Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

Im in the middle of my build now and Im looking for some good brains to pick on this old dog... how can I identify my transmission (no ID tag)? DZ19 012 does this mean anything? Found it stamped on the bottom of tran.

Also looking for a good source for injectors thats not 120 days out/used parts

PLEASE HELP
if anyone has any good advice on things to look out for or trick tips on this 1.9na 1y bring it on, Im in pretty deep
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

Does your 1Y have MEXICO under behind the exhaust manifold?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

It sounds like you found the trans code. DZ is a stock '82 4-speed. Ratios are:

1st: 3.78
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.26
4th: 0.85
R+P: 5.86

IMO, that is about the least desirable Vanagon trans for anything other than the 1.6 non-turbo motor.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

steven tyson wrote:

Also looking for a good source for injectors thats not 120 days out/used parts

do you have a bosch diesel service shop nearby? maybe your current set can be rebuilt

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

What Waldo said .....

And,

19 012 = January 19, 1982 build date (19/01/82)

Basically, the "guts" of any 1976 thru 83 Air-cool transmission will work inside the Diesel Transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

The 1.9 were made in Mexico.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

thank you i did find the mexico stamp...
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
What Waldo said .....

And,

19 012 = January 19, 1982 build date (19/01/82)

Basically, the "guts" of any 1976 thru 83 Air-cool transmission will work inside the Diesel Transmission.

So is it smart to upgrade my 1.6 trans because im building a 1.9na i dont want to hurt my new build in any way if i can help myself.... also any idea on top speed of a perfectly running 1.9na
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
It sounds like you found the trans code. DZ is a stock '82 4-speed. Ratios are:

1st: 3.78
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.26
4th: 0.85
R+P: 5.86

IMO, that is about the least desirable Vanagon trans for anything other than the 1.6 non-turbo motor.

ok so i should be looking to replace this as soon as i can? im guessing... whats the best fit for my 1.9na 1y....
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

only got to drive my van 3 times before being towed home after digging around i found it had a wrong injection pump installed by the previous owner... yea so now im going all the way without a choice .... lost the head when the pistons hit valves

how can i be 100% sure im a 1Y is their any other thing to look for besides the piston pin size? ive notice so many different names of vw i never new existed
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

steven tyson wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

only got to drive my van 3 times before being towed home after digging around i found it had a wrong injection pump installed by the previous owner... yea so now im going all the way without a choice .... lost the head when the pistons hit valves

how can i be 100% sure im a 1Y is their any other thing to look for besides the piston pin size? ive notice so many different names of vw i never new existed

Doesn't really matter the engine code unless you start fixing internals.
The engine code is stamped on it, unless somebody grinded it down.
Anytime your order parts you gotta double check valve sizes, stem sizes (7 or 8mm) etc...

The injection pump wouldn't have broken the engine unless the pulley was offset or something blatantly wrong like using 1.6 brackets, bodging the timing cover and backing plate etc... I had to fix such a terrible 1.9D conversion in a Rabbit pick up a couple years ago. Done by a reputable local pro VW shop Rolling Eyes
A lot of people in Europe run the 1.9D with an original T3 1.6D pump for example, doesn't really matter much.
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
steven tyson wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

Doesn't really matter the engine code unless you start fixing internals.
The engine code is stamped on it, unless somebody grinded it down.
Anytime your order parts you gotta double check valve sizes, stem sizes (7 or 8mm) etc...

The injection pump wouldn't have broken the engine unless the pulley was offset or something blatantly wrong like using 1.6 brackets, bodging the timing cover and backing plate etc... I had to fix such a terrible 1.9D conversion in a Rabbit pick up a couple years ago. Done by a reputable local pro VW shop Rolling Eyes
A lot of people in Europe run the 1.9D with an original T3 1.6D pump for example, doesn't really matter much.

ok so i am into the internals i had my pump turned up to match 1.9 liter engine with ever glades diesel $1400 getting all new injectors soon...i have new head with valve cam ect ...0ne new rod, all new rod bearing of course...new belt and tensioner full over haul kit basically

Ive got the bottom end rolling over smooth after identifying my one bent rod now im headed toward the top...how can i check the BRACKET to be sure ive got the correct one...
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

steven tyson wrote:
lost the head when the pistons hit valves
Sounds familiar. My 1Y engine exploded after 25k miles because the camshaft was machined at the wrong angle: Read about it here.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

The injection pump bracket is cast iron and one piece on the 1.9.
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

I need real dircection from a friend I got my timing on the flywheel to cam locked in (without pistons hitting valves) I just can't seem to match the timing with the injection pump... this is a special project I took on and it requires some real expertise....it has tons of variations and is quite complicated.If anyone has the general specifications on how to properly install this pump in time please contact me ASAP thank you!

Bubba 386 338 8388

P.S. keep in mind this is a 1982 1.9D 1Y NA diesel
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

The way I know it, there is only one method for getting the timing right.

You have to undo the cam bolt, and then lock the cam, so the cam pulley can float freely during the process.

For every one turn of the cam there are two turns of the crank, so the important piece of the puzzle is the crank TDC (the cam will be at TDC if the locking tool is inserted in its end).

Remember you can't use the cam locking tool to hold the cam while you loosen the pulley (you will break the end of the cam where the locking tool is inserted).

Remember also while you are messing with the timing, things have to stay relatively static, because if the crank moves, the pistons will hit your valves. This is another reason to follow this method. You otherwise end up with the pistons bumping the valves while you struggle to get the belt on.

I usually loosen the cam bolt by sticking something through the cam sprocket holes. Usually the sprocket will then just come off, sometimes you need a puller or a rubber mallet (to tap lightly, if it doesn't pop loose use a puller).

Once you have the cam pulley loose, the rest is really easy. Lock the IP with a bolt through the locking hole, and then lock the cam using the cam locking tool (or a piece of metal of appropriate size). With cam and IP locked, you just line up the crank pulley at TDC, slip the belt on, and then tighten up the cam bolt.

The reason why you are having problems, is because the cam bolt is not loose. So you are trying to line up the cam and the crank pulleys, which is usually impossible (you will have problems getting the teeth in the right place and the crank pulley will move back and forth, making the whole process aggravating and difficult).

You can get a perfect time set up by following the above method (this method is also found in the Bentley manual and is the factory method for doing this).
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640611

Timing a 1Y is the same.
steven tyson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

Is the injection pump bracket different on the 1.6 from the 1.9...I can't get the throw on the dial indicator tool.... I was told I'm looking to get the pump to .95
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

The 1.6 and 1.9 pump brackets are different, but the difference does not affect how you set the timing or how much lift you can achieve within the adjustment slots of the pump. If you cannot get the specified plunger lift before the pump mounting bolts hit the ends of the adjustment slots, then your pump sprocket is not set on the correct tooth of the belt.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel 1982 1.9NA 1Y 4 speed manual trans westy Reply with quote

I believe that is .95mm, not .95 ". Do you have a metric or inch indicator?

Roland
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: