Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Polyurethane bushings
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

The radius rod bushings were replaced with rubber ones and they are fine.

You might be right about the grease but I used the recommended grease in the recommended locations as per the supplied instructions. The stuff I used was pretty tacky and I used plenty all over when I regreased them, plus I greased inside the bores and inside the mounts. Surely this would provide enough lubrication to prevent making noise for a short time if it was just a grease issue?

I see from your photos in the other thread that the LCA mounting point on the Syncro is different to the 2WD. You're seems to leave more of the bushing exposed at the sides so maybe this has something to do with it. On mine when I torqued the bolts up I could see the gap between the bushing and the arm closing and grease squeezed out. The flange on the end of the bushing seemed to bulge out a little, so they are wedged in tight which doesn't seem right to me.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

The steel inner sleeve will prevent the bushing from being squeezed too far.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
The steel inner sleeve will prevent the bushing from being squeezed too far.

Yeah I guess so if the sleeve and the bushing halves are the right length. I had another look and on the rear, the flanges at the ends of the bushings don’t look squashed in (there is a little gap on each side between the bushing and the mount and the bushing and the trailing arm). But on the front there aren’t the same gaps and the flanges look pretty tight between the mounting point and the arm, particularly on the forward bushing.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

i installed some new rubber bushings on the radius arm and when they did the alignment last time i checked the front bushings and the rubber had splits and cracks from tightening the outer nuts on the radius arm. i am currently in the process of rebuilding the front suspension and when i took the old lca bushings out the rubber was in good shape not dry rotted but there was wearing on the outer edges of the where it had rubbed against the mounting frame. so given that the rubber had worn down there if this was to happen with poly maybe the poly would not wear in the same way or not at all with rubbing motion and this would cause the noise issue. the characteristics of the rubber seems to be like sanding a piece of wood small granules rub off with friction over time and i dont know if this same action would have the same result with poly.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

here is a interesting issue when i removed my trailing arm bushings the bolt wouldnt come out was able to take nut off but bolt would spin but i could not extract it. what was going on was the rubber bond had deteriorated and the sleeve was seized to the bolt so the bolt and sleeve were turning and could not be pulled out. had to cut the bolt off on both sides to remove bushing
1990 vw automatic camper
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

I had the opposite problem on one of my rear trailing arm bolts - it wouldn’t turn at all because the bolt was rusted to the sleeve and I snapped the bolt (and almost my shoulder when it let go) when I swung (swang?) on it with a 1/2” breaker bar.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
here is a interesting issue when i removed my trailing arm bushings the bolt wouldnt come out was able to take nut off but bolt would spin but i could not extract it. what was going on was the rubber bond had deteriorated and the sleeve was seized to the bolt so the bolt and sleeve were turning and could not be pulled out. had to cut the bolt off on both sides to remove bushing

This is why on all such assemblies you need to heavily coat the bolts and inside of steel sleeves with an antiseize compound, I think it's a better choice than grease. Either will help exclude water for a time but the antiseize will leave a film of soft metal behind that's more lasting and resistant to corrosion than the trace of oil remaining once grease is displaced.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

i guess it would be routine service every couple of years to pull all bushing bolts out and camber and re-anti seize them. or you could make the sleeves out of a metal (corten, titanium ss etc)that was less prone to oxidation.
1990 vw automatic camper
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

Good call on the antisieze when assembling but routinely pulling them and reapplying seems like overkill to me.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

i am by no way a chemist but it seems that the poly bushings i have seen that are worn or failed do not wear in the same way that rubber bushing wear and fail. the poly seems to smear or deform vs rubber seems to rub off in very small granules. the difference in material characteristics are probably causing the issues with noise.
1990 vw automatic camper
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Good call on the antisieze when assembling but routinely pulling them and reapplying seems like overkill to me.

Yeah, maybe every ten years, about the time it needs new bushings again. The whole point of careful preparations is to avoid doing the job again anytime soon!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

So would it be fair to say the following instructions do not provide adequate greasing?

...if any surface of the bushing(s) that contacts anything but air is not lubricated with proper grease, you will experience squeaking. Said another way, and as I have said before, if you use the correct grease and you use it properly, you will not experience squeaking when using urethane bushings. It's that simple.

Getting ready to install urethane UCA bushings, and I want to make sure that I use the proper/proven greasing technique with Bushing Snot. Per earlier posts, the bushing manufacturer specifically directs to only lube specific surfaces...not all sides of all parts. However, I trust the real-life experiences of this board over those general recommendations. I want to do this once!

What's the consensus? Lube EVERYTHING? ...And would this also include the outer surface of the outer bushing sleeve?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

I smeared everything and this is what I noticed. The arm was rotating around the outside of the bushing too. It’s designed to rotate around the sleeve. The design probably dictates to lube only the moving surfaces. I was more concerned about dry surfaces that “might” move.

I’ll see how it goes. So, it’s up to you I suppose.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

So would it be fair to say the following instructions do not provide adequate greasing?

...if any surface of the bushing(s) that contacts anything but air is not lubricated with proper grease, you will experience squeaking. Said another way, and as I have said before, if you use the correct grease and you use it properly, you will not experience squeaking when using urethane bushings. It's that simple.

Getting ready to install urethane UCA bushings, and I want to make sure that I use the proper/proven greasing technique with Bushing Snot. Per earlier posts, the bushing manufacturer specifically directs to only lube specific surfaces...not all sides of all parts. However, I trust the real-life experiences of this board over those general recommendations. I want to do this once!

What's the consensus? Lube EVERYTHING? ...And would this also include the outer surface of the outer bushing sleeve?

Let’s just say it another way. In regards to urethane bushings, lube everything that touches anything, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Using that default will definitely create a squeak free installation.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

Hey,

reviving this old thread for a question, what would be a good alternative for bushing snot on european market for powerflex bushings?

Shipping is 60$ from 'merica across the puddle.. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:
Hey,

reviving this old thread for a question, what would be a good alternative for bushing snot on european market for powerflex bushings?

Shipping is 60$ from 'merica across the puddle.. Confused

Hello! Sorry that the shipping calculator isn't as accurate as it should be for international shipments.

Depending on what size Bushing Snot you want to order, the shipping cost would be right close to the $25 mark. I know, still not dirt cheap, but not nearly as expensive as $60.

Feel free to send me a email through the website and I can help you out with this order.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

Hey, thnx for the reply!
Will do. I would rather buy an alternative closer to my location (no import tax and messing with import office..), but i guess this snot is the real deal..

Could you perhaps point me to some good alternative (if it exist..)?
Otherwise, i'll get you snot Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:
Hey, thnx for the reply!
Will do. I would rather buy an alternative closer to my location (no import tax and messing with import office..), but i guess this snot is the real deal..

Bushing Snot is a proprietary product. There isn't a source in Europe...unfortunately.

TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:
Hey, thnx for the reply!

Bushing Snot is a proprietary product. There isn't a source in Europe...unfortunately.

Thank you for the info. When i dive into powerflexes, i'll give you a pm Smile
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyurethane bushings Reply with quote

I have powerflex on most of the front end now and I like them. Not squeeky, used provided grease from t3 and my personal opinion is they are great. If it's time to replace your bushings...I'd say these work really well. I'm confident I will be dead before they wear out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: