advance distributor. I realize this will limit me to around 13:1 and no benefit to MPG from tuning for lean cruise. My idles are 47.5.

If I were to lock out my distributor and add the CB Black Box which includes manifold vacuum advance, would I run leaner at cruise in progression simply due to the additional advance, or would I have to jet further lean on the idle jet?

Just out of curiosity, what are your current AFR numbers with no vac advance on those 47.5 idles?

I'm getting ready to order idle jets for the timing map tuning I want to do on mine with the Daytona TCS-1, and since our engines are close cousins (kissin' cousins? Laughing ) and if you are already close with 47.5 I may order up some 45 idles to try too.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
boxer74 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are your current AFR numbers with no vac advance on those 47.5 idles?

I'm getting ready to order idle jets for the timing map tuning I want to do on mine with the Daytona TCS-1, and since our engines are close cousins (kissin' cousins? Laughing ) and if you are already close with 47.5 I may order up some 45 idles to try too.

I haven't actually done a run around with the 47.5's yet. Need to re-install carbs. But with 50's, I was in the mid 11's for AFR at lean cruising, so too rich. I also have a set of 45's in case they are necessary, but I'm thinking 47.5's will be the sweet spot. At least for mechanical advance.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
1776, CB 2239
Timing 9 deg idle at 850rpm, 28 deg all in at 3200rpm
50 idles (these are slightly rich - waiting on 47s)
120 mains (slightly lean - waiting on 122s)
200 airs
F11s
28 vents
0 bypass
50 pumps
2.5 psi fuel pressure
12mm float height to gasket

Do you adjust accelerator pump for AFR or just so you don't feel a hesitation and not worry about a momentary lean reading as long as it can't be felt?

So I put in the 47 idles, and AFR with very light throttle is still high 11s to low 12s. I obtained this with pump rod nut backed out fully and with main stacks removed.

Got me thinking maybe 45 idles are necessary?

I decided to leave the 47s in and see what happened during transition.

Following the recommendations earlier in this thread I put in my largest main jets and smallest air jets to create a lean hole at transition followed by very rich as the mains kick in.

The smallest airs I have are 175 and largest mains are 135.

In spite of this, I still did notice the lean hole. The next size airs I have are 200's. I put those in and the hole seemed to disappear so I moved on to the mains.

I tried lowering mains until I was getting 12.8:1 at WOT with 115s. This seemed to be the right spot for the mains, however I am still noticing some hesitation at transition (lean hole).

Going higher than 200 airs doesn't seem consistent with others with milder engines such as mine (details above).

Should I next try raising float height to 11mm from gasket?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:

Should I next try raising float height to 11mm from gasket?

yes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Page 113 of 121

Jump to: