Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know which position in the fuse/relay panel is the relay for cruise control in a 1985 van with automatic transmission?

Does it depend on the other options the van came with?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Hello!

cruise control only came starting into year model 1986.

Do you have ATC fuses or GBC fuses on your panel?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Thank you, I will ask my friend, I'm trying to help remotely. I thought someone might say that. I just realized that in the 1985-1986 wiring diagram PDF at the bottom here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

most of the pages say 1986! Reading the table of contents, I thought the very short 1985 section was info specific to the 85 vans and the rest was shared...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

I've read somewhere 85 and 86's share some electric compnents and diagrams are a bit mixed up... It might be possible a 86 diagram would be accurate.
Not sure that helps though...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Because 86 model year production and sales began in summer of 85 people can be mistaken about the true model year.
Lots of 86 models were built in 85 and that 85 production year is shown on the driver door opening sticker of those early 86 models.
The factory wiring diagrams are intended to apply to a MODEL year, not production year.
The letter shown in the 10th digit of the vin# gives the official MODEL year.
For 85 it is F
For 86 it is G

This production vs model year variation applies to EVERY year of Vanagon because VW always started new model production in the summer.

Mark
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Because 86 model year production and sales began in summer of 85 people can be mistaken about the true model year.
Lots of 86 models were built in 85 and that 85 production year is shown on the driver door opening sticker of those early 86 models.
The factory wiring diagrams are intended to apply to a MODEL year, not production year.
The letter shown in the 10th digit of the vin# gives the official MODEL year.
For 85 it is F
For 86 it is G

This production vs model year variation applies to EVERY year of Vanagon because VW always started new model production in the summer.

Mark

Exactly, August is usually the cut out.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

This is generally true about vehicle manufacturing in the world, right? As a kid I always thought it was weird that in the later months of the year people were always talking about buying a <<that year + 1>> model car...

To my original question - if it's actually an '86, do we know which position in the fuse/relay panel is the relay for cruise control in a 1985 van with automatic transmission? Does it depend on the other options the van came with?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

The 86+ auto-trans cruise control relay socket is an add-on to the stock fuse/relay panel.
The relay socket is mounted above the stock fuse/relay panel.
Along the top edge of the panel are several slots where additional relay sockets and fuse holders can clip into place above the panel.
That is where the auto trans cruise control relay belongs.
The 86 cruise wiring diagram doesn't say which slot and other options can affect this anyway.
The diagram shows 4 thin wires going to this socket so matching the 4 wire colors is probably the best way to locate which socket it is.

The auto trans relay itself works backwards from most relays so it is required that it be the correct type of relay.
If a standard type relay is plugged into that socket then the cruise won't work.
Later year diagrams show it at the left end of the locations above the stock panel so I'd look there first to check wire colors.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Did VW offer a cruise control kit to upgrade vehicles?

If so, there was nothing to prevent its installation in earlier vehicles.

You may have needed a newer speedometer with the VSS pickup in it though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Did VW offer a cruise control kit to upgrade vehicles?

If so, there was nothing to prevent its installation in earlier vehicles.

You may have needed a newer speedometer with the VSS pickup in it though.

Dave

I had one in my 85 (12/84 production date) Time Capsule van, it's aftermarket, I still have the manual. No VSS in the speedo, even if it could be retrofitted in this model. I'm not sure who installed it, or where it was, it was disconnected and I never dared to try it prior to removal, but it had a separate stalk into the steering column cover that I have seen done before, so maybe the dealerships were selling these aftermarket installs to customers?

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Factory Cruse w/automatic trans relay location? Reply with quote

Cool, thank you Mark + everyone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: