Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
neat story.

Truck I drive at work, almost $400 for half a tank. Steve, I never would have guessed you were almost 72.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Turn 72 soon. It actually happened - I bought my first $100 tank of gas today!!!!

I had a rental pickup truck a couple of weeks back that wouldn't start one morning. So I called AAA for a jump and called the rental company for a replacement and was told to go to a nearby competitors place to pick up my exchange truck. The truck I turned in had an empty tank and the one I picked up had an almost full tank. I asked how they were going to handle the difference and was told they were going to ignore it.

A couple of days later when I turned the second truck in at the airport I figured I would show up with a mostly empty tank and see what would happen. Since the rental company had no records for their competitors truck I got charged nothing for fuel. My total savings were somewhat over $120. Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
SGKent wrote:
neat story.

Truck I drive at work, almost $400 for half a tank. Steve, I never would have guessed you were almost 72.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wow. $5.28 a gallon. Is yours diesel? Got you beat there, it was $6.39 a gallon for E-10 gasoline here (and more at all the other stations nearby).
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
andrewtf wrote:

Wow have Regular Emma and I learned a lot since our first posts...............
{I sent Emma and three of her college friends from Illinois to California in a '75 Riviera that I had owned for 10 days, and knew nothing about. They knew even less. The engine got completely toasted in Eureka (Sound familiar?)}.

When I got my '77 I spent a week fixing it up, drove it to town and back and then my wife and daughter drove it 2800 miles from Oregon to New York in 2 1/2 days.

in ‘93, (age 23) took my first 77 westy from Daytona to Eugene Or., by way of the grand canyon and then back to Daytona through Denver over the course of 5 months. Vanlife before vanlife was a thing. Two weeks later, loaded down with everything we owned, took it from Daytona to NH.

broke down several times and just kept going. Push started from Kansas to Thousand Oaks Ca., until one pop start too many broke a shaft. had a spare one stowed below rear seat. Got stuck in East St Louis for 2 weeks when FI died. Learned the entire system in order to get going again with just a Muir book. Got across the river westbound the morning they shut the bridge down due to the Great Flood.

its not rocket science but you do need to have some sort of mechanical ability to figure things out.

since the OP is no longer interested in our help or opinions I figure we might as well step all over his thread.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:

Sometimes what you think will be a short trip ends up being longer than you thought. Very Happy

This is the Bay Bus forum. We are all about long strange trips.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

So, what's the weather like where you are?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Sometimes what you think will be a short trip ends up being longer than you thought. Very Happy

ROFL.... Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

well, at least when the OP posts back that they need some NLA part, or he wonders if $8900 is a fair price to swap a widget, it will be easy for him to find this thread.

That said, about 20 years ago coming back from LA to Sacramento I am driving next to a nice Mercedes on I-5 in the middle of no where, and all of a sudden his engine just revs like hell, engine blows some smoke, and the car loses forward momentum. He pulls over to check it out, and I pull over to make sure he is Ok or doesn't need a ride etc.. Turns out his girlfriend bumped the automatic shifter with her arm into neutral while she was turning around to talk to the people in the back of the car. Maybe this story had such a happy ending too.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
well, at least when the OP posts back that they need some NLA part, or he wonders if $8900 is a fair price to swap a widget, it will be easy for him to find this thread.

That said, about 20 years ago coming back from LA to Sacramento I am driving next to a nice Mercedes on I-5 in the middle of no where, and all of a sudden his engine just revs like hell, engine blows some smoke, and the car loses forward momentum. He pulls over to check it out, and I pull over to make sure he is Ok or doesn't need a ride etc.. Turns out his girlfriend bumped the automatic shifter with her arm into neutral while she was turning around to talk to the people in the back of the car. Maybe this story had such a happy ending too.

That reminds of the time around 1991 that my best friend, who had a '70 Westfalia when I had my '71 Westfalia, was coasting down the mountain in neutral outside of Boone, NC and the shifter somehow slipped into 2nd gear while doing about 55-60 mph. Plumes of black smoke poured out of the tailpipe as the engine made a loud revving noise. It definitely cleaned out all carbon. Strangely, the engine seemed to run better afterwards, but something did break...the nosecone, I believe?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
SGKent wrote:

That reminds of the time around 1991 that my best friend, who had a '70 Westfalia when I had my '71 Westfalia, was coasting down the mountain in neutral outside of Boone, NC and the shifter somehow slipped into 2nd gear while doing about 55-60 mph. Plumes of black smoke poured out of the tailpipe as the engine made a loud revving noise. It definitely cleaned out all carbon. Strangely, the engine seemed to run better afterwards, but something did break...the nosecone, I believe?
Smile
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Don't I know it! Very Happy

Link

Link
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Gas here in Metro Vancouver BC can be as high as $233.9 a liter for regular. That's about $8.84 a US gallon. 60 liters in my Dodge yesterday was $130.75 at a slightly cheaper price and a discount coupon.

Supposedly going up to $240 a liter soon. Got to fill my bus with Supreme today!! That will probably be around $250 a liter.

Enjoy your cheap gas my southern friends.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

It seems we have just about quit making small cars in the US, while for decades we have essentially been paying people to buy light trucks and SUV's. If someone didn't think we would eventually pay the price they have forgotten how to think.

If someone wants to drive 200 miles to their nearest Walmart to save a $20 on their weeks groceries, they should be riding an electric bike instead of driving a double cab F350.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Could not agree more. A lot of big trucks on our street. Wonder how may will disappear if the gas prices stays high. Got to have something to tow those big boats and trailers though.

Don't think I'll be riding an e bike to the grocery store any time soon. I'm in my mid 70's. I'd rather walk. Dodge is a Class B MH.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Quote:
t seems we have just about quit making small cars in the US, while for decades we have essentially been paying people to buy light trucks and SUV's. If someone didn't think we would eventually pay the price they have forgotten how to think.

If someone wants to drive 200 miles to their nearest Walmart to save a $20 on their weeks groceries, they should be riding an electric bike instead of driving a double cab F350.

no civilization has lasted that was built on inefficiency. If someone invents a better mousetrap that can be sold for less, eventually it will become the dominant mousetrap. A friend used to have a beautiful framed poster size photograph behind his desk at work. It was a mountain stream with trees surrounding it, and water flowing over and around many boulders. I asked him if it was a place he had been. He said, "no, I keep it there to remind me that no matter how hard anyone might try to stop the water, it will find a way around them." This is also true for those who think they can artificially raise the price of fuel to force others to buy electric cars. It will never last. The only people profiting off this scam right now are those who own the well heads. Eventually the money they are making will buy a new class of politicians, the political lines on earth will be changed again, and new leaders will use their political power to change laws allowing them to have more power. I was 21 in Feb 1972 when President Richard Nixon went to China to help them because they were starving and millions were dying of hunger there. We gave them food, and helped them in hopes they would be our friends for life. Today, 50 years later they are using what we gave them to build nuclear missiles and weapons to use against us. They finance countries against us as we artificially make ourselves less efficient at producing things. In 50 years They went from a country that could not feed themselves to one where they could take over the world. We are now short on even baby formula. There are now claims that the Chinese have even used their power and money to influence the decisions the leaders at the top of our government make. Our youth, at least a good part, don't even get the same education that we had 50 years ago. And worse, threads like this begin because someone on a 5000 mile road trip had no plans what to do if he broke down. We must become more self sufficient if we are to survive this age.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

You guys are hilarious!

99% of us got our VW baptism/welcome to the world of air cooled as youngsters on a similar xxxx mile trip in a VW and we survived and met a lot of great people along the way, and fell in love with VWs.

Back then it was oh shit, I got to fix this at the side of the road and within a day had new friends helping us out and within a day or two, found VW guy somewhere close by or a wrecker who had parts and we managed. That was how I grew up and still see it happening today.

The only difference now is that we have smart phones/internet/social media and a terrible tendency to inform anyone and everyone our minute by minute thoughts as they happen. This breakdown happens to 100s of people daily and has always happened but we just didn't hear about it unless it was a family member.

Additionally, what's with all the doom and gloom about gas prices too? We live in $500,000 + houses, drive $40,000+ cars, have $xxxxx hobbies, spend $1000s of dollars on VW parts, lawn maintenance, going out for dinner, cigs, booze, fancy coffees, car washes, kids, etc, etc and drive VWs that sip gas for fun. Wouldn't take much to reduce what we spend on a few of these to offset the extra $50 on each tank of gas.

Anyway, happy Friday as we finally have some nice weather here in the PNW going into a long weekend here in Canada. Enjoy.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Sat May 21, 2022 12:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
since the OP is no longer interested in our help or opinions I figure we might as well step all over his thread.

So, what's the weather like where you are?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Gloomy here in San Diego. It drizzled rain a bit last night. It’s like this every May and June
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Link

Link

2 great references. I assume you know the story between Tom Waits and Pee-Wee Herman?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Link

Link

2 great references. I assume you know the story between Tom Waits and Pee-Wee Herman?

Not the Tom Waits version, forget it……

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: