Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Different Horn
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: A Different Horn Reply with quote

I'm trying to rewire my horn to the centre push of the steering wheel instead of the column button a previous owner installed. However, I've just realised that it's not an original VW horn.

I'd still like to rewire it to the centre push of the steering wheel. Is this possible with all horns or only the VW one?

I was under the impression the VW horn isn't earthed until the centre push is pressed down; this is why I'm asking the question.

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

The system works with any horn that has 2 terminals on it, a single terminal horn will require an insulated mount and the trigger wire connected to it's body, or a relay system.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

The VW horn is I think around 332 HZ but some can be higher. It gets a fused 12V to one side. The other side doesn't ground until the horn button gets hit. This reduces the chance of a short in the column causing a blown fuse or starting a fire.

Any horn will work but if the amperage is too much a relay must be used. For example if you wanted to add Fiaam dual tone air horns like on some other foreign cars, you could but you'd need a relay like the one in the Fiaam kit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile It actually is a Fiamm but just looks like one of those 'Freeway Blaster' types.

I'll get it hooked up tomorrow!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

I had one of those on Ducky, really liked the volume, the only issue is it takes a second for the compressor to spin up. The delay is unsettling in an "oh shit" moment. Likewise, you can't really do a short toot consistently.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
bayguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

Looks like a alternative to stock horn. I have a 68 bay, button doesn’t work. I disassembled the horn button took brown wire off and grounded it, horn honked
Any solutions?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

Took WHICH brown wire off WHAT? The brown wire that connects to the horn button ring should
already be grounded, and if grounding the end that normally connects to the button ring does
anything at all, then your horn circuit is miswired. Fixing that would be the solution.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

I use a 6V horn from a Beetle, it packs a nice punch!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Horn Reply with quote

beside the standard one tone horn, there was a rare double horn (335 Hz + 400 Hz, as in Karmann-Ghia) from VW called "City Horn" order no. 133 951 113.
This was mounted at the other side - could be switched on/off beside the normal one by a switch at the dashboard (I never switched it off since mounting it Wink ).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

more photos at my website https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/de-cityhorn.html

Wiring and parts list:
https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/data/documents/vw-city-horn.pdf

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: