Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarlyLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

Hey all, looking for suggestions on cleaning up/paining the suspension and underneath on my 68 bus. What’s the best way to get rid of the dirt, oil, grime, rust, etc? Does it come down to some good old fashioned manual labor? I’ve started with purple power, and a wire brush lol. I’ll probably bead blast and paint the bearing housings and brake backings since they’re out anyway. I was thinking about using POR15. Let me know what you all think!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my project!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766509&highlight=
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

www.MasterSeriesct.com silver & black is better than POR15.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

I have used several quarts of the master series silver, and I like it. Inside and outside doors, I put that stuff on everything.
I have started experimenting with another brand of a similar material, it might be a close match. KBS coating Rust seal, and their frame coating kit. I am using the KBS material on the Jetta that is now consuming all of my spare time.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

Maybe a high pressure power washer?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EarlyLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Maybe a high pressure power washer?

That's what I'm thinking. On my project post, someone recommend soak it with Super Clean and then hit it with the pressure washer. Only problem is it's immobile in the garage haha. I'll probably build a curtain and a trough-like system with plastic and hope for the best!

Check out my project!

oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

OP, have you blasted the bearing housings yet? I was wondering how you protected the insides of the housings during the blasting process. Just curious because I am considering doing the same since my Bus needs new spring bushings and it’s all coming off anyway. Thanks and good luck.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
EarlyLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
OP, have you blasted the bearing housings yet? I was wondering how you protected the insides of the housings during the blasting process. Just curious because I am considering doing the same since my Bus needs new spring bushings and it’s all coming off anyway. Thanks and good luck.

Yes, I blasted them! I stuffed rags into the holes and was just really careful around the area. worked great!

Check out my project!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

Its a dirty job. I started with Purple power scrubbing while laying on a creeper. Sanded with 80 grit and 120, everything falls in your face. Sandblasting would have saved time. Im a fan of Masterseries, nothing works as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EarlyLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice: Bay Bus suspension and undercarriage Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:

My bad, I forgot another thing I did was I put the old seals in the housing along with the rags to protect the inside before blasting!

Check out my project!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: