Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake line clogs?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

Quick question. I recently rebuilt all four brakes, replaced the hoses, adjusted everything and have topped off the brake reservoir (which was dry when I bought the car) to check for leaks at the master cylinder. The fluid in the reservoir barely drained down into the system, I mean some did, but there is still a lot in the reservoir. How likely is it that I may have a clogged steel brake line? I've heard elsewhere that it is fairly uncommon, but want to verify. Thanks!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

More likely you have air in there preventing the lines filling up.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

You bled the brakes, right? What color was the fluid?
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

doug bugg wrote:

Haven't bled yet actually. Wanted to wait and make sure there wasn't a clog first.
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

zgomo wrote:
doug bugg wrote:

Haven't bled yet actually. Wanted to wait and make sure there wasn't a clog first.

Do you have the bleeders open on the wheel cylinders?
If not I don't imagine much fluid will move, with them open you can at least kinda "gravity bleed."

But still you're gonna have to just bleed the whole system to really know what you have.

I honestly have never seen a clog in a brake line... wheel cylinders and master cylinders yes, but not lines that I can remember.

Good luck.

Ben
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

polypetalous wrote:
zgomo wrote:
doug bugg wrote:

Do you have the bleeders open on the wheel cylinders?
If not I don't imagine much fluid will move, with them open you can at least kinda "gravity bleed."

But still you're gonna have to just bleed the whole system to really know what you have.

I honestly have never seen a clog in a brake line... wheel cylinders and master cylinders yes, but not lines that I can remember.

Good luck.

Ben

Oh, is it standard practice to open them after putting fluid in to allow the fluid to channel around the lines? Had not thought of that, but it does make sense.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

Yes. Open the bleeders so brake fluid can flow down to the wheel cylinders. Watch the reservoir, don't let it run empty.
In my experience the hard lines will not clog, but I have seen hard lines pinched shut. The rubber flex lines are known to collapse on the inside and prevent flow.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Yes. Open the bleeders so brake fluid can flow down to the wheel cylinders. Watch the reservoir, don't let it run empty.
In my experience the hard lines will not clog, but I have seen hard lines pinched shut. The rubber flex lines are known to collapse on the inside and prevent flow.

Can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks, I will open them up when I get home from this work trip.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

Yes, just leave the bleeders open enough so they drip, I would run a reservoir full through the lines, then bleed properly, get a qt. of fluid at least.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Yes, just leave the bleeders open enough so they drip, I would run a reservoir full through the lines, then bleed properly, get a qt. of fluid at least.

Sounds good. I already have a reservoir full waiting to go as soon as I get home. Do you let them drip one at a time or all together?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line clogs? Reply with quote

zgomo wrote:
Sounds good. I already have a reservoir full waiting to go as soon as I get home. Do you let them drip one at a time or all together?

I did this on one of mine, did one at a time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: