Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wont go in to reverse-Update
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Wont go in to reverse-Update Reply with quote

Hi

Engine and trans were out for new fuel tank install.

Only drove it a few times since. Was hard 'finding reverse' after reinstall.

Now it wont go into reverse. Seems to go to that position but 'pops/bumps/moves' out of reverse. It does this as if the push down to move into reverse is negated and the shifter pops back up and out.

Is this possibly affected by the lock out plate? It wasnt removed when I pulled or reinstalled the engine.

Every other gear, especially 1st and 2nd shift smoothly. Before engine pull reverse was never an issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by brownbus2 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Does it shift smoothly otherwise? Have you triple checked your linkage connection at the base of the shift rod under the front of the bus as well as the end of the linkage rod where it joins with the bushing at the tranny?

Sitting in the driver's seat won't tell you much. More helpful to have someone look underneath while someone goes through the shift pattern to observe and listen.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

I would guess it has something to do with the grub screw for the shift coupler.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

that or the coupler.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Is that the screw that is threaded with wire and is also sometimes also held in with lock-tite?

What should I look for with that screw? Too loose? Not there?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Is that the screw that is threaded with wire and is also sometimes also held in with lock-tite?

What should I look for with that screw? Too loose? Not there?

If you don't get the screw centered in the inner hole correctly the coupler can end up out of alignment with the shaft. You would think it would always self center into the inner hole, but this actually doesn't happen 100% of the time. If the screw you has has a sharp point you need to ground it down.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2525745
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

doesn't have a point you need to grind one. If the point is too narrow and too long then you need it to be shorter and fat. The screw must bottom on the sides of the well for it. If it is a factory grub screw it will be fine.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Will twisting around the wire that threads the hole move it out of alignment?

I'd imagine if its tight before twisting the wire etc. that it wont move it out of alignment(or shouldn't).

Ill report back this evening.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

You've had the entire drive train out of the bus for a repair, now you've put it back in. it's obvious to me that all that is not sitting in the same position it was before removal. you need to go back and readjust everything effected by the drive train removal. Like the shift leaver. My money says that is it, a shift leaver adjustment. Idea
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
You've had the entire drive train out of the bus for a repair, now you've put it back in. it's obvious to me that all that is not sitting in the same position it was before removal. you need to go back and readjust everything effected by the drive train removal. Like the shift leaver. My money says that is it, a shift leaver adjustment. Idea

Is that done by loosening the bolts at the base of the shift lever, then with a flat edge moving the lockout plate?
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Is that done by loosening the bolts at the base of the shift lever, then with a flat edge moving the lockout plate?

Yes. if unsure on exact procedure do a search on shifter adjustment. it is a subject that has been covered exstensively in this forum.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Assuming this is from the viewpoint of sitting in the drivers seat is this the correct orientation for the lockout plate?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know the thing is a mess, but its probably been there for a few decades
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Assuming this is from the viewpoint of sitting in the drivers seat is this the correct orientation for the lockout plate?

I know the thing is a mess, but its probably been there for a few decades

Yes reverse lock out ramp on the right (passenger) side.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Ugly as hell your reverse lockout plate is. That said, you didn’t futz with it before, so why would that be your cause now? I can tell you this. A type 4 engine/transmission assembly can be installed either too far forward or too far aft. There are slotted holes in the rear hanger and the front fork mount can be clamped down + or - about an inch which could affect shifting
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Who did the engine and transmission drop? Did they bend the rod during that procedure? Evaluate.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

I removed and installed engine/trans...combo was free of rod etc. before the lowering.

Looking at Tcashs shifted ID parts thread, I think the front shift rod bushing 'may' be a factor...seeing as how it appears to not be there:

also does that rod look too far forward?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

Without a functioning bushing there will be lots of slop in the system. Find the best quality bushing you can get your hands on. Cheap ones will last only a few thousand miles, while quality ones will last for hundreds of thousands.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

1) would no bushing cause the shifter to pop back out of reverse?

2) do I need to pull trans to install that bushing? if no what is involved. Is it just as easy as sliding it over the rod and into the hole the rod goes through?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wont go in to reverse Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
1) would no bushing cause the shifter to pop back out of reverse?

2) do I need to pull trans to install that bushing? if no what is involved. Is it just as easy as sliding it over the rod and into the hole the rod goes through?

You just need to remove the grub screw from the shift coupler so that the coupler will slide off the shaft sticking out of the transmission and unbolt and the shifter lever. This will allow the rod to move back out of the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: