Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55*
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

and what did the TSII test reveal?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

My Bus was cold blooded until I inspected the CSV aka 5th injector, that injects just a squirt of fuel in the intake plenum on cold startup.

It was completely plugged.

Luckily I had a newer replacement in my parts inventory, swapped it in with a new cork gasket and it cold starts right up when turning the key.

Also, listen to what Busdaddy and SGKent are telling you...do the smoke test...I didn't think my S boot was bad until I did the test and it ended up being cracked all over and it was hard to see.

Also all of the lines off the S boot were cracked and leaking (D, E, F, H). Replaced all of them and the Bus starts and runs great now.

That 90 degree rubber connector and hose on the other side (at the end of hose F and G) that goes to the idle control valve is probably cracked or broken, check that too.

Check or just replace (it's cheap) all the rubber/cloth vac lines.

Taken from Ratwell's site for reference:

https://ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
BusKid231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, quick update and contrary to my other findings. it was warm this morning. about 81* She normally runs fine at these temps but today fell into the same cycle. spuddering and knocking out past 1/4 pedal. i will also note its very humid today. also found the II Temp Sensor. it also has a vanagon extension on it like the one in the cook drawer. looks to be newer. me thinks the previous owner was chasing this issue.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FI wont run when outside air temp is below 55* Reply with quote

original TSII went rare a few years ago. Some that were sold had the ife expectancy of a fruit fly. Try putting a jumper between it and ground when it runs poorly to see if there is a change. It can also be a bad AFM. You may want to look for a spare known good one or arrange to borrow / swap one. I don't remember if you did a smoke test but if you haven't do one when it is acting up to see if any vacuum leaks appear. Last, make sure it is properly adjusted when cold so that you can compare sniff results when it is acting up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: