Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

I've searched here and on youtube and have only found a video on the water pump replacement. Is there a tutorial on the crossover pipe, thermostat and housings somewhere? Preventative maintenance I want to do before heading out this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

It’s on my list too. Tstat stuck open on mine. Blocked off radiation with cardboard for the winter. Kept temps around 180/190. It’s not too bad in summer with cardboard out. Usually gets to temp fine if it’s 60 or higher.

It’s basically the same as the golf vr6. Only difference is I think t stay housingnis a little harder to get to but the crack pipe is easier to access with how the engine is turned at an angle to shoehorn it into the Eurovan bay.

I’m in the process of building a garage with a lift so I’m trying to hold out on this project until the garage is up and make my life that much easier.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

@bcolins: I don't know of a itemized DIY but there are posts here and at VW Vortex that you can piece together for all the necessary info. A few words to the wise:
1) Consider replacing the temp sensors/orings in the tstat housing, if they haven't been replaced in recent memory (e.g. 5 years or so). These are reachable after the fact so not critical, though it does require a partial coolant drain to swap them out.
2) Check the oil cooler lines - they are frequently soft. Consider replacing them if so. The stock lines are NLA but there are other VW parts that are usable as a replacement.
3) Upon reinstalling the cross over pipe, use a bit of lubricant (valve lube, vaseline or similar) to keep the o-ring from getting damaged. Also, make sure the recepticle at he water pump end is clean (scotch brite pad or similar).
4) If water pump is crusty, it may need persuasion to remove.
5) I suggest pressure or vacuum testing the cooling system when complete to locate any leaks prior to refill. The vacuum system is also very helpful to refill as it avoids the air pocket in the heater core.

@ Whridlsoncestood: If you haven't already, troubleshoot the following:
a) the vacuum signal from the brake booster, through the vacuum solenoid (directly below the brake booster) to the heater diverter valve.
b) the heater diverter valve itself
c) The after run coolant circulation pump

Issues with anyone of those items will result in symptoms similar to a stuck tstat, namely difficulty in reaching operating temp and little/no heat, especially noticeable in cool/cold weather.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. I did replace the after run pump already. It was shorting out fuse and ultimately what was causing the ac system to be non functioning when I bought the van a year and a half ago.

I’ve meant to look into the other two vacuum possible points of failure but haven’t had the time yet.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

I just did this.
I ended up taking the front of the bus off

Below are steps found somewhere on this site

A few steps to get you going (off the top of my head):

1. Remove the grille
2. Remove the corner lights
3. Remove the big piece of bodywork below the grille.
4. Remove the headlights.
5. Remove the screws and bolts, unplug fog lights on the bumper cover.
6. Pull off the bumper cover.
7. Remove the bottom pan.
8. Remove unplug fan resistors, take off all of the
wiring clips unattach emissions fan motor.
9. Drain coolant.
10.Unbolt top of radiator and remove hoses, expansion tank and wires
for fans and fan switch.
11 Remove radiator (pull up on it)
12. Remove tow hook extension.
13 Remove bumper.

The bumper was not to bad getting off

I relplaced the the oil cooler hoses, GoWesty has them

https://gowesty.com/collections/euro-van-mechanical/products/oil-cooler-to-engine-block-hose

https://gowesty.com/collections/euro-van-mechanical/products/oil-cooler-to-water-pipe-hose

The water pump was not bad, draw a picture of the v-belt for reinstall.
Getting the thermostat off is a challenge as the torx screws were a bit soft and would strip, you can get the front 2 off with vice grips if they don't want to come off gracefully, I ended up breaking the old tstat off and removing the third screw after removal of tstat. I used a long torx screw #5 to reinstall.
Getting the crack pipe out took some back and forth work put it will eventually come out. Installing the new one with new gaskets that were lubed was fairly easy. I tried to replacing any bulging hoses with similar ones from the local flaps.
I replaced the heater control valve, and any vacuum line connections that seemed soft. This took me 2 - 3 weeks as I was not in much of a rush and rust proofed and tread rust on parts removed and exposed.

the link below has a good view of the coolant connections and flow

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695947
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
I’ve meant to look into the other two vacuum possible points of failure but haven’t had the time yet.

If there is no vacuum to the heat diverter valve or the valve doesn't close with a vacuum signal present, it results in a condition where the thermostat is essentially bypassed.

The two states for the diverter valve are as follows:
1) Engine off = diverter valve in the OPEN position. This is due to the solenoid venting the vacuum to atmospheric pressure when there is no voltage on the solenoid. This ultimately allows the afterun pump to do its job and keep the block/head from overheating due to heat soak and lack of primary coolant flow through the main waterpump.

2) Engine on = diverter valve closed. This is due to the intake manifold vacuum connected to vacuum solenoid closing to atmosphere under 12V supplied to the solenoid and allowing vacuum to actuate the heater diverter valve.

A quick and dirty test is to clamp off the hose immediately upstream of the diverter valve. If you're unsure of the direction of coolant flow, its ok to clamp off either side temporarily for the purposes of testing.
Use coolant hose clamping pliers or fashion one out of a small c-clamp, some small wood blocks covered with foam (pool noodle) or similar material that avoids cutting the coolant hose.

Take a quick test drive to see if coolant reaches operating temperature, within 5-10 minutes. Of course you'll have to remove your radiator block off or other temporary mods you are currently using to mitigate the issue. DONT LEAVE THE CLAMPS ON for more than a few minutes after shut down as it will block coolant to the after run pump.

If it does readily reach operating temp, either the diverter valve has failed, you have a vacuum leak or the vacuum solenoid is dead (also equates to a vacuum leak). You can bench test the vacuum solenoid with a 9v battery or similar voltage source (should hear it click when voltage is applied).

If you have a vacuum hand pump or test gauges, you can troubleshoot a bit more systematically.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Whridlsoncestood wrote:

If there is no vacuum to the heat diverter valve or the valve doesn't close with a vacuum signal present, it results in a condition where the thermostat is essentially bypassed.

The two states for the diverter valve are as follows:
1) Engine off = diverter valve in the OPEN position. This is due to the solenoid venting the vacuum to atmospheric pressure when there is no voltage on the solenoid. This ultimately allows the afterun pump to do its job and keep the block/head from overheating due to heat soak and lack of primary coolant flow through the main waterpump.

2) Engine on = diverter valve closed. This is due to the intake manifold vacuum connected to vacuum solenoid closing to atmosphere under 12V supplied to the solenoid and allowing vacuum to actuate the heater diverter valve.

A quick and dirty test is to clamp off the hose immediately upstream of the diverter valve. If you're unsure of the direction of coolant flow, its ok to clamp off either side temporarily for the purposes of testing.
Use coolant hose clamping pliers or fashion one out of a small c-clamp, some small wood blocks covered with foam (pool noodle) or similar material that avoids cutting the coolant hose.

Take a quick test drive to see if coolant reaches operating temperature, within 5-10 minutes. Of course you'll have to remove your radiator block off or other temporary mods you are currently using to mitigate the issue. DONT LEAVE THE CLAMPS ON for more than a few minutes after shut down as it will block coolant to the after run pump.

If it does readily reach operating temp, either the diverter valve has failed, you have a vacuum leak or the vacuum solenoid is dead (also equates to a vacuum leak). You can bench test the vacuum solenoid with a 9v battery or similar voltage source (should hear it click when voltage is applied).

If you have a vacuum hand pump or test gauges, you can troubleshoot a bit more systematically.

Anyone know the part number for the “vacuum diverter valve”. Mike’s clearly bad as I hook my mighty vac up and it can’t pull a vac or move the lever. I can’t find the proper be part number on it. Part is stamped with an Audi logo and a short number that matches to nothing.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

1J0819809 Audi VW Heater Valve
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing 03 thermostat/housings, H2O pump, crossover--tutorial Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
1J0819809 Audi VW Heater Valve

Awesome. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: