Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb for a 1679
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt the top end of my 1974 DP 1600 and now it is a 1700 (1679). Do I need to think about a different carb/distributor combo? Now I have the 34 Pict 3 and the 034 SCDA distributor. It seems to run good I just wondered if it could run better. Dual carbs are not an option for me.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

Keep what you have if anything add electronic point replacement module.
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

Starbucket, the electronic distributors don't work as well for me. It feels like the vacuum advance is too stiff and doesn't advance as well as the 034. I've tried two. Good idea though.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

My car came with a 1679 and dual 32/34 PSDIT single throat carbs. This setup had a 034 SDVA dist. It was difficult to tune the carbs.

I changed the carbs to dual 40 IDF clones. This setup used a 009 dist at first. It ran very well. And was easy to tune.
I changed the dist to a 010. The engine ran a little bit better and tuning was still easy.

After getting tired of pulling the carbs and manifolds to change the IDF idle jets.
I changed the carbs to 36 Delorto's. Kept the 010 dist and was very happy with this setup and the ease of changing the idle jets via the top of the carbs, instead of the side on the IDF's.
This setup was very easy to tune and ran great!
Not being able to leave well enough alone. I changed the dist to a CB Magna Spark II. It ran just as well as the 010. Oh well!

In the middle of a 2180 build for my car. I experimented on a CDI setup that I planned on using on the 2180.
The experiment took place on the 1679.
I installed an MSD Mag pickup clone dist. Crane Hi6N CDI and a Crane LX-92 coil. This ignition setup provided multiple sparks at each plug when they were firing.
The results were better than I expected. The engine fired up cleanly.
There was no hesitation during acceleration and overall better cruising at hiway speeds. I was very happy with this setup.

If you're not crazy like me. Shocked
Just run your 34 PICT carb and 034 distributor. If you don't like the Petronics stuff. Run points and condenser. They work just fine.
You may have to rejet your carb, due to the increased displacement.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

Your current carb and distributor are fine. Monitor the plugs for the rich lean condition and then adjust the air fuel mixture accordingly. Stock exhaust, heater boxes on the engine?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Carb for a 1679 Reply with quote

qt1953, yes I still have the stock heater boxes. I will give some thought to the different carbs and distributors mentioned. Or I may just leave it alone. No I won't. LOL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: