Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

I've got some center brackets on the way to me from a Type 4 powered Bay Window, but I don't think I have any end brackets I can find easily. If I had extra, not sure where they went. Sad

https://www.oemclassicparts.com/vw-engine_parts/en...-79_13236/

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_70760...99351.html

It seems the Type 4 powered Bay Windows have their own part number for these (the 211 prefix)? Are they indeed different? Or did this configuration first get used when putting the Type 4 engine into the bus? If anyone has the actual part number for the Type 4 car end brackets, that would be helpful for comparison.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
I've got some center brackets on the way to me from a Type 4 powered Bay Window, but I don't think I have any end brackets I can find easily. If I had extra, not sure where they went. Sad

https://www.oemclassicparts.com/vw-engine_parts/en...-79_13236/

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_70760...99351.html

It seems the Type 4 powered Bay Windows have their own part number for these (the 211 prefix)? Are they indeed different? Or did this configuration first get used when putting the Type 4 engine into the bus? If anyone has the actual part number for the Type 4 car end brackets, that would be helpful for comparison.

Ok....here are the parts lists

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They end mountings are not the same as bus. This does not mean that the bus mountings may not be able to fit. I can check one of mine and photograph it in the am.

Are you sure yours are missing? Typically ....one would not remove them when removing the engine. Its actually easier to remove the two bolts and the nut at the end of the bar...leaving the end mountings in place.

Its also smarter...because the position of the hanger bar end mountings is a critical adjustment in the drivetrain position. It can make a huge difference in shifting, vibration, wear and even possibly breakage of some parts.

The nuts in the chassis that the end mounts bolt to...are captive in cages. The end mounts themselves are also slotted. There is a vertical adjustment bolt and two horizontal lock bolts.

The end mountings are used to control the crush load on the center bar bonder rubber mountings and also are used to pivot the engine carrier around the mid mounting bar above the transmissin...to properly adjust and center the tail cone bumper bushing...for which there are three gauges used to center it.

If you have not read about what all is entailed in adjusting/aligning the drivetrain on a 411/412...check here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620282&highlight

In the am I will get some decent pictures and measure the bolt spread....and the vertical length of the whole hanger. But I can tell you that the 411/412 hanger ends look nothing like that. We have a different hanger bar.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, perfect! I couldn't get a good look given the conditions that my other 412 is sitting in and I've forgotten what they looked like from memory. And yes, I'm aware of the engine alignment procedure you've posted- excellent. I will be using it, of course. The situation is less than ideal, as I bought the car as a rolling shell, basically, with boxes of parts and a essentially a rebuilt long block. For whatever reasons- some long, boring stories and much forgotten events and many moves later, I've got two bare stabilizer bars I believe are correct, but no brackets of any kind! I don't understand either. Confused
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

Here are the pictures. Sorry they suck. I did them on the fly.

Left or right looking from the outside (fender ide) end

Looking from the top above where it mounts to chassis. The stud at the lower edge is the vertical bolt on the outside end.

Looking from the inisde out on the side the bar slots into

Looking from either the rear on the left hand side or the front on the right hand side

Looking from underneath where the bar slots in. The nut on the vertical bolt is the height/depth stop.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

Don't apologize, this is great! Cool Absolutely jogs my memory as to exactly what they look like out of the car.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

Oh, dang guys, what an idiot I am- the engine lid was stuck shut and I got my wife out finally to lift while I released it and the end brackets are still in the car! Embarassed I do have Jan Blair pulling some and all the associated hardware, so I guess I'll let that ride, because I don't think I have any of the hardware.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rear hanger/stabilizer bar end brackets Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
Oh, dang guys, what an idiot I am- the engine lid was stuck shut and I got my wife out finally to lift while I released it and the end brackets are still in the car! Embarassed I do have Jan Blair pulling some and all the associated hardware, so I guess I'll let that ride, because I don't think I have any of the hardware.

Laughing I was betting they were still there!. Unlike a bus.....it is not easier to remove the bar with these mounts. It's easier to let the vertical nut down a little to take tension off the two cross bolts at each end, put a jack under the engine and then remove the nut object the vertical stud on each end and the engine comes right out.

It was not until I owned my 4th type 4 that even had any need to ever remove one of the end brackets!. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: