Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airline deals, tips please.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

I'm looking to book a flight Newark Liberty to San Jose, California and the rates are through the roof. From 1.3K to 3.5K round trip. I understand there are best days to search are those Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday. What days are those? What is a good site to use or should I just go directly to the airline site ie JetBlue. I do understand it is best to use a different ip address as I search which is not a problem.

Tips please. Thank you in advance. Very Happy
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Looked a little bit and you may have to hop scotch across the country. Couple of different airlines

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Have you checked nearby airports? I have driving 2 hours to get a direct flight from a major city and with the family going, I'll be saving about $1000. Yes, it's a pain in the butt - I just can't see paying that much extra for convenience.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

travel agent,pricelene,etc. me and the wife are fixen to fly to Rome for a week with a day in Tuscany, then fly to Kosovo for a week lots of tours&food ,hotells everything for less then $5000 for both of us. through travel agent ( a lot less stress) (my youngest daughter is getting married(wedding) .agent fees are usualy between $200&500, but it all depends on where, who, and what, and how much. or the air lines always run specials or need to fill a flight, you just have to find them...
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

try looking at rates on Orbitz.
consider flying at "off hours" (early/late in the day, red-eye)
consider flying into Oakland instead of SJC.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I'm looking to book a flight Newark Liberty to San Jose, California and the rates are through the roof. From 1.3K to 3.5K round trip. I understand there are best days to search are those Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday. What days are those? What is a good site to use or should I just go directly to the airline site ie JetBlue. I do understand it is best to use a different ip address as I search which is not a problem.

Tips please. Thank you in advance. Very Happy

I’m global services on United.

THe days of empty seats, and thus fire sale fares to fill he planes …are over.

Best fares are >5 weeks in advance. EWR to SJC is a high tech money route

Southwest I’d usually cheapest for close in travel. Book and search at swa.com
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m global services on United.

Baller Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

SWMBO inherits my status as a perk, and the first time she flew after I made GS, they drove her to her connecting flight in an MB. That was quite a weekend afterwards.

You have to spend something like 50k to hit GS , miles don’t matter.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

If the dates aren't necessarily fixed, my daughter and I like to use Kayak. They have a anytime selection. It will find the cheapest tickets available.

They also have an anywhere function. It's pretty neat. Just put in your starting airport (and we also select all near by airports because there a 5 or 6 near us) and it will bring up a globe. You can spin the globe and it will just start finding fares for random dates. We got tickets to Lima Peru and back to ONT airport for about $350 round trip. We also just got back from Guadalajara last week. $120 bucks round trip from LAX.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Most of the web services don’t access the cheap fare carriers like Spirit, swa, etc. one thing of which to be aware…

There is little capacity in the system right now. At 80% load, a cancelled flight is carried on 3-4 other flights, same day or next day.

At current loads, it can take 5 days to absorb those PAX

FAA rules, CX due to crew or equipment is on the airline.

CX due to weather or ATC load is your problem .
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Most of the web services don’t access the cheap fare carriers like Spirit, swa, etc. one thing of which to be aware…

There is little capacity in the system right now. At 80% load, a cancelled flight is carried on 3-4 other flights, same day or next day.

Enough acronyms?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Enough acronyms?

Oh crap, I lapsed into airline-speak

CX cancellation
MX mechanical cancellation
ATC - air traffic control aka” traffic”
PAX - passengers
Swa - southwest airlines IATA code
WX - weather cancellation

So…

I was booked from JFK to SJC via DL in J, but the second leg went MX and the next flight Wx. Luckily I got NS J via UA to SFO.

Means “ I was flying from NY to San Jose on Delta , the second leg cancelled due to a plane problem and my second cancelled due to weather. I was able to fly non stop in first class on United.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

If you yourself are good at shopping and browsing for flights....just use "Google Flight". It shows ALL of the flights except Southwest going to where you are punching in.

When you book it takes you to that airlines site. I pretty much travel for a living. I quit using 3rd party sites like Kayak and Orbitz years ago because they have a HUGE risk.

The risk is that since they are selling leftover seats at a discount....the actual airline makes little and owes YOU nothing. If you get delayed on site to catch your return.....the airlines do next to nothing for you. They only owe you the money spent. They did not book your flight and you did not book with them. Weather issues? You go to the end of the line. Locked in due to weather or a flight/crew stack up? They do not owe you a hotel. If you need to change flights mid-stream because something changed or got delayed....they owe you nothing and many times you have no options.
Miss your flight because of something out of your control? They owe you nothing.

Ray
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Enough acronyms?

CX cancellation
PAX - passengers

So…

I was booked from JFK to SJC via DL in J, but the second leg went MX and the next flight Wx. Luckily I got NS J via UA to SFO.

Means “ I was flying from NY to San Jose on Delta , the second leg cancelled due to a plane problem and my second cancelled due to weather. I was able to fly non stop in first class on United.

WKR- Wanker
Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

I use Expedia or Priceline or whatever on one device to find the cheap flights, then use a different device to log directly into the airline to book the flight I want.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

CX cancellation
PAX - passengers

So…

Long ago I was an AZAN (SAR) in the USNR-R assigned to VF-301 which was part of CAWR-30. I was a PC on the F8 and F4, later worked in MC.
English: I was an Aviation Maintenance Administration Airman in the United States Ready Reserve assigned to Fighter Squadron 301. I was a Plane Captain on the F8 Crusader and the F4 Phantom, both fighter aircraft and later worked in Maintenace Control.

During my working days in the IRS acronyms were constantly in use. We had a few new hires coming in and I thought it would be handy to create a list of common acronyms and their English translations for them. I got my list up to over 75, and with the help of a few friends the final list was over 140. There were acronyms we used *daily.*
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Enough acronyms?

CX cancellation
PAX - passengers

So…

WKR- Wanker
Wink

How did the Bahamas creep,into this thread?

Very Happy
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Great tips, thank you kindly to all.

Q-Dog wrote:
I use Expedia or Priceline or whatever on one device to find the cheap flights, then use a different device to log directly into the airline to book the flight I want.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
If you yourself are good at shopping and browsing for flights....just use "Google Flight". It shows ALL of the flights except Southwest going to where you are punching in.

When you book it takes you to that airlines site. I pretty much travel for a living. I quit using 3rd party sites like Kayak and Orbitz years ago because they have a HUGE risk.

The risk is that since they are selling leftover seats at a discount....the actual airline makes little and owes YOU nothing. If you get delayed on site to catch your return.....the airlines do next to nothing for you. They only owe you the money spent. They did not book your flight and you did not book with them. Weather issues? You go to the end of the line. Locked in due to weather or a flight/crew stack up? They do not owe you a hotel. If you need to change flights mid-stream because something changed or got delayed....they owe you nothing and many times you have no options.
Miss your flight because of something out of your control? They owe you nothing.

Ray

I use kayak, and they just push you off onto the carrier's website, where you book directly with them. I assume they make some money on the referral.

If your flight is cancelled due to weather, or something beyond the airlines control, the airlines don't buy you a hotel. If it is cancelled because of mechanical or something else within the airlines control, they do get you a hotel room.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Airline deals, tips please. Reply with quote

Avoid Jet Blue.
They Truly Suck.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: