Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obviously, my car needs washed badly after sitting, but last time I washed it, water was leaking in as I believe these seals are lacking a lock strip to push the seal against the body. I'd like to rectify this before I wash it again and put a cover on it (car is in my "garage"- more of a glorified 100+ year old shed of sorts). I'll try to get a better picture of the profile at the open end ofthe gap with my macro lense adapter for my phone when I dig it up. The profile looks like a diamond shape in the recessed area. Not very wide obviously. What do you guys think should be my course of action? This is how I got the car as a rolling, repainted shell, essentially, with the glass in.

Something like this looks like it might fit these seals:

https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-chrome-window-tri...gIwo_D_BwE

Not sure what to do with the gap at the bottom of the windshield... Confused Perhaps it should be replaced with a different one. I think I have a seal that came with my wagon, but I need it for that car to put the replacement windshield in, can't remember where that one came from if the PO said.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

Those seals are a strange profile.

Those look a bit like bay window bus seals. I have two seals in my 412 coupe that are bay window rubber. Front windshield and left rear quarter window. They...."work"...simply because there is enough cross section....but the shape is kind of big and rounded compared to original.

But none of the corners are molded to fit so on tight curves you have to notch or grind rubber away on the ID to make the curve and apply sealer.

Those may be bus rubber that had the keyway/groove. But...some rubber on some car types needed a wedge shaped chrome strip to lock and on other models the chrome strip was a scallop shape in a groove and did no locking.

Its possible yours is just leaking at the corners because of buckling. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought my front screen seal/rubber from a guy “ficto947” on eBay in the Netherlands. The profile is correct as is the slot for the chrome/stainless strip that embellishes the seal.

Whatever you are using, I wouldn’t. The seals are designed to be a tight fit around the laminated glass and then a tight fit into the body pressing aperture for the windshield, giving a water tight seal. You have a gap in your seal, so none of it is under the correct tension around the glass, or compression in the body aperture. I doubt this will ever seal without tubes of black sealer.

BR,

Rob

Last edited by Hawker on Sat May 21, 2022 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

Well, I imagine the original idea of the PO or whoever did this was to have a flexible-type lock strip with a wedge shape that would spread the seal open to contact the body, and I can see that it might be within the realm of possibility. Of additional concern is the gap at the bottom- why? Confused I mean, I guess if it was done in a rush, yeah, just pop it in with 1/2" too short... Mad
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

Ok, been combing through old STF posts, seems PO supposedly used the revolks gaskets. Why the gap at the bottom, then if these were made to fit? Confused Also, this car ran with original D-Jet when the PO acquired it- I must have missed getting some boxes of parts, because there ended up being a lot of missing parts. I was up in his garage attic handing down boxes and containers, probably I missed some from excitement, exhaustion, confusion-you name it. Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
Ok, been combing through old STF posts, seems PO supposedly used the revolks gaskets. Why the gap at the bottom, then if these were made to fit? Confused Also, this car ran with original D-Jet when the PO acquired it- I must have missed getting some boxes of parts, because there ended up being a lot of missing parts. I was up in his garage attic handing down boxes and containers, probably I missed some from excitement, exhaustion, confusion-you name it. Laughing

I never got to actually "see" the Revolks seals. But I did hear some commentary that while they were the correct cross section.....some of the corner curves were not molded into correct shape. It was mostly straight line profile from what I heard. That is what causes that "pull" at the corners.
This is also the same drawback of the Bay window bus gaskets....which otherwise work quite well.

I have been contemplating an original remake gasket set from that Kiever link in Holland.....bit also....and I have been "threatening" to try/test this method.....the late type 3 gaskets....are essentially the same profile on the outside lip, the glass groove,
and the body metal slot/groove....everything ....except....that back portion of the seal where the little conforming seal lips are is a couple of mm shorter.

So, I have been thinking that if I can get say....two windshield and two rear windshield fastback gaskets that are quality material and quality molding for say a 1972 type 3 fastback.....I can cut them up with a single bevel blade and jig...and use the molded curved corners...join them with excellent EPDM adhesive....and they will be an excellent fit. I can order whatever other seals I need to cut and join the quarter windows.

What parts are you missing for your D-jet?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 windshield and window seals, unknow type, need lockstrip? Reply with quote

I actually have most of the D-Jet parts, including the computer, wiring harness, plenum and runners, MPS, fuel pump, fuel rails, injector clamps, new injectors and other assorted small parts. It's so many engine ancillaries I didn't get somehow, but with a jumbled assembly of extras of the things I did get. I somehow got virtually no nuts or bolts/fasteners for anything. Luckily, I do have several containers full of fasteners and small parts here from one I parted out. I think I'm getting close with the major stuff for the engine. I'm also short on confidence I can get it back together and actually running right with these ancient FI parts... Sad

Car is all cleaned up now, garage still pathetic- yes those are gaps around the swing out doors (not my doing).

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: