Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

been trying to get some action happening with this instrument cluster, NO lights at all come on, oil, charge etc..

weird thing is EVERY single connection has 12vpos on them, even the large metal backing cover which i think isnt right.

anybody know what might be goin on ?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Is this a right hand drive bus? In the pic, it also looks like the cluster is upside-down which is throwing me all off!

Anyway, it doesn't look like it is grounded. There are two tabs (bottom of cluster, top in pic), one of which should be used to provide ground to the main structure of the back plate. The other piggy-backs ground to something else-probably the light for the heater controls.

The two smaller backing plates (left side in pic, each has two bulbs) should have +12v power to them, and ground being provided by the wire allows the light to turn on (exception being the alternator light, it turns off when it has +12v on both sides of the bulb). Make sure that one of the black wire tabs isn't touching the main backing plate.

Then I bet when you ground the large backing plate, most of your lights will work!

If the lights in the two smaller plates aren't working, then somehow +12v isn't getting to them; check the black wire that joins them together.

Unless something crazy happened, I can't imagine that every single bulb has burned out, but it is worth checking them to rule out.

As far as getting +12v at every single connection, the only way that would happen that I can think of is either if someone really messed up the wiring, or you've got some setting goofed up on your multimeter or you're using it incorrectly. (Is the memory button pushed? Occasionally I'll do that and throw myself off.) Perhaps you're seeing +12v going through the bulb filaments to the ungrounded plate.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

I don't see a ground (solid brown) wire either.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

I vote missing groud wire also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

The metal housing having voltage showing on it would be a sure sign of a bad or missing ground. This should not affect the oil pressure light and possible others, so you may have more than one thing wrong.
turbo1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Is this a right hand drive bus? In the pic, it also looks like the cluster is upside-down which is throwing me all off!

Anyway, it doesn't look like it is grounded. There are two tabs (bottom of cluster, top in pic), one of which should be used to provide ground to the main structure of the back plate. The other piggy-backs ground to something else-probably the light for the heater controls.

The two smaller backing plates (left side in pic, each has two bulbs) should have +12v power to them, and ground being provided by the wire allows the light to turn on (exception being the alternator light, it turns off when it has +12v on both sides of the bulb). Make sure that one of the black wire tabs isn't touching the main backing plate.

Then I bet when you ground the large backing plate, most of your lights will work!

If the lights in the two smaller plates aren't working, then somehow +12v isn't getting to them; check the black wire that joins them together.

Unless something crazy happened, I can't imagine that every single bulb has burned out, but it is worth checking them to rule out.

As far as getting +12v at every single connection, the only way that would happen that I can think of is either if someone really messed up the wiring, or you've got some setting goofed up on your multimeter or you're using it incorrectly. (Is the memory button pushed? Occasionally I'll do that and throw myself off.) Perhaps you're seeing +12v going through the bulb filaments to the ungrounded plate.

yes its right hand drive. australian.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

IIRC, the instrument panel is the same orientation, left or right drive.

Definitely missing the ground wire, but this won't affect gen light, oil light, or turn indicators, as these are mounted on sub-panels and supplied battery power from the ignition switch (black wire).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Are you getting 12 volts when grounding the meter to the cluster?
turbo1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Are you getting 12 volts when grounding the meter to the cluster?

starting to get some where, found a globe with a couple meg of resistance , a faulty light socket as well. will update when i work out more.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

turbo1600 wrote:
yes its right hand drive. australian.

In common with we British, the Australians, Kiwis (i.e. New Zealanders), South Africans and Rhodesians etc, drive on the correct side of the road (i.e. the left hand side).

telford dorr wrote:
IIRC, the instrument panel is the same orientation, left or right drive.

If you closely examine the RHD and LHD 1968~79 VW Type 2 instrument panels, I think you will find that they are different. It's not simply a case of turning them up-side-down to orientate the heater & ventilation control-levers so they are close to the centrally-mounted hand-brake lever; noting the the depth of the oval instrument-housing at the top & bottom are different!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Instrument wiring gets rattled around, bulbs die, wires fall off., even when we’ll sorted. All kinds of strange and random things happen.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe weird problem with instrument cluster, ?1973 kombi bay Reply with quote

Quote:
If you closely examine the RHD and LHD 1968~79 VW Type 2 instrument panels, I think you will find that they are different. It's not simply a case of turning them up-side-down to orientate the heater & ventilation control-levers so they are close to the centrally-mounted hand-brake lever; noting the the depth of the oval instrument-housing at the top & bottom are different!

You are correct. Poor word choice on my part. I was thinking of the gauge / speedometer subassembly (the metal plate), not the whole panel. Sorry...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: