Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
that is good to know. If it is a 1977, is it a California FI Bay, A 49 state FI bay, a Canadian market bay, or has it been modified to carb(s)?

Oh oops o thought I had put that all in my first post!
It's a 77 FI. Fairly certain Canadian market. (no propane) but not sure if that's the difference-maker.

I've got someone coming to help check the double relay today. All the tests I can do solo checked out (so it's getting power) but when I turn the key there's no click or whir of the fuel pump.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

So the question is, how do I test to see why my FI fuel pump is not working?
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
So the question is, how do I test to see why my FI fuel pump is not working?

Just had someone come take a look and help me. He tapped the fuel pump while I was cranking and now it starts. Smile

Ordering a new pump now!

And it turns out the battery light had a flaky connection in the bulb

For the pump, is it worth the extra for the Bosch? Or are the cheaper ones ok?
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

Does anyone know of some step by step instructions somewhere on how to replace my new Bosch FI fuel pump ? (I also ordered a new fuel filter, might as well while I'm at it)

It looks really straightforward but I've been wrong about that before. 😂
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

two nuts and two wires. Make sure + to + , and - to -.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Does anyone know of some step by step instructions somewhere on how to replace my new Bosch FI fuel pump ? (I also ordered a new fuel filter, might as well while I'm at it)

Yes it is quite straight forward, buy some fuel line clamps. This is one style, there are others. The pictured ones are from Harbor Freight, but most any FLAPS will have them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
77_Bus_Girl wrote:

Yes it is quite straight forward, buy some fuel line clamps. This is one style, there are others. The pictured ones are from Harbor Freight, but most any FLAPS will have them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh perfect! I was wondering how to block the hoses! Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:

Oh perfect! I was wondering how to block the hoses! Thanks.
Be wary when dealing with gasoline, the stuff has multiple ways of harming you.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

You want closed band clamps in fuel lines , like brand ABA or Norma. You don’t want the cheap open type thst look like cheesegraters because that’s what they do to your hoses. If you really want to GoPro you use oetiker clamps like car makers do. These are one time use clamps that don’t loosen up.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

No Flaps Auto up here so simple options to stop gasoline flow are a pair of small long nose vicegrips or a small C clamp but use a cloth or similar so the hose doesn't get knicked. Canadian Tire or other auto parts places like Lordco sell proper fuel hose clamps. If your tank is close to empty and you have a gas can, it may be a good time to drain the tank completely and then install a shut off valve between the tank and filter so future changes are easier.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

I use needle-nose vice grips with gorilla tape wrapped around the tips. And, I don't over tighten.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

Thanks all! I've tracked down some clamps to stop the gas flow. The pump is on its way (should be here Monday) and hopefully I can manage it!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

and a new filter too I hope. Also, if you haven't replaced the fuel line before, be aware that the piece from the filter to the pump is a different size than the rest.
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
and a new filter too I hope. Also, if you haven't replaced the fuel line before, be aware that the piece from the filter to the pump is a different size than the rest.

Yup. New filter too. (Though it's only a year old)

And I was noticing that it's a different size. I don't have any fuel hose as I usually have my mechanic do it every 5 years or so. I guess I'll have to buy some in 2 sizes. Will a place like napa carry it? Or is it some weird VW only size?
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yup. New filter too. (Though it's only a year old)

And I was noticing that it's a different size. I don't have any fuel hose as I usually have my mechanic do it every 5 years or so. I guess I'll have to buy some in 2 sizes. Will a place like napa carry it? Or is it some weird VW only size?

Napa will have fuel injection hose close to the small diameter hose but probably not the large diameter hose. Try German Supply out of Toronto or if you are desperate, CIP1 here in Delta but order the most expensive metric German hose, otherwise they will send you something cheap that doesn't fit well.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

Update! I managed to replace the pump and filter and he fired right up! I suspect that was also the reason last time he was in the shop the mechanic mentioned he hiccupped once or twice then was fine.

Only took me 3 hours. Haha. Took almost an hour to get it off as I'm a bit of a wimp. And would have been way easier if he was raised up as it was crazy awkward. But done! Thanks for your help all!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key, engine just barely tries to turn then dies completely. Reply with quote

awesome. Good job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: