Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost paint code tag, whats my color??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1966KILLERVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Lost paint code tag, whats my color?? Reply with quote

HELP! I just bought a 69 Type 1 convertable with NO data tag, no paint, no interior ID numbers to work with. No little plate behind spare or near bonet/ hood lock. Nothing and the car has been painted three times. How do I find my paint color with out spending $60 to these guys in Germany below?? Also this is my second 69 convertable with low back seats and I keep hearing they never came with low back seats. Whats the deal?

I do have VIN and engine #s.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/shop/en_us/volkswagen-data-sheet.html
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lost paint code tag, whats my color?? Reply with quote

Strip it down to original paint with Easy Off oven cleaner.
Sticky: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint. Second from the top on this page.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost paint code tag, whats my color?? Reply with quote

Check under the rear seats or behind the firewall insulation in the engine compartment. Sometimes these areas don't get painted in a repaint. You may be lucky and there is enough original paint to check against the original colors available for your year.

Don't know about the seats. They might have been cut down or just replaced with older lowbacks if a previous owner just didn't like the headrests.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: