Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'02 Weekender -- best tires?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emittim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

In your opinion, what are the best tires for a 2002 Weekender?

Is there a specific speed rating on them that is recommended and/or sidewall stiffness?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

Go by the label on the car. Make sure to buy the high load rating tires according to the label on the van. Passenger tires are too weak and NOT safe to use on those heavy vans
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

About half of the T4 in our local group of 30 use passenger tires. Despite the shrill chest beaters here, no issues.

It’s all about intended use. Easy driving around town , they are fine

85 on western freeways at rated load, no.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

I’m going to respectfully disagree Abs. Why not just get what is recommended with the proper rating?

Limited choices for me with the 15” wheels, but I went with General Grabber HDs and have been really happy with them. Quiet but beefy.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

Not alot of XL rated tires available in 225/60r16. THis is one of the only ones left.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

Here is another discussion on the topic. I will only run XL rated tires for my overload EVC while running 85 on western highways.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746262&highlight=xl+tires
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

Kumho Crugen HT51 are available with a 104 load rating (above the required load rating) in a 235/60R16 size. Slightly wider and taller than stock but within a few percent on both dimensions. They are also reasonably priced and generally available.

I have them on my '03 W/E with no issues.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes
matics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Kumho Crugen HT51 are available with a 104 load rating (above the required load rating) in a 235/60R16 size. Slightly wider and taller than stock but within a few percent on both dimensions. They are also reasonably priced and generally available.

I have these on my new-to-me '03 Weekender. I'll likely need to replace 2 of them due to wear soon and will get the same.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Been running the Vredsteins from Tirerack on my 02 Weekender for years with no issues. Quiet, handle nicely, and so far after 20K+ miles, they wear very well. PO had 98 load rated tires installed and the ride was soft and sloppy. Much improved with the proper load rated tires. Since I load up the van significantly, it was dangerous anyway to run 98 load rating tires (they were Firestone, FWIW).
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

matics wrote:
gesoffen wrote:

I have these on my new-to-me '03 Weekender. I'll likely need to replace 2 of them due to wear soon and will get the same.

Same here, very happy with the HT51s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '02 best tires? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
About half of the T4 in our local group of 30 use passenger tires. Despite the shrill chest beaters here, no issues.

It’s all about intended use. Easy driving around town , they are fine

85 on western freeways at rated load, no.

I agree. On a weekender, which is much lighter than an EVC, passenger car tires of 92 load or so will be just fine.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

I’ll try to do a better job in 2025 remembering the T4 forum serves T4a, T4b, and EVC.
AlexandMary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’ll try to do a better job in 2025 remembering the T4 forum serves T4a, T4b, and EVC.

Steve. You are very where!
murraybot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Can 235/60/16 be run on the stock 16” rims on later eurovans, or is the 235 too wide for the stock rim?
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

I've been running Yokohama Geolanders in 235/60-15 quite successfully for 10k miles now.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Zero issues with running Kumho Crugen HT51 in a 235/60R16 size.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Well...
Depends on what you're doing with the vehicle. I always recommend LT tires for Eurovans. Thicker sidewalls, better puncture resistance.

Here's the rundown on the differences.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/passenger-vs-light-truck
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

I used to run Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, 235/60 16 with a 100 load rating on my Weekender. I really like this tire and it did well for winter driving and the occasional forest service road. No issues with it fitting. But when I needed new tires I had problems finding it with the proper load rating. I switched to Nokian Rotiiva AT 215/65. I felt having a little more weight on a slightly smaller contact patch was actually a good thing for my driving needs. The Nokian is another good option.
murraybot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '02 Weekender -- best tires? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Ended up using a 215/65/16 Falken AT Trail - they look pretty nice. There are lots of good choices for high load tires in the that size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: