Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

I am curious if there is likely any value to an upgraded induction set up on a basically stock engine.

The engine:

-AE code 1600 dp engine, stock cam, heads, valve train, etc.
-1-3/8" header with QP muffler, properly set up for manifold heat.
-Bosch SVDA distributor with functioning vac advance and slightly faster timing.
-Free flowing air cleaner, with proper stand off.

Induction choices:

A) CB super stock intake center section and a Solex 34-3 with a 28.5mm venturi. Re-jetted of course!

B) Stock Solex 34-3 with richer main jet and stock DP intake.

The car is a 70 Beetle and will be used as a second/third vehicle while my kid is home for the summer.

What do you think, go stock or try for a few more horses? Not sure if the stock cam will limit it anyway and I am just looking to lose mileage. The engine is just a convenience, it has an 1835 out for freshening up and going back in later this summer.

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Twin 40 IDF's Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

That would work in July and August, the rest of the year they would be a pain in the butt! Hard starting and jet changes as the weather got cold.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

A) CB super stock intake center section and a Solex 34-3 with a 27 to 27,5mm venturi. Re-jetted of course!
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

I fiddled with your choice "B" for a season on my stock 73 Ghia. Cold temps were the issue. Jetting could get it close but not consistent in the range of -10C to 30C. As oprn says a pain. Tried different thermostats etc as well. Personally wouldn't do the faster timing.
Ended up switching to 2x 34 ICT's. Worked great for 5 years. No issues in temps either. Slight performance increase and fuel economy stayed the same.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

It seems that there is some sort of recurring comments about cold weather operations. Jetting a bit richer in winter is not uncommon and fair enough. Are you saying that if it's rich enough to start easily then it ends up rich at running temperature?

As for the timing, what I meant is that the rate of advance has been made faster. it is now 25 degrees at 3000 rpms. Initial will be around 7 deg BTDC and total around 32. What would be the problem with that?

If anyone remembers some of my earlier posts, cold weather operations are a priority for me. Given where I live that is not unreasonable. However, this engine is probably only going to be used for a few months this summer, so not an issue in the short term.

As always, thanks for the input! This is basically what I call a "sweep the garage floor" engine build. The beetle has an 1835 with a few upgrades that will be freshened up and put back in later this summer. This is just an engine to keep it on the road for a few months while it's REAL engine is getting worked on.

Thanks!

Chris
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

I was referring to the twin Webers. Off the shelf Webers today do not give satisfactory year around drivability. If you are just looking to get it running for a couple summer months that is different.

And yes if your mixture is fat enough to start easily and run well cold it will be too rich once warmed up.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

I must admit that it took me roughly 20 years to figure it out. On the other hand it was not a top priority. VW themselves were pretty close. But I AM kinda amazed that so few northenerns know how to improve the cold start apart from installing oil heaters and the likes.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

I live on the Polar Equator for crying out loud, I have no issues in cold weather with my 40 Idf's on my bus , just have to warm it up before you take off( 'U Hosers" SNL Guy's) Laughing but I do park it in winter because of road salt Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Thats the key, where you live determines idfs needing rejetting or help. Not everyone lives in cold climates. Winter in some areas juat means you gotta give it 2 pumps of gas before starting.

I like Alstrups choice though. Keep the choke and simple system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Mike, you live in the banana belt, don't deny it! Wink

Ccowx is a long, long way north of you yet! In fact he is a long way north of me too. I know, I was up there once for my sister's wedding. It's so far north that I was allowed to sing at the reception and it did not create an international incident!

Could have though now that I think of it. Russia is closer than the USA was... Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Thats the key, where you live determines idfs needing rejetting or help. Not everyone lives in cold climates. Winter in some areas juat means you gotta give it 2 pumps of gas before starting.

Two pumps? Try again.. and again.. and again! If it's cold enough you will not be able physically pump it hard and fast enough to keep them running! I kid you not!
Without chokes the only way to get an engine running in REAL winter weather is to take the air cleaners off, hold your gloved hands (bare hands will freeze in seconds doing this) over the carbs and get the wife to work the starter and throttle. Be patient, it takes a while before you can take your hands off and you are going to need a hot cup of coffee to warm them up on after!

If you have never had to do this on a carb with no choke then you live in the afore mentioned banana belt. Period!

jpaull wrote:

Yes! Weber made the best, most tunable cold start system I have ever worked with and trust me I have experianced many many others!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Two pumps? Try again.. and again.. and again! If it's cold enough you will not be able physically pump it hard and fast enough to keep them running! I kid you not!
Without chokes the only way to get an engine running in REAL winter weather is to take the air cleaners off, hold your gloved hands (bare hands will freeze in seconds doing this) over the carbs and get the wife to work the starter and throttle. Be patient, it takes a while before you can take your hands off and you are going to need a hot cup of coffee to warm them up on after!

If you have never had to do this on a carb with no choke then you live in the afore mentioned banana belt. Period!

jpaull wrote:

Yes! Weber made the best, most tunable cold start system I have ever worked with and trust me I have experianced many many others!

No disagrements there. I live in cali where it rarely dips under 40 degrees. No need for chokes here.

I agree, in real winter weather it matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
A) CB super stock intake center section and a Solex 34-3 with a 27 to 27,5mm venturi. Re-jetted of course!

Have you gotten the preheat to work on one?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
It seems that there is some sort of recurring comments about cold weather operations. Jetting a bit richer in winter is not uncommon and fair enough. Are you saying that if it's rich enough to start easily then it ends up rich at running temperature?

The dual port w/ 34PICT3 carb in my '67 ran stinkin' rich all winter. Can't say that's good.

Fouled plugs can't make it easier to start.

oprn wrote:
jpaull wrote:

These "fuel injection" guys forget how bad it sucks tryin' to start an old car below zero. Rolling Eyes

Fahrenheit. Rolling Eyes

By the 1980s I was driving a '74 Beetle and working on a ski mountain. I'd frequently get off work after midnight. Go in at 10 below or so, come out at 20 below. Choke on my 34PICT3 worked fine. Getting the SOB started was a challenge, anyway.

Trick was to "borrow" the large cast iron skillet we kept on the wall for decoration. Fill the skillet full of hot coals from the fireplace. Shove it under the motor. Just make sure the car isn't parked on deep packed snow. Your skillet will melt its way to the center of the Earth, never to be seen again.

I've done it with charcoal as well.

Caveat: Glowing coals only, no flame. Grilling a VW is just like grilling a steak.

I'd watch a half hour of late night TV with the skillet warming the underside of my engine.

While it may not sound like the brightest move for obvious reasons, it beats walkin' especially at 20 below in the middle of the night.

You can warm your hands over your Hot VW when it catches fire.

KIDDING.

Might be a good reason to take care of any leaks before it gets cold again.

Another extreme cold weather trick is to drain all the oil while the motor is warm. If it's 20 below outside and 65 inside a couple quarts of fresh oil will be 85 degrees warmer than the temperature outside.

Run hot water over your couple quarts of oil. Figure 100 degree fresh oil, 20 below ambient temperature... as far as your engine is concerned it's starting with oil that's 120 degrees warmer than it is outside.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

The VW dealers here always sold and installed the 120 V oil pan heater on new cars. It was just a normal part of the pre-delivery service. They worked like a charm too. We always added a battery blanket. With the two plugged in you were good to go right down past -40.

The problem I always had and am still having with the electric automatic chokes is that if you set them for say -15* then they did not choke enough for -30. If you set it for -30 then it would choke for far too long at -15. They were always a compromise but still far better than the nothing we get today on aftermarket carbs.

I love my cable operated manual chokes on my old Webers! Very Happy I get to set them for best action for every start!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Now, I only live in the southwest in the southern most chain of the Rocky Mountains at 8000’. It snows and get cold, but not as cold as Buffalo. I can honestly say that I have zero issues starting my engine with IDF40s in the winter. Now, I do use a Kats VW-15 sump heater, which I guess would be similar to a cast iron skillet full of coals. There is also zero issues driving in cold temps.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I have zero issues starting my engine with IDF40s in the winter.

Which makes sense; one carb per barrel will give it enough fuel, big enough for plenty of air. The heads transfer heat fast enough to the carbs through the "short" manifolds that you're more than fine without the preheat air intake.

Do you still have/use that really cool oil heater?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Do you still have/use that really cool oil heater?

Yes, it’s a Kats VW-15 engine heater. I have one on my bus and one on my beetle. It is excellent and makes a huge difference on cold starts. I was lucky enough to find both of mine online as NOS units. The first one I bought was $35 and the one I just bought for my beetle was $75. Even at $75, it was a good purchase. Here’s my 2109 in my beetle idling at 10° just before we took off to the ski resort. My beetle is the ski monster!

Link

Even the very old Kaddies in the beetle have no issues with the cold. You just need to be patient and let everything work.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductioin choices on stock 1600 dp Reply with quote

If you have to drive a classic VW in -15 or -30 weather I feel really bad for you 🥶
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: