Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
This engine will eventually be a stand in for my big boar 40 hp engine in my bus now.

I was initially asking cause I noticed your twin turbos made the motors foot print a liiiiiittle bit wider. Will there be interference with the way it fits in the motor bay of a bus?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Im keeping the rear engine tin apron's tin in the same shape it was in surrounding the pipe work for the turbos. I will have to substitute the OG rubber seal for fiberglass exhaust wrap in places because the tin runs real close to the exhaust. But all in all it should fit in great. The bonus is that the rear body apron of the bus is removable to facilitate the installation of this unusual combination .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

What turbos are you using????

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

I'm using Chinese rhb 31 turbos . I have dismantaled them and corrected many flaws concerning the bearings and center sections. The reason that those kinds of turbos fail is because they produce them in a manor that leaves machining partials and casting flaws that cause the oil not to coat or " film" properly . Special care concerning the indexing the compressor wheel and the turbine shaft must be taken with an assembly that small because of balancing concerns . The compressor and turbine housings are all ported as well . I have used Chinese turbos and center sections for years and never had a failure because I use my own special " method " of prepping them . I have serviced the turbos of at least five TDI's in my local aria for customers to support my claim . I would never dream of using one of those turbochargers out of the box because failure would be imminent .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Oh yeah the center sections as well as the oil cooler on the full flow oil system will have its own cooling system complete with its own electric water pump and remote radiator with fan .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

The mechanical dizzy mounted . With part of the new ignition system as well 😊
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

This is looking more all the time to being a well thought out project! Unusual... but well thought out so let's see how it all come together.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
This is looking more all the time to being a well thought out project! Unusual... but well thought out so let's see how it all come together.
Cool
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

please post some vids when your done!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
The mechanical dizzy mounted . With part of the new ignition system as well 😊

What’s the size of the down pipes?
Looks like a back pressure bomb.
Go up in size big time!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

The down pipes look to be the same size as the turbine side outlet. I don't know it there would be much gain in going bigger.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

I went CIS on one of my many engine configurations. I like to go against the grain as well. Kinda pushes you to engineer and works the brain a bit more.

Porsche did it.....you can also.
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The down pipes look to be the same size as the turbine side outlet. I don't know it there would be much gain in going bigger.

Wrong. Looks like 1 5/8 size, all turbo engines deserves a big down pipe!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

andor wrote:
oprn wrote:

Wrong. Looks like 1 5/8 size, all turbo engines deserves a big down pipe!

My caliper didn't work that well when I held it up to the computer screen but it seems yours is of better quality.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Yes the down pipes are 1 5/8" . Because the turbine size is around 1" , I figure that would be sufficient . And having two of them with a very short length combined with the rather small stock size 40 hp valves should not put to much stress on things . I'm going for a small boost on power with the benefit of a bit better milage.
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
Yes the down pipes are 1 5/8" . Because the turbine size is around 1" , I figure that would be sufficient . And having two of them with a very short length combined with the rather small stock size 40 hp valves should not put to much stress on things . I'm going for a small boost on power with the benefit of a bit better milage.

Personally I would have upgraded to a bigger size. At least 2”
Low boost also dictate more exhaust through the wastegate, and it looks like it’s restricted.
Bigger down pipe = less back pressure, less heat, faster spool, better control of boost..
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

andor wrote:
Low boost also dictate more exhaust through the wastegate, and it looks like it’s restricted.

That totally depends on how closely the turbos are matched to the engine size. Low boost can happen when the turbo is too big. Personally I would be surprised if that 1200 cc engine has enough huff to open the waste gates... on one turbo never mind two... we will see...

I think this fellow has done his homework and, he is not going to be revving that little old 40 hp engine to the moon and back either if I understand it correctly.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

The rhb31 turbo is a dinky little turbo.
Those downpipes should be fine with that setup.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Yes it is true , I'm going a bit light on the turbos . I'm going to compensate with the charge cooling a bit .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

The first of two .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: