Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Quality in 2022
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gospeedgo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Hello,

I am starting to work on my 1963 Euro Ragtop again after a few years away from the hobby. I will convert it to 12 volt and have already purchased a Bosch alternator. I am looking at the Alternator Conversion kits with EMPI parts and their cooling tin. When I last followed the hobby, EMPI was known for cheap parts. How do they compare to OE parts now?

How is the quality of all their other parts?

Thank you in advance.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

I’m sure some people love them and have never had issues, but I find it best to stay away. Buy OG (original German) or anybody's else's parts except theirs.

Hell, I’d prefer to run Autozone parts over EMPI. At least Autozone gives a lifetime warranty on their crap.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Any engine tins, Garbage, you always have to fight to get them fit.

I've heard that cranks are good. Cams, not so good.

Headers are, Eh! I have one that I use for racing. But otherwise, it fits horribly.

You have to be selective with EMPI parts these days. Just like in the past days.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Consider heading to Bug O Rama on Memorial Day Sunday in Sacramento. I'm sure you can find what you need there and have some fun too.
gospeedgo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Thank you for the information, that was what I was afraid of.

I may have a local lead on a used set of OG German alternator backing plates and the cooling fan washers and nut. Just need to track down an OG German Alternator Pulley or get an Flat 4 or CB Performance OE style billet pulley.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Somehow... I think most people in the game still haven't realized that EMPI is the same as CHINA.
Some of their products are fantastic! Other times not so much.
Even CB makes most of their products in china and Brasil. They just have much better QC and they actually design their parts.

If for some reason you just cannot live with China products even though the car you drive likely is 50% China at this point, you can move to,

Autocraft
JPM motorsports
DPR
Dan Rudock (I think)
etc

Personally, I sourced a "German" internally regulated Bosch alternator. But, Carcraft sells TONS of these Chinese alternator kits. That in itself says something.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Empi, and CB are some of the very few creating/offering new components for Aircooled VW’s. The automotive aftermarket has negatively changed in the last couple of years, and may never return to what it was in 2019. If you’re dead set against Chinese components, you’re going to have an expensive/short lived return to the hobby, while others are happily driving around with Empi/Chinese parts on their VW. EVERY mainstream retailer has their lesser quality items because cheap enthusiasts continue to buy them. Would I buy a translucent colored distributor cap from Empi? No. Would I buy an orange bakelite cap/rotor with a condenser, and hd spring points that Empi has begun manufacturing because Bosch has discontinued them? Absolutely....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Empi, and CB are some of the very few creating/offering new components for Aircooled VW’s. The automotive aftermarket has negatively changed in the last couple of years, and may never return to what it was in 2019. If you’re dead set against Chinese components, you’re going to have an expensive/short lived return to the hobby, while others are happily driving around with Empi/Chinese parts on their VW. EVERY mainstream retailer has their lesser quality items because cheap enthusiasts continue to buy them. Would I buy a translucent colored distributor cap from Empi? No. Would I buy an orange bakelite cap/rotor with a condenser, and hd spring points that Empi has begun manufacturing because Bosch has discontinued them? Absolutely....

This was a very well stated point. I couldn't agree more - you have to pick and choose, and I really wish our aftermarket had a better quality overall. That said, I think there are some smaller companies out there making some really top quality stuff and I try to support them where appropriate.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

I'd take AA over Empi these days.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

All manufactures have certain products that suck. Some more than others. The US made vs China is a waste of time. Both countries have a lower and high grade of products. For example: imo Empi black split boots rock, Febi not so much. Empi 90 amp alternators are pretty good. Their tin is not.

With the aricooled crowd most buyers want "cheap", so it makes sense for the middleman to stock "cheap". Just the way it works.
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK I know I should have known better, but I was interested in adjustable rear torsion arms for my 1967 Beetle. I ordered the necessary pieces from JBugs. $235 worth. The urethane bushings and the arms. Not an easy install for a 72 year old fart machinist. Started at 8 am got done at 2:30 pm. Well not really. The spines on the adjustable arms were undersize. Maybe the broch was worn out. The original arms slide on and off. The EMPI can't be pounded on. I have contacted JBugs as I wish to return the "junk" and I don't need the bushings either. Never again.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

As has already been stated here... it depends.

I received a stainless header over the weekend and was quite surprised to see the quality of the fabrication of the parts. Welded and smooth as a baby's ass on the inside and just a well made piece.

It's quite a pain in the balls when you get a turd delivered to your door. I feel for ya Geezer. Crying or Very sad

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

It's hit and miss with EMPI. I just built a motor, and the EMPI Tins SUCKED. So much cutting, bending, fitting.

However, it has a set of EMPI HPMX 44 dual carbs an they worked perfectly right out of the box. Just synced them and that's it.

In summary, it depends on the part...
alindeman1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

I see alot of mentions of empi tins sucking. Anyone know where to get a decent fitting fan shroud and tins set? Scat ones have been outa stock for a while. Anyone use the fan shroud from concept 1?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/8895.html?utm_conten...gIt9PD_BwE
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Quality in 2022 Reply with quote

alindeman1989 wrote:
I see alot of mentions of empi tins sucking. Anyone know where to get a decent fitting fan shroud and tins set? Scat ones have been outa stock for a while. Anyone use the fan shroud from concept 1?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/8895.html?utm_conten...gIt9PD_BwE

The only good fitting tin you’re going to find is from Volkswagen….

The Scat, Empi, and Bugpack tin never fit as well as oem. Scat is out of stock of a lot of things. I’m beginning to wonder if they’re getting out of the VW stuff after the sale.

The Concept 1 shroud is the only oem shape new shroud, but I’m not a fan of the Type 4 cooler.

This is what I’d be getting if you have to have new tins.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477466
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: