Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown steering damper
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

Was hoping someone could tell me where this steering damper comes from. A previous owner installed it at some point in the life of the car. This is a euro, October 1958 beetle, which was originally shipped to Salzburg, Austria, and the car has spent its life in Austria. When I first bought the car I thought the PO had fabricated the damper, but look at the steering arm—that is not welded and is one “stock” complete piece. Any help would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jbannon on Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

early cars don't have a factory steering damper. this is an aftermarket add on - looks good
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

Would be very cool if you would make some measurements of the bracket and post a drawing.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
early cars don't have a factory steering damper. this is an aftermarket add on - looks good

Erik, thanks. I am aware that my car originally didn't come with a damper, which makes the steering arm so interesting. Unfortunately the damper on this one is shot, so I was wondering if it was sold back in the day as an after market item where I could find a replacement (or something close).

Thanks again.

Last edited by jbannon on Thu May 19, 2022 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would be very cool if you would make some measurements of the bracket and post a drawing.

Will do once I get the pan disassembled and off to paint.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

The bracket is the easy part. But the bracket is useless without that special pitman arm!
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

Exactly. Any ideas on the pitman arm? Aftermarket or perhaps repurposed from another manufacturer?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

The Aug 1954 VW parts book lists an optional steering damper setup, for "service installation". The giveaway to authenticity is that VW pitman arm with the extra hole for the steering damper.

Pre-Oct '52, with 22mm diameter lever shaft:
Kit: SP 67
Pitman arm: 111 415 205d
Steering damper: 111 415 809
Bolt-on mounting bracket: 111 415 815
Hex bolt: M12 x 1.5 x 40 DIN 960
Hex bolt: M12 x 1.5 x 50 DIN 960
Hex nut (2): M12 x 1.5 DIN 934
Spring washer (4): B12 DIN 137

Post Oct '52, with 28mm diameter lever shaft:
Kit: SP 67a
Pitman arm: 111 415 205c
Remaining parts as per SP 67.

An interesting period upgrade for an early car. The other thread on this topic is called "Anyone ever fabricate a steering damper bracket? Got pics?" in the '53 to '57 section, IIRC.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering dampener Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Will do once I get the pan disassembled and off to paint.

Thanks! A couple images of the pitman arm would be very interesting also. Especially if you take it off.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Here are some pictures of the pitman arm. It’s a genuine VW item. I have also included a picture of the bracket and provided info on the damper.

The damper is from “Boge” and has the following written on the surface:

Boge
Made in Western Germany
ETP 22-489
211 415 901 000

I guess the biggest question is: what years is this part appropriate for?

Any further help is appreciated.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:

I guess the biggest question is: what years is this part appropriate for?

Any further help is appreciated.

Should be good down to the end of 1955 model year. So 1956-1960. Maybe even earlier.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

It is Oct '52 to Aug '60, as per VW service installation kit SP 67a.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

I had originally planned to “upgrade” given my front beam is not original and it has the bracket welded onto the upper beam for the later style damper. However, given this piece appears period correct and Boge sells a replacement damper, I may use this instead. Any thoughts on which set up would provide a better driving experience, or should it be about the same?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown steering damper Reply with quote

I don't see how there could be a significant difference. But damper vs. no damper is another story.......which is why VW bothered to offer the SP 67a retrofit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: