Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elieth792
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

I have a bad gas leak that looks like it is coming from behind the air filter/at the top of the carburetor and ONLY when the car is running. I took a video last I had the car on with fire extinguisher on hand. Don't want to start the car again until this is fixed but also can't see where the leak is to determine what to do unless the car is on. Any suggestions/anyone have this issue? I am thinking about taking off the air filter to see if there's anything weird but again, can't see where the leak is to determine what to do unless the car is on.

Link to video on YouTube: https://youtube.com/shorts/eg2ukVjbh7I?feature=share

Other potentially helpful information:
1971 Super Beetle

Car sat for a bit and wasn't starting so it was at the mechanic in the last 2 weeks before I had it transported to new home out of state. Was running fine until I had it transported out of state - had no leak or any other issue and was running great. I don't want it to sit and I am still looking for a new mechanic here. Anyone have a good VW mechanic in the Pittsburgh area as well?
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Looks like either the line or the fitting has come loose where it feeds into the carb. Or the line has cracked where it attached to the fitting.

Either way, it looks like the gas is coming from that point, because it's then running down the gas line itself.
Bajabug1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

It seems like it is the fuel inlet nipple or the fuel line where it connects to the carb, very easy fix remove air filter inspect fuel line and inlet nipple replace fuel line or hose clamp it if necessary, gas nowadays can eat certain fuel lines because of the ethanol in it. If the nipple itself has come loose you can fix it by pushing the nipple back in and using a punch on the aluminum body of the carb in the three spots shown which will expand the metal and help hold the nipple in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bajabug1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

nbvolks wrote:
Looks like either the line or the fitting has come loose where it feeds into the carb. Or the line has cracked where it attached to the fitting.

Either way, it looks like the gas is coming from that point, because it's then running down the gas line itself.

Damn you beat me to it Surprised
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Number 1
Replace that and the rest of the fuel line with fuel line that can handle ethanol
Number 2
Use clamps on the hoses
Number 3
More then likely the connection is loose and needs to be repaired.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Even if the inlet nipple at the carb is leaking and needs repair, I agree with gt1953 that it would be wise to replace all your fuel hoses.

This is the hose you want:

https://belmetric.com/m5x10-braided-flennor-multifuel-hose-rhm5braid/

It can handle up to 85% Ethanol. I'd consider moving the fuel filter out of the engine compartment as well. Every connection is a potential leak and there are plenty of ignition sources back there. Mine is under the fuel tank on the passenger side ... easy to get to for periodic replacement. Locating it on the suction side of the fuel pump has not caused any performance issues for me.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
elieth792
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Thank you all so much! I will keep you posted on the progress
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Sounds as if you’ve gotten pointed in the right direction for your fuel leak.

As for a repair shop, Aircooled VW’s haven’t been actively daily driven in Western PA for probably 30+ years, so that may be difficult to find. Jim’s Custom VW’s specializes in Aircooled stuff, and is just across the Ohio border in Columbiana. Depending on where you are at in Pittsburgh, that may only be an hour, or so away. If you don’t need any work right now, Jim has three nice events at his shop throughout the year you should check out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Leak / VW mechanic in Pittsburgh Reply with quote

Tom Kennedy of The Samba is in Pittsburgh, could be around the corner !!! Or 50 miles away !!!

Anyway, watching the Pirates right now on YouTube TV - I am from
Pittsburgh, lived there until our parents hijacked us to Arizona....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: