Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC kits?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrmcc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject: AC kits? Reply with quote

I recently inherited a 78 bus, lots of memories in this vehicle Smile
I live in Houston, TX and considering adding AC. Does anyone have experience with any of the kits currently available? Do they work effectively? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

Gilmore is the only way to go unless you restore an older system off a relic. It will involve some cutting of sheet metal in the engine bay and some other mods. I have always avoided one because VW engines seem to require occasional removal - even back in the day when they were new they didn't last 200,000 miles like modern cars do. But some folks here have added them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

Howdy, I'm in San Antonio and don't have AC...although my Bus used to have it but was missing the compressor and all the rest was old and crusty so I pulled it all out.

A new modern system would be nice, and as an alternative I've been considering getting one of these: https://www.icybreeze.com/

That way I can keep myself and my beverages cool! Plus no drag on the engine with a compressor etc.

I always have a cooler at the cruises and shows anyway, may as well put it to work!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Howdy, I'm in San Antonio and don't have AC...although my Bus used to have it but was missing the compressor and all the rest was old and crusty so I pulled it all out.

A new modern system would be nice, and as an alternative I've been considering getting one of these: https://www.icybreeze.com/

That way I can keep myself and my beverages cool! Plus no drag on the engine with a compressor etc.

I always have a cooler at the cruises and shows anyway, may as well put it to work!
if you don't mind adding ice and draining the water all the time. Ice can get expensive when traveling too.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

The swamp coolers have been discussed ad nauseum and a new thread will be met with a shovel over the head
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The swamp coolers have been discussed ad nauseum and a new thread will be met with a shovel over the head

I thought you were coming to California where we do all sorts of crazy things like evaporation coolers. I am putting my helmet on now. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I thought you were coming to California where we do all sorts of crazy things like evaporation coolers. I am putting my helmet on now. Smile

I’m too old to lift a shovel over my head but my intern will be over. If you don’t give her at least a 6/10 review she will cry
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Gilmore is the only way to go

no sir

ICE makes the same dealer unit VW did:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659687&highlight=adding

http://www.iceautoair.com/index-1VWBus.html

my 0.02....

any under dash unit will give you frostbite on your knees and be mediocre at best for anyone past the front passenger compartment.

personally, if i were going to add a/c i would do it vanagon style in the rear and blow forward. it would be more of a 'central air' feel

if you want cold air on your face and your nuts, the under dash unit won't do it. it literally blows on your knees

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

Is ICE still in business? I bought a unit from them for a Nissan many years ago (1983) and it was well designed. They were in San Diego CA at the time.

SK
chrmcc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

What about something like this: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/professional/truck-s...000-262673
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

chrmcc wrote:
What about something like this: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/professional/truck-s...000-262673

Thats actually pretty damn awesome. I want AC but I certainly dont want to cut a hole in my roof for it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
chrmcc wrote:

Thats actually pretty damn awesome. I want AC but I certainly dont want to cut a hole in my roof for it.

Only uses 19 amps of energy in eco mode – power consumption ranges between 10 amps to 58 amps.

https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/store/dometic-coolair-2000-rtx-12-volt-air-conditioner/
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

I bought the system from Gilmore and it installed really easy, disclaimer my engine was out when I installed compressor. Some of the directions need a little revising but Frank at Gilmore was really helpful with answering questions as I went. I haven't charged it up yet but will be as soon as I am complete with my restoration.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

All depends on what you're after. I just finished dry fitting the Vintage Air Gen II Super up front and have plans to install their Slimline unit in the headbanger space in the back.

I had to remove part of the fresh air duct, but maintained fresh air flap functionality on both sides which was a hard requirement going into the mod. I'll let you know in a few months how it works, but having a dual system should take care of my heating/cooling/defrosting needs and pump out OEM-level BTUs to boot.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: AC kits? Reply with quote

To the OP, I can tell you from experience that this setup will cool your whole bus in TX heat. It puts the cold air exactly where you need it. Don’t know of any kits that use an overhead setup like this, so you’d be in DIY territory to refurbish a used one

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: