Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can an ignition switch be rekeyed?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

i know there are numbers on the switch were they can just make a new key.
i have a bad switch reight now and have to replace mine but i would like the new one to open the doors as well.
so if i give a locksmith my original key and a new switch can it be swapped to the new key pattern?or do i have to get a new key for the switch and then rekey the door to fit?
thanks for any help
russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that task can easily be accomplished. Just be sure that the tumblers on your ignition switch & door handles have the same key code (SG, SU, SV etc..) You just change out the small Brass wafers to match each tumbler & it's ready.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russsssss
Some locksmiths will say no, but look for the 'old' guys, they can do it by r&r ing the cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

Where do the extra brass wafers come from? I guess you cant just move them around in the same tumbler.

Peter
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

You can move them around. If you think you will get away with just swapping them around in the same lock, guess again. Of the countless locks I've rekeyed, it's only happened once to me.

You can get wafers from other dead locks. Look for broken door handles. Check for worn out wafers too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

Normally the locksmith / VW mechanic remake your door locks after the new ignition switch.
Thats easier.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You can move them around. If you think you will get away with just swapping them around in the same lock, guess again. Of the countless locks I've rekeyed, it's only happened once to me.

You can get wafers from other dead locks. Look for broken door handles. Check for worn out wafers too.

Thanks, How do the wafers come out? I have been looking at them way too long now,
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: can an ignition switch be rekeyed? Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:
Thanks, How do the wafers come out? I have been looking at them way too long now,

You push them out from the bottom.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: