Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I noticed that the front trim piece that covers the front wooden bow is covered in material very similar to the headliner except it's not perforated. Might this be original from the factory? I thought they were just plastic?

That vinyl header cover looks correct to me Marc - I'd be surprised if it wasn't original. Lilcar's is very similar to yours except the vinyl is ice blue to match the interior. Super cool that Regatta retained her open/close tag and also that your handle appears to snap shut!

I agree that the cover looks original. It has matching patina to the headliner. I think the later ones have just plastic but then maybe that's because the ones I've seen might be reproductions?

Yes the handle operates perfectly and when I operate it I'm terrified that It will break on me? Think I've read so many threads where handles won't stay folded up so I'm trying to be so careful with it. Since my top is vinyl, I try not to keep it down between rides to minimize wrinkling? Is your top vinyl or canvas?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Is your top vinyl or canvas?

It's canvas sourced from Chuck's- originally was turkis but I could only find black. I am using an original vinyl boot which it a real tight fit. I let it warm up outdoors before even attempting to snap it in place. Once the boot is on I really try to make it through the summer without taking it off since I want to minimize the wear on it. I can already see the snaps starting to pull away from the vinyl in areas...
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Is your top vinyl or canvas?

It's canvas sourced from Chuck's- originally was turkis but I could only find black. I am using an original vinyl boot which it a real tight fit. I let it warm up outdoors before even attempting to snap it in place. Once the boot is on I really try to make it through the summer without taking it off since I want to minimize the wear on it. I can already see the snaps starting to pull away from the vinyl in areas...

Your boot sounds pretty fragile for sure, but it's amazing that you were able to find that boot!
I'm very split with what will be best for the top? leave it down all summer, or put it up and down each ride? But it's certainly not going to be driven with the top up very often!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Reading with much interest on you experienced convertible owners.

What is the best, leave the roof opened and lowered in place, or close it again when the car is garaged and not in use?

Thanks in advance.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:

What is the best, leave the roof opened and lowered in place, or close it again when the car is garaged and not in use?

Thanks in advance.

Always close and latch, otherwise the top can shrink and make it very difficult to close.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Noted with thanks Braukuche Very Happy
75 Baywindow
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I too am a convertible noob Smile
I talked about my top with Lisa Meier. She suggests to leave it up when stored. She also mentioned when before closing use a piece of soft cloth like microfiber or flannel to protect the plastic window from scratching. I use a piece of polyester fleece.

How cool is the "open/close label. I need to find one!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
restocal63 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I talked about my top with Lisa Meier. She suggests to leave it up when stored. She also mentioned when before closing use a piece of soft cloth like microfiber or flannel to protect the plastic window from scratching. I use a piece of polyester fleece.

What's meant by "storing the car"? Do you mean long term as in a month or more? Or do you mean car being parked for a day or two? I've had many different convertibles in the last 30 years and I've always left the top down indefinitely while parked in the garage and only put the tops up when I needed it up.

These 69.5 and earlier Ghias though seems to have a pretty complex mechanism. The handle used to release and engage the hooks seems very delicate and fragile. Maybe it's just me being unfamiliar with it?

To be specific, if the top is down, and I know I won't use the car again for 4 or 5 days, is it best to put the top up and latched?

Does vinyl or canvas make a difference with this subject? Is wrinkling even a concern if leaving it folded for a week or two?

Should the hooks and the bar that it latches on to be greased?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
restocal63 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

What's meant by "storing the car"? Do you mean long term as in a month or more? Or do you mean car being parked for a day or two? I've had many different convertibles in the last 30 years and I've always left the top down indefinitely while parked in the garage and only put the tops up when I needed it up.

These 69.5 and earlier Ghias though seems to have a pretty complex mechanism. The handle used to release and engage the hooks seems very delicate and fragile. Maybe it's just me being unfamiliar with it?

To be specific, if the top is down, and I know I won't use the car again for 4 or 5 days, is it best to put the top up and latched?

Does vinyl or canvas make a difference with this subject? Is wrinkling even a concern if leaving it folded for a week or two?

VW recommended always closing the top.
I don’t k know how many convertible Ghias I’ve come across that were stored with the top down only to find the top wouldn’t come within a foot of closing.
Besides that the top, headliner, padding are all being compressed and wrinkled while it’s down.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
restocal63 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

VW recommended always closing the top.
I don’t k know how many convertible Ghias I’ve come across that were stored with the top down only to find the top wouldn’t come within a foot of closing.
Besides that the top, headliner, padding are all being compressed and wrinkled while it’s down.

I should have been a little clearer.
I have gotten into the habit of leaving the top up unless I’m driving with the top down.
When Joan was on display at the California dealership she was shown topless.
Eight years of mostly top down display couldn’t have been good.
The mechanism was really stiff when I got her but has since loosened up a bit.
Thankfully it’s none the worse for wear.

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Rain the last few days has prevented me from going out to gather more symptoms of the generator light issue. Keeping in mind that I'm totally new to Air Cooled VW's, I have a lot to learn about how they run, how they sound, and how they feel. So Regatta and I set out for a drive with the top up as it's in the 50's and I was planning to stay on the road a while.

First stop was the gas station. The fuel gauge showed half a tank when she arrived in Vermont last week. After driving almost 40 miles since then, she was down to 1/4 tank. That's pretty bad mpg! Being parked since 1999, I'm sure she needs some breaking in. As I pulled into our only full service gas station in town (might be the last one in the state?), the station attendant walked towards the car smiling. As I expected, he had a lot of questions. He was fascinated with Regatta. Surprisingly, he put 2.4 gallons of non-ethanol gas in and she was full!. So the fuel gauge is not accurate, now reading a little under half a tank. I was happy to know that it wasn't as bad on gas as it seemed, not to mention pleased that the fill up cost me only $12.

After a lot of conversation, I drove off with parking lights on to see if the Generator light would come on again. Drove 10 miles and no generator light other than when I stopped the car while in gear and the generator light would come on, but as soon as I give it gas or take it out of gear, the RPMs climb and the light goes out. So I turned the headlights on and drove another 10 miles with the same results. So I'm pretty confident that there's no electrical issues going on. It's just low idling when stopped in gear. I've now put a total of 60 miles on Regatta and she drives very solid, like a 22k mile car should.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find the seats in Regatta so different than the seats in OGhia. I must sit at least 2 inches higher. I get a totally different view out the windshield with Regatta. I now realize OGhia's seats may look beautiful but they are definitely crushed and will need restoring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I feel confident enough to make an appointment for her state inspection. Hope she passes?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Yeah, these gas gauges are not precision instruments. Wink

Good luck!

Max
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

So now its

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,410 Original Miles
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
So now its

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,410 Original Miles

You are correct. Very Happy
Like you, I'm making up excuses for errands. Think

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Can't believe I missed this thread! What a wonderful ghia ! Looks amazing!

Bests

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

I think I feel confident enough to make an appointment for her state inspection. Hope she passes?

The best view in the world Cool

I think Regatta will ace the test!

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Yeah, these gas gauges are not precision instruments. Wink

Good luck!

Max

Thank you Max.
I was impressed that it was even working but I never thought that it might be that far off! Apparently the dealer didn't know either as he told me he put $20 in because it was on empty? Laughing I'll be keeping a fuel log in the car and now have one more future project.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Can't believe I missed this thread! What a wonderful ghia ! Looks amazing!

Bests

Antoine

Thank you Antoine.
I'm still pinching myself. I'm surprised that I even had the opportunity to see such a time capsule, let alone purchase it.

Looking forward to seeing your 60 Ghia all back together but I see you are working on a Porsche 914. Looks like it will be a beauty when you're done. I like that you will bring it back to it's original color. You do amazing work.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Iam not familiar with the Ghia fuel gauge, but bug units have a screw on back side that allows for a bit of adjustment to bring the reading closer to what is in the tank. I always adjust my bug gauges to just below the full mark when the tank itself is full.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

The best view in the world Cool

I think Regatta will ace the test!

You are right, it's an amazing view alright. Very Happy
After being tempted to purchase your original Beauty rings last month, I guess I just had to have a set!! I just didn't think I would have to buy an entire car to get them! Shocked .

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 26

Jump to: